Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a rut. It's a really long story but begins with the fact that I have OCD and anxiety disorder (been treated but will never go completely). However, I have still always wanted to be a solicitor. So, I'm doing my degree now and I decided I should try get some work experience, so I applied and got a place with a small firm to do one day a week. I have now been three times and it is agony. I don't dislike the work or the people at all- but I get incredibly anxious about using the phone/ sending letters to clients. The problem is, I think they might be used to older students who know more stuff. I literally have never heard of most of the terms yet I have to call people about them! When I ask, they do try and help but I feel they're surprised I didn't already know and I hate continually asking when they're trying to work. It just makes me feel so stupid having to sit there and work out how to call someone about a topic I've never even heard of. It's to the extent that I am physically sick all night before I go to work experience. The real clincher is that the lady who gave me the experience is now leaving, so now I need to reapply in a sense. So this feels like my chance to quietly leave if it's too much for me. But I'd feel like a failure

ReputationRep:
    Me neither!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Have you talked to your tutor or anyone overseeing work experience?
    How long will it last for.

All trainees panic and many cry because they dont know what to do. You are obviously clever enough to do a degree, so this is what I would do.
    1. understand they invited you becayse they thought you had potential.
    2. If you start a task, then take instrcutions with a pen and notepad. Repeat what theyve asked you to the person instructing. If you dont know then ask. Solcitirs are more concerned about things being done wrong than speed.
    3. When you finish a task and learn soemthing new, then keep a diary or notes and make an entry of what you did and how you did it, so you cna refer to it again in future.
    4. As you build up skills, then you increase cnfidence as things become easier.
    5. Three days is no time at all. Start with basic tasks, like filing, making tea, bundling or looking things up, printing off cases etc.
    6. If you havent done it, then just say so or alternatively ask the secretary, she will know everything.

Imo I wouldnt leave, but would figure out to survive. You can do it. If you wnat to practice then it can be a pressurised job. Hang in there.

You can get more support from law care
    The helpine is 08002796888

http://www.lawcare.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Firstly no one knows what they're doing in the first few weeks of a job! Secondly, I can't emphasise enough how great it is that you've taken this step. It'll really differentiate you from other students when you apply for graduate schemes.That being said, if you "slip out" you'll have turned a positive into a negative for yourself. I think it's worth talking to the lady who hired you about how they think it's going. Ask her if it's possibly too early on in your study to have taken on this experience or if you've got the level of knowledge they want for a work experience candidate. I know it's scary but at least this way you'll either stay on happily or leave the door open to come back if now isn't the right time.

ReputationRep:
    The advice given so far is spot on. Leaving will not resolve the issue it just delays it until the next piece of work experience comes along.

Finding coping mechanisms will come with time, experience, training and confidence. Walking away will not give you the opportunity to gain any of those things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also think you have done extraordinarily well - you have had the initiative to sort out your own work ex - something many students older than you can't do. And now you are doing one day a week!

Well done!

I think all work ex and trainees feel like you do! Apparently simple tasks are not simple to begin with at all!

I think it is a great idea for you to ask the secretary - they will know and will want to help you.

Try asking the instructing solicitor for a precedent whenever they give you something to do - then basically this will start you off and you fill in your details into that - then get them to check your document.

'Law Student' covers a wide range - from undergrads to people who have done the LPC and therefore will have more familiarity with the terminology.

Also check if they have a subscription to Practical Law or something like that which might help you.

It will definitely definitely get easier and before you know, you will know what to do! This awful bit will pass.

You could also ask them if they have any court cases coming up - observing in Court is a really great way to learn - you could do some 'clerking' ie taking notes of all proceedings.

Try and hang in there if you can you will find it gets easier!

(Original post by pottery7)
    I'm in a bit of a rut. It's a really long story but begins with the fact that I have OCD and anxiety disorder (been treated but will never go completely). However, I have still always wanted to be a solicitor. So, I'm doing my degree now and I decided I should try get some work experience, so I applied and got a place with a small firm to do one day a week. I have now been three times and it is agony. I don't dislike the work or the people at all- but I get incredibly anxious about using the phone/ sending letters to clients. The problem is, I think they might be used to older students who know more stuff. I literally have never heard of most of the terms yet I have to call people about them! When I ask, they do try and help but I feel they're surprised I didn't already know and I hate continually asking when they're trying to work. It just makes me feel so stupid having to sit there and work out how to call someone about a topic I've never even heard of. It's to the extent that I am physically sick all night before I go to work experience. The real clincher is that the lady who gave me the experience is now leaving, so now I need to reapply in a sense. So this feels like my chance to quietly leave if it's too much for me. But I'd feel like a failure

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.