Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Im a first year history student at York and I really feel down in myself and that ive wasted so many years of school and hard work to end up with a worthless degree. I am on course to finish first year with a solid 2:1 (65), but I just don't know what i can do with my degree. I know in the UK I can get a good job with it on a grad scheme, as the degree isnt really what matters on the vast majority of grad schemes, but I wanted to move to the US after i graduate and try to build a career over there. I dont want to be a teacher, ive considered law after my degree (If I finish it), but I just feel like it will mean nothing over there and all my effort has gone to waste

So should I drop out and change subject or carry on? Again, i just my degree here is worth the same amount to potential employers over there...

Any help would be really appreciated
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Have you spoke to your tutor about this? And if you did drop out, what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Have you spoke to your tutor about this? And if you did drop out, what would you do?
    I have done yes, and she suggested I shouldnt...
    I am just scared that people are right and i wont get a job other than a teacher or something involving education... I hold a part time job down now and work 20+ hours each week. But i dont wanna work in a supermarket my whole life.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.