Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    For Maths it's ok if you don't choose your exam board yet as the syllabuses between each board isn't much different tbh, but for A-level Biology the content can vary a lot depending on what board!

There lots of material online for Edexcel's A-level Maths syllabus which is great for us self-studiers! I'm also with Edexcel for Biology but it is terrible! Every year, there are complaints about A-level Biology exams being far too difficult under the Edexcel spec! I definitely feel like I'm at a disadvantage for Biology compared to if I was on a different exam board!
    I don't think Biology is any better with other exam boards. It's just slightly different content for different exam boards. It's not like every single student that did Edexcel Biology completely failed it. Otherwise there would be a higher awareness of it. tripplea is doing Biology with OCR and I was told that it isn't exactly a smooth ride either. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

(Original post by mvictor)
    Oh that's a shame. Can you not swap exam boards? I'll steer clear of Edexcel for Biology then. Perhaps AQA would be a better choice?
    Just because another person finds it hard doesn't mean it applies to you as well. But since you're self-teaching, just go with the one that seems to have the most online resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1914)
    I don't think Biology is any better with other exam boards. It's just slightly different content for different exam boards. It's not like every single student that did Edexcel Biology completely failed it. Otherwise there would be a higher awareness of it. tripplea is doing Biology with OCR and I was told that it isn't exactly a smooth ride either. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Just because another person finds it hard doesn't mean it applies to you as well. But since you're self-teaching, just go with the one that seems to have the most online resources.
    Yeah it's true that the content doesn't vary a lot between exam boards but Edexcel's mark schemes with papers are always very strict with the kind of key words they expect you to use. I also know of tutors who have decided not to teach the Edexcel spec anymore and have gone for AQA because of this. I've also come across someone who had switched from Edexcel to OCR and actually achieved a better grade. This was before the new linear A-levels though.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't decided yet. The local examination centre is Hills Road Sixth Form College and they appear to accept a wide variety of boards for the exam. Do you have any particular preference? http://www.hillsroad.ac.uk/the-colle...ns-office#STEP
    There is SO MUCH content in OCR Biology literally everybody I know is struggling. I can't speak for other exam boards but I can't help thinking that AQA seem to be more user friendly board and ever so slightly easier to get high grades in? I say that because at GCSEs I got all A* grades with AQA and I'm doing AQA Psychology which I find rather straightforward compared to Maths and Biology. This is just my thinking but I'm probably completely wrong because I haven't looked at AQA Biology so it could be just as hard or even harder than OCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripplea)
    There is SO MUCH content in OCR Biology literally everybody I know is struggling. I can't speak for other exam boards but I can't help thinking that AQA seem to be more user friendly board and ever so slightly easier to get high grades in? I say that because at GCSEs I got all A* grades with AQA and I'm doing AQA Psychology which I find rather straightforward compared to Maths and Biology. This is just my thinking but I'm probably completely wrong because I haven't looked at AQA Biology so it could be just as hard or even harder than OCR.
    I have a feeling that AQA might be the preferred exam board for Biology too since many tutors and schools have made that switch!

I find that with Edexcel past papers there is more data analysis questions and questions that test your improvisation as a Biologist than the AQA past papers that I've quickly skimmed through! Although I've only looked at 2 papers from that exam board

What other subjects are you studying btw?

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that AQA might be the preferred exam board for Biology too since many tutors and schools have made that switch!

I find that with Edexcel past papers there is more data analysis questions and questions that test your improvisation as a Biologist than the AQA past papers that I've quickly skimmed through! Although I've only looked at 2 papers from that exam board

What other subjects are you studying btw?
    That's rather interesting.

Maths (Edexcel) and Psychology (AQA).

ReputationRep:
    That's rather interesting.

Maths (Edexcel) and Psychology (AQA).
    Oh yeah I remember now, you're doing AS at the moment at college, right?

ReputationRep:
    Another day of hard work for us mature students!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why they don't just have one exam board. I'm having decision paralysis here! Right now I'm leaning toward AQA and Edexcel purely because they both have a decent website and resources. There's also Cambridge International but I'm not sure if they are open to private candidates? :eek3:

Edit: Yep, CIE does accept private candidates, provided you can find a local centre to accept you. I see that my local (Hills Road) does accept it. But the question is, does it confer any advantage?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why they don't just have one exam board. I'm having decision paralysis here! Right now I'm leaning toward AQA and Edexcel purely because they both have a decent website and resources. There's also Cambridge International but I'm not sure if they are open to private candidates? :eek3:

Edit: Yep, CIE does accept private candidates, provided you can find a local centre to accept you. I see that my local (Hills Road) does accept it. But the question is, does it confer any advantage?
    Unfortunately I know very little about the Cambridge International qualifications

Just go with your gut instinct and try to stick it out to the end

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I remember now, you're doing AS at the moment at college, right?
    Yes I am and I have mocks next week

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am and I have mocks next week
    Don't panic, just do what you can! I'm sure you'll be ok if you do some revision this weekend 😊

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic, just do what you can! I'm sure you'll be ok if you do some revision this weekend 😊
    Thanks. I've dedicated the whole weekend to revising so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've dedicated the whole weekend to revising so fingers crossed.
    How's the studying/revision going so far?

ReputationRep:
    So today the anxiety is kicking in again and I'm randomly having periods of self-doubt on whether I can achieve decent grades when I sit my A-level exams in the summer. Anyone have any success stories of studying as a mature student/private candidate?

ReputationRep:
    How are the A levels or Access courses going everyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly classed as a mature student Im 20, currently doing A level Biology in one year then going on to study Wildlife Conservation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah.Hunter96)
    I'm nearly classed as a mature student Im 20, currently doing A level Biology in one year then going on to study Wildlife Conservation
    Oh wow. You wouldn't happen to be doing the new Edexcel Biology (Salters Nuffield) A level would you???

Are you studying at a college?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. You wouldn't happen to be doing the new Edexcel Biology (Salters Nuffield) A level would you???

Are you studying at a college?
    No I'm doing OCR biology, and yes I've gone to a local college to do the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah.Hunter96)
    No I'm doing OCR biology, and yes I've gone to a local college to do the course
    Amazing! Have you covered all the content yet? How are you finding it?

Also does OCR provide you with a pre-released article to be used in conjunction with one of your papers like the Edexcel board does?

ReputationRep:
    Amazing! Have you covered all the content yet? How are you finding it?

Also does OCR provide you with a pre-released article to be used in conjunction with one of your papers like the Edexcel board does?
    Not yet but we're nearing the end of it It's pretty tough going in regards to the sheer amount you have to cover. As for the pre released article I'm not sure about that. I wasn't even aware that was thing XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.