Turn on thread page Beta

Is Further Maths beneficial for Oxbridge Medicine applications? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth it, provided you're capable of doing 4 Alevels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe85)
    I'm not aware of it being either a benefit or a hindrance. Personally I'd just stick to four and avoid spreading yourself too thinly, but that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people's opinion would be the same as Democracy's. It's not really going to help you get in if you're already doing 3 science/Maths without it, getting your grades in the main 3 plus scoring highly on the BMAT and lots of work experience is valued more highly than a 4th a level in any subject, even FM. It depends on you - do you love Maths so much that you'll regret not doing it & are a bit of a Maths genius that it won't take up much more of your time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    I think most people's opinion would be the same as Democracy's. It's not really going to help you get in if you're already doing 3 science/Maths without it, getting your grades in the main 3 plus scoring highly on the BMAT and lots of work experience is valued more highly than a 4th a level in any subject, even FM. It depends on you - do you love Maths so much that you'll regret not doing it & are a bit of a Maths genius that it won't take up much more of your time?
    Thanks for your response. Maths does come easily, yes, and I do see myself getting A*'s in it as well as my other subjects. That being said, what you said about BMAT and work exp is important. Are you a med student at Oxbridge?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bearing mind correlation =/= causation, and that I am not making any comment about statistical significance:

% of Oxford medicine applicants who had further maths: 18%
    % of Oxford medicine successful applicants who had further maths: 8%.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics

ReputationRep:
    From what I know, subject choices don't really matter for your fourth A-level, it could be English or History , that's assuming your three other subjects are relevant (ie:chemistry, biology, maths, with chemistry being compulsory and Maths too for Magdalene, Cambridge). Doing four subjects won't put you above those doing three and it may disadvantage you in terms of having an extra subject to study. So if you are to do a fourth, choose a subject you are confident in getting an A*/A in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodka)
    From what I know, subject choices don't really matter for your fourth A-level, it could be English or History , that's assuming your three other subjects are relevant (ie:chemistry, biology, maths, with chemistry being compulsory and Maths too for Magdalene, Cambridge). Doing four subjects won't put you above those doing three and it may disadvantage you in terms of having an extra subject to study. So if you are to do a fourth, choose a subject you are confident in getting an A*/A in.
    Thanks for your response. A fourth subject is only allowed in my school if it is Further maths. I'm pretty confident I can get the A*. So you don't think it is beneficial, and worth the extra time? Do you think the EPQ is better? After all, there is the BMAT/UKCAT and volunteering etc which I need to concentrate on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Bearing mind correlation =/= causation, and that I am not making any comment about statistical significance:

% of Oxford medicine applicants who had further maths: 18%
    % of Oxford medicine successful applicants who had further maths: 8%.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics
    What is your interpretation of these stats?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response. A fourth subject is only allowed in my school if it is Further maths. I'm pretty confident I can get the A*. So you don't think it is beneficial, and worth the extra time? Do you think the EPQ is better? After all, there is the BMAT/UKCAT and volunteering etc which I need to concentrate on.
    Any extra subjects always 'look good on paper', but I doubt it will provide you with any advantages at all in terms of Oxbridge application, since they place a huge emphasis on interview performance. If you're confident on getting the A*, whilst not affecting the other three subjects, then I would say go for it. EPQs are becoming more and more common nowadays with medics, but I would go for the fourth subject IMO.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience I found the EPQ a really good way of focusing my knowledge on a particular area. One of my interviews was just a "what do you want to talk about...?" so the EPQ really came in handy there. I think it depends on how confident you are of being able to find time to really read beyond the curriculum( as this is REALLY important!) whilst doing the fourth a level...

nb. I got in doing 3A2's and an EPQ!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.