Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got prescribed antidepressants (citalopram) for my anxiety (mainly social anxiety but also general worrying about everything including my exams) and haven't started them yet because I am worried about the side effects. I am currently studying to re sit a few a2 exams and was wondering if anyone else is on medication like this while studying and if it helps you more or the side effects are preventing you study as well. I also heard the can permanently affect your sex life. Please share any experiences. Also does the effect of the drugs permanently alter your brain structure/wiring

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've been on citalopram for aprx 2 years now. PM me if there's anything you'd like to know.

ReputationRep:
    Hi velvetwater,

I've been on Citalopram for around six months, although I started taking them around the time I began my gap year, so I haven't been studying while taking them. May I ask what dosage you have been prescribed?

It's possible that you will get some side effects from them, however, you also might not. I personally haven't had any unpleasant side effects, apart from some difficulty sleeping when I first started taking them, which stopped after a while, and very strange, vivid dreams, although these don't bother me too much. Also remember that if you do experience side effects which are making it difficult for you to study, which don't seem to be lessening or stopping after a month or so, then you can stop taking them by steadily decreasing your dose (at the advice of your doctor of course).

I'm not sure about the effects of Citalopram in terms of sex and alteration of your brain structure, but it's probably best to ask your doctor about any concerns like that anyway, to give you peace of mind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.