Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't understand transgenderism Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am being totally serious and I'm not trolling, but how is it that we accept that people are "born into the wrong body". Granted, I understand there will be certain people with medical conditions that may affect their sex, but being born with a penis and deciding that you wanna be a female really is a bit strange. It is no different from me claiming to be David Bowie and that I'm a famous rock 'n' roll star

ReputationRep:
    Gender Dysphoria is an actual psychological diagnosis where one's brain does actually operate as one of the opposite sex's would. Thus, transsexuals could just be said to be people suffering from a birth defect, that their body for some reason developed with the wrong set of chromosomes, which is the case for plenty of other genetic birth defects.

ReputationRep:
    But it is different. Every human has a combination of male and female hormones and we all have male and female traits. It's just one piece of genetic information from the sperm that determines your gender. It's medically documented that genes can go a little batshit. Every human has the potential within them to be male or female because that involves just one part of our genetic makeup. We don't all have the potential to be Bowie. If one piece of genetic information got a bit tangled it would not turn us into David Bowie but it might mean that our body doesn't match our mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    Gender Dysphoria is an actual psychological diagnosis where one's brain does actually operate as one of the opposite sex's would. Thus, transsexuals could just be said to be people suffering from a birth defect, that their body for some reason developed with the wrong set of chromosomes, which is the case for plenty of other genetic birth defects.
    I personally think they should be given psychological treatment then rather than pandering to their odd fantasy, I know that sounds very harsh but I'm no good at wording things nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    I personally think they should be given psychological treatment then rather than pandering to their odd fantasy, I know that sounds very harsh but I'm no good at wording things nicely
    I think the defect that they suffer from is being of the wrong gender, and I don't really think you can solve that life long issue with psychological treatment. It isn't just their brain, it's their entire body.

And I don't really think people decide to make such a huge change based on an 'odd fantasy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    But it is different. Every human has a combination of male and female hormones and we all have male and female traits. It's just one piece of genetic information from the sperm that determines your gender. It's medically documented that genes can go a little batshit. Every human has the potential within them to be male or female because that involves just one part of our genetic makeup. We don't all have the potential to be Bowie. If one piece of genetic information got a bit tangled it would not turn us into David Bowie but it might mean that our body doesn't match our mind.
    How does one know that their mind is that of a female and not that of an effeminate male

ReputationRep:
    How does one know that their mind is that of a female and not that of an effeminate male
    Because like it or not, people know their minds. You may not understand how their mind works but frankly you're irrelevant to them like they are to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    I think the defect that they suffer from is being of the wrong gender, and I don't really think you can solve that life long issue with psychological treatment. It isn't just their brain, it's their entire body.

And I don't really think people decide to make such a huge change based on an 'odd fantasy'.
    Why is it that this issue seems to be a very modern, first world and middle class problem. I do realise that if it has always existed, it would have been persecuted in many cultures historically but at least one must have accepted it, if you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    One doesn't, but they do. We used to treat this as a purely psychological disorder - it didn't work. It affects mind and body so you treat mind and body. It's like if you have cancer and you're depressed because your body isn't right, you don't treat just the mind. You fix the body and the mind helps itself.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that this issue seems to be a very modern, first world and middle class problem. I do realise that if it has always existed, it would have been persecuted in many cultures historically but at least one must have accepted it, if you know what I mean
    I understand what you mean, but you can find that there were people who actually identified with this earlier.

Lili Ilse Elvenes, better known as Lili Elbe, was a Danish transgender woman and one of the first identifiable recipients of sex reassignment surgery. Elbe was born Einar Magnus Andreas Wegener and was a successful painter under that name.

To know more about this, you should watch the Danish Girl. It's a phenomenal film.

ReputationRep:
    I just wonder what is it exactly that makes someone think they're in the wrong body? What is it that makes a male want to turn himself into a female? The clothes, makeup, long hair? I don't believe that any male transitions into a female for the sake of wishing they could experience things like periods or childbirth. To an extent, gender is a social construct, and that's why I guess it's okay for males to cross-dress if they want to, or wear makeup, or have long hair, because it is usually just the materialistic side that they want to take part in. Society associates skirts with females, but that doesn't mean it's wrong if you want to wear them as a male.

Same goes for females who want to transition into becoming male. It's usually females who aren't "girly" and enjoy things like sports, and don't like makeup or dresses. It's fine to be a female who doesn't like skirts or having long hair - you can have a shaved head and wear trousers every day. But I think those females feel like they stick out just because they prefer clothing and habits that society associates with men, and so they feel like maybe they should be male and that they're "in the wrong body". Taking hormones and having your genitals surgically removed makes no sense - you are damaging your body for no reason, and still won't ever be able to function sexually in the same way as the opposite sex does. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but in my opinion that's where transgenderism becomes a mental health issue, and I don't think doctors should perform surgeries like that.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much a mental illness

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the reason that you're confused about it is that often society treats sex (male or female) and gender (masculine or feminine) as one thing, when really they're different.

You said above that you think being transgender should be treated as a psychological condition. The problem with this idea is that it suggests that gender can be changed by choice, which is similar to saying sexuality can be changed, which obviously isn't true. I read about a case study where a boy was raised as a girl and had therapy and hormone treatments, but he never felt comfortable as a girl because gender can't be changed and he went through a lot of emotional distress.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should have a little watch of this short video of Robert Sapolsky talking about the neuroscience of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3C4ZJ7HyuE

I recommended just watching his lectures anyway, Sapolsky is a great lecturer and knows how to engage with his students. I wish he was my lecturer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.