Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels?? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    For those of you doing science or maths A-level, how do you structure your "lessons" if you will. So when you sit down to study how do you go about it? Do you read the textbooks and then make notes followed by questions, or do you do question straight away etc?

I apologise for all the questions, i'm just a little lost on how to begin
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    For those of you doing science or maths A-level, how do you structure your "lessons" if you will.
    With self study I read through a module, then do a bunch of practice questions and see how I do. I'll go through and review what was easy and hard and then prioritise how much time and effort I give to each 'bit' of a module, and how much I need to read around it. Go study again and then more questions. Rinse and repeat until things seem vaguely stuck, then add things to my daily 'revision bank' on AnkiDeck.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    With self study I read through a module, then do a bunch of practice questions and see how I do. I'll go through and review what was easy and hard and then prioritise how much time and effort I give to each 'bit' of a module, and how much I need to read around it. Go study again and then more questions. Rinse and repeat until things seem vaguely stuck, then add things to my daily 'revision bank' on AnkiDeck.
    That sounds really good! Thanks for you're help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    That sounds really good! Thanks for you're help
    Welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I will be starting this September and I am 18.

I'm also 18 and am currently awaiting interviews to study a-levels in september. Are you courses government funded or are you paying for them? I'm still trying to work this out, any help would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Being in Northern Ireland our access courses aren't awarded by the same bodies as England or Scotland, so it's a bit tense waiting for offers back from Universities over there.

Aside from that I've been thoroughly enjoying my course, it's called Access Engineering and covers most maths and physics content up to A-Level.
    In an unsurprising move I applied to five engineering choices and am currently aiming for the entry requirements for Queens, asking for 80% in every module, which I am currently on track for - just about. I messed up one of the three tests and just scraped by on 80.6% overall, still fairly happy with myself. Just waiting on my Physics exam results back at the moment, optimistic those will be better due to my past experience in the subject.
    Only three more modules left to complete now, time goes far too quickly :shock:

ReputationRep:
    I want to do cognitive neuroscience at uni as well.

I am torn between Access to HE in Science / Biomedical Science and A levels.

I guess I would go for A levels because I am super scared of essay writing.

Hugs x

I've been thinking about going back into education to train as a neuroscientist for a little while. Think I'm actually going to go for it and start A-Levels, though not until 2017; I'll be 26 when I start! Going to keep working until then to try and save up as much as possible so I can study full-time at college, and keep just a little bar work/saturday job on the side.

Super nervous about the whole idea and also super excited, I really want the next year to hurry up!
    I've been thinking about going back into education to train as a neuroscientist for a little while. Think I'm actually going to go for it and start A-Levels, though not until 2017; I'll be 26 when I start! Going to keep working until then to try and save up as much as possible so I can study full-time at college, and keep just a little bar work/saturday job on the side.

Super nervous about the whole idea and also super excited, I really want the next year to hurry up!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! Thought I would give you an update. I'm doing a Chemistry A-Level in one year to supplement an Access to HE Diploma that I fell a bit short in. Applying for Medicine. Had an offer last yr, lost it though :-(

So this year, I've received an interview from Liverpool for Med and an offer from UCL for Medical Science. 3 other choices are quiet, no news is good news I'm hoping!

I love the A Level, I really feel I'm understanding the content and the exam technique necessary for high marks. Glad I'm doing it in one year, think I'd be bored splitting it across the two, unless I was doing other subjects but that wasn't necessary. The AS content seems easy because I'm learning it only to supplement the A2 stuff. I've done both the specimen (mock) papers released this year, I get the mark back in a couple of weeks. I managed to put an answer down for every question so given myself the best chance. I'll let you know how I do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pearlypearl)
    I want to do cognitive neuroscience at uni as well.

I am torn between Access to HE in Science / Biomedical Science and A levels.

I guess I would go for A levels because I am super scared of essay writing.

Hugs x
    Awesome!

That's part of the reason I've been put off the access course too - you'll still have to do essays at A-level for h/w, and probably at uni too, but apparently the essays you submit during Access count for a lot more and are one-shot. So, the tutor might not review your drafts and you could end up submitting a say a C grade essay and then on top of that you can't resubmit for a higher grade.

This is just what I've read on these forums though, so it may vary between colleges depending on your tutors... Or it could just be students whinging and not be very accurate at all! Would definitely be nice to only have 1 year of level 3 study, but ho hum...

I like the security of A-levels too - more flexibility in choosing unis etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleuves)
    Hey all! Thought I would give you an update. I'm doing a Chemistry A-Level in one year to supplement an Access to HE Diploma that I fell a bit short in. Applying for Medicine. Had an offer last yr, lost it though :-(

So this year, I've received an interview from Liverpool for Med and an offer from UCL for Medical Science. 3 other choices are quiet, no news is good news I'm hoping!

