Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could Muslims do more against terrorists? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the Paris murder suspect was hiding out in the mainly Muslim district of Brussels makes a lot of people think Muslims are either actively hiding terrorists or turning a blind eye to them.

Could Muslims do more to combat terrorists given the fact all the ISS terrorists are Muslims whatever apologists might say?

If you are a Muslim and you suspect a friend or family member might be a terrorist, would you tell the authorities or you would turn a blind eye and claim they are not "real" Muslims and therefore none of your business if they blow up non Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair the vast majority of those actively fighting against and potentially dying to defeat ISIS are Muslim. We should be willing to give them credit as we sit behind our keyboards and expect other people to do the work.

ReputationRep:
    Of course we'd report it. Heck, might even bash their face in, right there, and then.

I don't think many terrorists go around telling others they're about to commit an act of terror.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh ill just message em on the muslamic whatsapp group and tell them to stop and they'll listen sorted

if i knew someone who was a terrorist id killlllll him af

ReputationRep:
    Islam will dominate Western Europe.

ReputationRep:
    When police tried to arrest the Paris bomber 200 Muslims assaulted the police trying to let him escape. Says it all really.

ReputationRep:
    wow the ignorance is sickening

ReputationRep:
    The problem isn't that muslim communities deliberately ignore known terrorists. The problem is that the radical muslim terrorists have an entire community of radical muslim non-terrorsits to blend in with. For a larger part of these communities the only thing differentiating them is the will to act with violence. The beliefs and rhetoric are are identical.

What the Islamic community could do against terrorists is this: Accept that there are many nations that believe secularism to be a nonnegotiable principle. Any person from any faith who wishes to reside in one of those nations must embrace that principle. There are many Muslims who do exactly that, and they are welcome. The ones who can't or won't, should leave. If they do that, then radical terrorists won't be so easily able to hide.

ReputationRep:
    they were hiding out in a muslim area, that doesn't mean they were parading ruond the streets wearing a tshirt saying 'I'm a terrorist', they were probably stuck in a house and no one had any opportunity to turn them in (except for the terrorists hiding them)

it isn't muslim's responsibility to stop terrorists, what on earth do you propose they do?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly let me remind you that Islam, is a religion of mercy & does not permit terrorism!!

If we happened to see any terrorism activities happening in our area or anywhere else, it's not only our duty to report them but so should everyone else!

But that would NEVER happen to any of my family members or friends cos we definitely know that killing or murdering ANYONE regardless of their religion is HARAM [forbidden]!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    The fact that the Paris murder suspect was hiding out in the mainly Muslim district of Brussels makes a lot of people think Muslims are either actively hiding terrorists or turning a blind eye to them.

Could Muslims do more to combat terrorists given the fact all the ISS terrorists are Muslims whatever apologists might say?

If you are a Muslim and you suspect a friend or family member might be a terrorist, would you tell the authorities or you would turn a blind eye and claim they are not "real" Muslims and therefore none of your business if they blow up non Muslims?
    Hi, I can understand how frustrated you are. I'm a Muslim myself, and it angers me a lot. Can I just clarify though - ISS terrorists are not Muslim, they may claim to be - but they certainly do not reflect the true beliefs and ethics of Islam. We do not accept them.

If I did suspect a friend/family member, number one, I'd advise them. Tell other family members/well known community leaders - have a chat with them, explain to them why they're wrong etc.

But, sadly, most people are radicalised and brainwashed online - or in secret gatherings with their so-called 'leader' and it tends to be very difficult to weed them out! Like I'll give you an example, recently, in our town a whole family of what seemed to be normal muslims left on holiday to their homeland and when they were missing for a long period of time - investigations were opened and it was discovered they ran to ISS!! It took the whole of the community with a massive shock because it was absolutely unsuspected. Over 8 family members, including babies and a terminally ill elder person!

Yes, the Muslim community is recognising this, and we are doing a LOT to stop individuals getting radicalised and becoming terrorists. We are doing our very best, but there is only so little we can do.

ReputationRep:
    Could they?............ Yes

Should they?............Yes

Would they?...............Nope

ReputationRep:
    Syrian Army

Iraqi Army

Iranian Army

Kurds

Syrian Rebels

All of the above are predominantly Muslim organisations. They're also the ones who are doing 99% of the fighting and dying against IS. I think we should act a lot more harshly towards people who do support them but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Syrian Army

Iraqi Army

Iranian Army

Kurds

Syrian Rebels

All of the above are predominantly Muslim organisations. They're also the ones who are doing 99% of the fighting and dying against IS. I think we should act a lot more harshly towards people who do support them but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

The syrian rebels, Or rather the Free syrian army are fighting WITH ISIS against Al-Assad.

The rest is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinan)
    The syrian rebels, Or rather the Free syrian army are fighting WITH ISIS against Al-Assad.

The rest is correct.
    Some are and some aren't. Sorry I know it was a very broad term.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question, I was wondering this as well, because it is fundamental in the fight against Daesh. If muslim communities (especially ghettos) are actively cooperating with terrorists we can inflitrate the network easier and promote a system of ratting-out. If they aren't, there's bugger all we can do to stop terror attacks.

Anyway, I'd like to see some government investigation into this. From what I've currently read, the existence of muslim ghettos with illegitimate local government is very real and is acknowledged by police in all countries - a quick google search can convince you of this. As well as this, famous ones like Jihadi John, the Hebdo and Paris bombers all came from muslim communities and had strong links with mosques, so there is clearly a well-integrated network of jihadists within European muslims.

On the other hand, reading this highlighted that people who join ISIS do it out of nationalism and ethnic pride more than purely religious reasons, so perhaps we need to rethink our strategy and focus on general muslim zeitgeist and not just religious aspects of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Some are and some aren't. Sorry I know it was a very broad term.

Yes you're right. Some aren't.

I thought you were referring to Al Nusra or the FSA.

ReputationRep:
    Would I (as a muslim) turn a blind eye to someone who could potentially be the killer of many innocent people? Hell no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haj101)
    Would I (as a muslim) turn a blind eye to someone who could potentially be the killer of many innocent people? Hell no.

Well that's you.

There are thousands maybe even millions of muslims in the UK in cities like Bradford, London, Birmingham and Leeds that are well aware of some of their muslim friends getting radicalised, but turn a blind eye because "it has nothing to do with me or my religion"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinan)
    She's probably one of those westernised muslims that probably can't read arabic and get all their info from Zakir Naik and their corrupt imams.
    Pretty much yeh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.