Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have gotten into university in the UK with start September 2016. I am a EU citizen, and I am starting to worry about what will happen in the event of a Brexit.

Will I have to pay the same tuition fees as an overseas/international student if Britain leaves the EU?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone can answer this until after referendum as if we do vote to leave it'll depend on what sort of exit deal is reached. I'm wondering the same about my planned Erasmus year in 2018(although obliviously it's not as important in the overall scheme of things).

Do you already reside in the UK or are you coming here specifically to study?

ReputationRep:
    Even if Britain votes to exit, it will take some years before it is finalised. Pretty sure you'll have finished by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I don't think anyone can answer this until after referendum as if we do vote to leave it'll depend on what sort of exit deal is reached. I'm wondering the same about my planned Erasmus year in 2018(although obliviously it's not as important in the overall scheme of things).

Do you already reside in the UK or are you coming here specifically to study?
    Thank you for your reply! I will be coming specifically to study, but obviously I hope to stay afterwards for a job.
    If the overseas tuition fee is just for 1 year it shouldn't be a problem - as long as it's not all 3 years of my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squashbooster)
    Thank you for your reply! I will be coming specifically to study, but obviously I hope to stay afterwards for a job.
    If the overseas tuition fee is just for 1 year it shouldn't be a problem - as long as it's not all 3 years of my degree.
    I wouldn't worry about it. As the guy above said it'll take years to negotiate an exit if we vote out and with major issues like trade deals being having to be agreed, I would imagine that education will be one of the things near the bottom of the list to sort out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I wouldn't worry about it. As the guy above said it'll take years to negotiate an exit if we vote out and with major issues like trade deals being having to be agreed, I would imagine that education will be one of the things near the bottom of the list to sort out.
    Phew. I really thought it was going to be a deal breaker for me if the Brexit campaign won.

ReputationRep:
    It would take many years to sort, and even if it changed to international fees, that would only apply to new students as opposed to existing ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    It would take many years to sort, and even if it changed to international fees, that would only apply to new students as opposed to existing ones.
    Okay. I did Email the school about it, and the reply was simply that they could not advise me on the matter at this moment, as they did not know how the referendum turned out. Since it seems that I shouldn't worry I find it really disappointing that the school couldn't just say something like this to calm me down!

Anyway, thank you for your reply!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.