Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is no such thing as right and wrong. Morality is entirely fabricated. watch

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as objective good or evil, and no action is intrinsically right or wrong. Good and evil are completely subjective, and for the most part what we consider good or evil is just a reflection of social attitudes at the current time. For example, pedophilia was accepted in Greek times (men would have relations with teenage boys below the age of 16), but now its considered completely abhorrent.

Discuss, rebutt, support, etc
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Of course it should be noted that the fact that things considered unacceptable today were acceptable in ancient times does not mean there's no such thing as objective morality. The people in ancient times might simply have been wrong. Or we are.

Just some food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    I believe right and wrong depends on how it affects people around you,
    if your actions will hurt someone then that's wrong,
    if it will make someone happy then chances are you are probably doing the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    if it will make someone happy then chances are you are probably doing the right thing.
    Exactly! PRSOM!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    There is no such thing as objective good or evil, and no action is intrinsically right or wrong. Good and evil are completely subjective, and for the most part what we consider good or evil is just a reflection of social attitudes at the current time. For example, pedophilia was accepted in Greek times (men would have relations with teenage boys below the age of 16), but now its considered completely abhorrent.

Discuss, rebutt, support, etc
    Welcome to Nihilism

ReputationRep:
    Thats the answer OP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Deontology (the princles of right and wrong) versus ultilitarianism. I've just done an hour on it for an online nursing certificate i'm reading! They both have their place, such as i try to make the effort to tell the truth, and consider that i do it a lot more than most people. But I would tell lies, if it meant preventing harm to myself or others!

ReputationRep:
    What if "hurting" someone else benefits you or your friends/family, or what if you have to "hurt" someone to prevent someone else from hurting themselves (eg. reporting your kid's friend to the police because you are worried they are going to get your kid in trouble)?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The great philosopher Lord Voldemort once said that there is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it.

Another great philosopher Fire Lord Ozai told his son, his successor to the throne, Zuko, that there is no right or wrong apart from what you decide. Whom you choose to defend deserves to be defended simply because you chose them. That you are the Fire Lord, thus what you choose, by definition, is right.

I suppose the philosophers fighting over the right to the Iron Throne can relate and probably share similar reasonings.

In real life, philosophers of the past such as Hitler, Alexander etc. possibly felt the same about right and wrong, good and evil.

Illusions of grandeur, divinity i.e. the divine right to rule are powerful tools when confronted against such concepts. One thing is certain if nothing else; such people are always remembered regardless of what they're remembered for.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Nihilism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formless)
    Welcome to Nihilism
    ^ Damn you beat me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    What if "hurting" someone else benefits you or your friends/family, or what if you have to "hurt" someone to prevent someone else from hurting themselves (eg. reporting your kid's friend to the police because you are worried they are going to get your kid in trouble)?
    hurting someone for personal gain is selfish tbh but it really depends on the situation
    I would look for a way in between in this situation so I would talk to my child and try to explain or I would talk to their friends parents, I wouldnt take it straight to the police...
    as long as what you are doing has good intentions for others but still might 'hurt' someone then it wouldnt be a case of 'right' and 'wrong' anymore
    it would be more personal to the individual and their morales and priorities I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    The great philosopher Lord Voldemort once said that there is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it.

Another great philosopher Fire Lord Ozai told his son, his successor to the throne, Zuko, that there is no right or wrong apart from what you decide. Whom you choose to defend deserves to be defended simply because you chose them. That you are the Fire Lord, thus what you choose, by definition, is right.

I suppose the philosophers fighting over the right to the Iron Throne can relate and probably share similar reasonings.

In real life, philosophers of the past such as Hitler, Alexander etc. possibly felt the same about right and wrong, good and evil.

Illusions of grandeur, divinity i.e. the divine right to rule are powerful tools when confronted against such concepts. One thing is certain if nothing else; such people are always remembered regardless of what they're remembered for.
    Tbh, I don't think Hitlers the best philosopher to be looking at :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Quite an empty argument. Why is hurting people wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Quite an empty argument. Why is hurting people wrong?
    Maybe because you would not want someone hurting you or someone close to you so the feeling of empathy encourages you to believe hurting others is 'wrong'.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because you would not want someone hurting you or someone close to you so the feeling of empathy encourages you to believe hurting others is 'wrong'.
    If morality is nothing but a personal belief then surely you're agreeing with OP?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    Tbh, I don't think Hitlers the best philosopher to be looking at :curious:
    Who said anything about Hitler being the best philosopher?

I was simply trying to make a point (and humouring the OP, I guess). Anyone can be a philosopher it seems, and the ones remembered are the ones that applied their philosophy quite successfully to the world. Regardless of the results.

Feel free to replace the word with belief, religion, psychopathy, apathy etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    If morality is nothing but a personal belief then surely you're agreeing with OP?
    i dont see how you came to that conclusion as i never disagreed with OP
    i was merely pointing out my opinion, i said I 'believe', this is my way of deciding
    between right and wrong
    there are things that every one agrees on
    e.g stealing of an innocent is wrong, all would agree thats wrong as no one would want someone else stealing from them
    and thats why 1 person doesnt decide the law, the law is basically opinions of people living at the time at that place
    and the law is the minimum benchmark that shows right and wrong
    and these morality come from the people so it is personal but its not personal to a single person if most other people agree with it
    some people use religion to decide between right and wrong and that would be personal

ReputationRep:
    i dont see how you came to that conclusion as i never disagreed with OP
    i was merely pointing out my opinion, i said I 'believe', this is my way of deciding
    between right and wrong
    there are things that every one agrees on
    e.g stealing of an innocent is wrong, all would agree thats wrong as no one would want someone else stealing from them
    and thats why 1 person doesnt decide the law, the law is basically opinions of people living at the time at that place
    and the law is the minimum benchmark that shows right and wrong
    and these morality come from the people so it is personal but its not personal to a single person if most other people agree with it
    some people use religion to decide between right and wrong and that would be personal
    Oh sorry; I thought you were arguing for the notion of objective morality.
    Btw I think the term you're looking for is intersubjective https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersubjectivity

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.