I love the A Level, I really feel I'm understanding the content and the exam technique necessary for high marks. Glad I'm doing it in one year, think I'd be bored splitting it across the two, unless I was doing other subjects but that wasn't necessary. The AS content seems easy because I'm learning it only to supplement the A2 stuff. I've done both the specimen (mock) papers released this year, I get the mark back in a couple of weeks. I managed to put an answer down for every question so given myself the best chance. I'll let you know how I do.
    Amazing stuff! You're doing us other 24 year old's proud!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to start AS biology and chemistry this September. I originally thought that I would self-teach AS and join A2 this September but I don't think I'm smart enough.
    Yes A levels would definitely prepare students better for university in terms of science subjects.

What about you? Are you doing A levels?

Awesome!

That's part of the reason I've been put off the access course too - you'll still have to do essays at A-level for h/w, and probably at uni too, but apparently the essays you submit during Access count for a lot more and are one-shot. So, the tutor might not review your drafts and you could end up submitting a say a C grade essay and then on top of that you can't resubmit for a higher grade.

This is just what I've read on these forums though, so it may vary between colleges depending on your tutors... Or it could just be students whinging and not be very accurate at all! Would definitely be nice to only have 1 year of level 3 study, but ho hum...

I like the security of A-levels too - more flexibility in choosing unis etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pearlypearl)
    I'm planning to start AS biology and chemistry this September. I originally thought that I would self-teach AS and join A2 this September but I don't think I'm smart enough.
    Yes A levels would definitely prepare students better for university in terms of science subjects.

What about you? Are you doing A levels?
    Yep! Well, I will be soon. I'm starting college full time this September. Going to be studying bio, chem, maths and psychology ^^

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Well, I will be soon. I'm starting college full time this September. Going to be studying bio, chem, maths and psychology ^^
    Really recommend college teaching for science Alevels, whilst it is possible to self teach, it's so much harder, harder than it needs to be, and it's already hard enough. Especially for chemistry, you just have to keep practicing what you do in class for Chem as it's very very learny, but biology really lends itself to having someone explain some of the concepts to you piece by piece. Good luck, I started alevels as a mature student just over 3 years ago now, last year I managed AAA in bio, Chem and geology and a C in as physics. I also added two GCSE s at A* A* in maths and science as I didn't have these before starting the alevels. The science GCSEs was no help in regards to alevel content, but it did help me get an interview for vetmed.
    Even at 26 my GCSEs still counted!

Good luck to both of you, I honestly really enjoyed them! Any questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowie315)
    Really recommend college teaching for science Alevels, whilst it is possible to self teach, it's so much harder, harder than it needs to be, and it's already hard enough. Especially for chemistry, you just have to keep practicing what you do in class for Chem as it's very very learny, but biology really lends itself to having someone explain some of the concepts to you piece by piece. Good luck, I started alevels as a mature student just over 3 years ago now, last year I managed AAA in bio, Chem and geology and a C in as physics. I also added two GCSE s at A* A* in maths and science as I didn't have these before starting the alevels. The science GCSEs was no help in regards to alevel content, but it did help me get an interview for vetmed.
    Even at 26 my GCSEs still counted!

Good luck to both of you, I honestly really enjoyed them! Any questions feel free to ask.
    You're still so inspirational to me!!! Yeah I couldn't agree more that sometime's its best to have a teacher explain things to you for A-level Bio, I definitely struggle with the self-teaching tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    You're still so inspirational to me!!! Yeah I couldn't agree more that sometime's its best to have a teacher explain things to you for A-level Bio, I definitely struggle with the self-teaching tbh
    Thank you, that's such a nice thing to say. It was definitely an uphill struggle even with the teaching for me. I can imagine how hard it must be fore you, I've bought one of my vet books and even for topics I already have alevel understanding for, trying to sit and make my brain go through it on my own is tough!
    huge amount of respect for you managing to keep going with it!

ReputationRep:
    Got two offers so far, 70% from Ulster for Mechatronic Engineering and 75% from Heriot-Watt for Engineering, so that's my insurance (or maybe even first choice, I'd like to move to Scotland) options sorted

Just waiting on the tougher ones now. Queens, which should be 80% in each module and I'm currently on track for, and Nottingham and Liverpool. Not too worried about the last two, I just put them down because the courses interested me, but I'll try and make it to applicants days to see what I think of them.

ReputationRep:
    Nice! I'm rooting for you here! =]

Let's work hard for our neuroscience dream

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so inspirational reading through everyone's stories!

ReputationRep:
    So today, the anxiety of me sitting A-level exams in the summer has finally hit me! I'm actually feeling like I'm absolutely ludicrous for ever wanting to study Maths and Biology as a mature student!

Any other mature students out there?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worryyyy you'll be okay! You must be finished with the syllabi now? Just practice practice practice 🙂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.