Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have received four rejections from KCL, UCL, Bristol and Durham to study law.

I am currently on my gap year, which involves working with a school in India for street children and an internship in legal aid in South Africa.

I achieved A*AA for my a levels, with the A* in History, and A's in English Literature and Geography, and I also got an A* in my Extended Project on Sharia Law in the UK. I got 25 on my LNAT, which is OK-ish considering the average this year is 23.

The only thing I can put it down to is my AS results, which were an A in Geography, C in History and a D in Maths (which I retook and got it up to a C).

I'm just very confused by the whole situation, so if anyone can share any advice please share.

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It's very competitive and the margins are fine. Rather than the AS I'd hazard a guess they just had more people with A* A*A*. Higher A levels.
    A better written ps. Did you have much Englsih law on your app?

Although very busy, you can try contacting the unis concerned to get some feedback. They may all have seen the same thing or different.
    You can try using UCAS Extra and consider other unis.

When its very competitive you will find some people are simply higher up the pecking order than you on that day and simply better.
    It may be your AS if thats the thing dividing you, but I tend to think they look at PS and A levels first.

ReputationRep:
    All the universities you applied to a very popular and competitive with many high achieving applicants.

You may be falling down on your interview technique, your reasons for wanting to study law or your work experience.

Try to get more work experience, get help with your interview technique and explore your reasons for studying law., see if they are really valid and convincing.

You don't seem to have an insurance in the universities you applied to, they all seem to be equally competitive and hard to get into.

ReputationRep:
    The universities reject you based on predicted grades that are based on your AS results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-rated)
    The universities reject you based on predicted grades that are based on your AS results
    He already has his results so that would be foolish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliman65)
    He already has his results so that would be foolish
    It's the only logical explanation I can think of for the four rejections
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How can they have based it on predicted grades, when they applied with actual grades.

The logical explanations are what ive posted. Grades not good enough. Ps or interview less attractive than others. Its competitive.

OP did you attend interview or was it just ps?

ReputationRep:
    probably a weak personal statement tbh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personal statement probably as popcorn said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How can they have based it on predicted grades, when they applied with actual grades.

The logical explanations are what ive posted. Grades not good enough. Ps or interview less attractive than others. Its competitive.

OP did you attend interview or was it just ps?
    I didn't have any interviews, so it was just my personal statement

(Original post by L_Hemming)
    I have received four rejections from KCL, UCL, Bristol and Durham to study law.

I am currently on my gap year, which involves working with a school in India for street children and an internship in legal aid in South Africa.

I achieved A*AA for my a levels, with the A* in History, and A's in English Literature and Geography, and I also got an A* in my Extended Project on Sharia Law in the UK. I got 25 on my LNAT, which is OK-ish considering the average this year is 23.

The only thing I can put it down to is my AS results, which were an A in Geography, C in History and a D in Maths (which I retook and got it up to a C).

I'm just very confused by the whole situation, so if anyone can share any advice please share.

Thanks!
    I appreciate that it must be very hard to have been rejected from 4 of your 5 choices but I think the problem is that you have picked very competitive and high ranking Universities who will have had far more able students than places apply . What was your 5th choice and have you heard back fro then yet ?

Law is extremely competitive at the best of times and if you only pick top universities there is always going to be a danger that you will be rejected by all of them. It may be your As results- for example many of students will have taken 4(and got 4 As) and you appear to have taken 3, or could just be that with so many applicants - all with excellent exam results there were better candidates than you.

As others have said- the best thing to do is to ask for feedback from all the paces that rejected you to see if there is anything in particular they didn't like about your application- although you may well find that they will say that it was just the course was oversubscribed and there were stronger candidates.

Then if you don't have any offers - think about Extra - or reapply nest year and make sure that you put a couple of universities on your application that are slightly less competitive- As a general rule it is probably a good idea to split you application 2+ 2 +1 2 ambitious, 2 realistic and 1 insurance (IE: less competitive )

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    probably a weak personal statement tbh
    I think you might be right, but surely if it was a weak personal statement I would have been rejected from Warwick as well? And my personal statement was checked by teachers multiple times
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Then its the combination of what ive pointed out. How much English legal experience did you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchingyouwatch)
    I appreciate that it must be very hard to have been rejected from 4 of your 5 choices but I think the problem is that you have picked very competitive and high ranking Universities who will have had far more able students than places apply . What was your 5th choice and have you heard back fro then yet ?

Law is extremely competitive at the best of times and if you only pick top universities there is always going to be a danger that you will be rejected by all of them. It may be your As results- for example many of students will have taken 4(and got 4 As) and you appear to have taken 3, or could just be that with so many applicants - all with excellent exam results there were better candidates than you.

As others have said- the best thing to do is to ask for feedback from all the paces that rejected you to see if there is anything in particular they didn't like about your application- although you may well find that they will say that it was just the course was oversubscribed and there were stronger candidates.

Then if you don't have any offers - think about Extra - or reapply nest year and make sure that you put a couple of universities on your application that are slightly less competitive- As a general rule it is probably a good idea to split you application 2+ 2 +1 2 ambitious, 2 realistic and 1 insurance (IE: less competitive )

Good Luck
    Thank you so much for your advice.

My fifth choice was Warwick, so I'm deciding whether to go there or apply to Nottingham or Glasgow, that still have places available in Extra.

In terms of having three AS's, it was because my English Literature course was linear, so all the modules were sat in my A2 year.

In terms of reapplying next year, I don't want to have another year out, so I have to go to university this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then its the combination of what ive pointed out. How much English legal experience did you have?
    I'd worked in a high street firm for two months in the Summer and some mooting workshops with Cambridge University, that's it really
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by L_Hemming)
    I'd worked in a high street firm for two months in the Summer and some mooting workshops with Cambridge University, that's it really
    Have you contacted any of them for feedback?
    Youll have to get used to the idea its not that you werent good, its just other people were better. There will be people with A*A*A* on most law courses.

You now have to move on and decide what your plan of action is.

ReputationRep:
    UCL probably rejected you on the LNAT. A lot of people seem to have scored really highly. Otherwise, check your PS definitely. Your work experience sounds fine and your AS grades you can't do anything about.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be trying to go back to Warwick for an applicant day visit to see if the uni/course is right for you as presume it should an unconditional offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colinj451)
    I'd be trying to go back to Warwick for an applicant day visit to see if the uni/course is right for you as presume it should an unconditional offer
    I would do that but I'm in India until May 16th and the deadline for ucas decisions is the 4th May

ReputationRep:
    Did you meet their GCSE entry requirements?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.