Turn on thread page Beta

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    So you're going to spread your A-levels out longer than 2 years?
    Most likely. I'm in no rush so the longer I can spend on them, especially since I've been out of the maths game for 4 or 5 years, the better I'll do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    Most likely. I'm in no rush so the longer I can spend on them, especially since I've been out of the maths game for 4 or 5 years, the better I'll do
    That's fair enough really. I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying A Level history. Started at the beginning of this year so overall I'll have a few months less than normal. The workload doesn't seem horrendous so far and it's very interesting but I'm doing a distance course and getting frustrated that the turnaround for marking essays is so far a month and waiting which is not ideal since I'll be submitting them every 2-3 weeks. If I were to do it again I think I'd feel inclined to buy the text books and just hire a local tutor but I can't change that now.

I'm 38. I already have a degree but my university experience was pretty negative. I wasn't at somewhere that was particularly good and I was young and naive and I've had an urge to return to uni to push myself because I've spent the last decade or so learning anything that interests me which turns out to be quite a lot. I plan to do access after the A level by which time my kids (who I home educate) will hopefully be old enough that it's practical for me to return to uni part time. The A level was more just to get myself back into learning and because I did very little history at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenasta)
    I'm studying A Level history. Started at the beginning of this year so overall I'll have a few months less than normal. The workload doesn't seem horrendous so far and it's very interesting but I'm doing a distance course and getting frustrated that the turnaround for marking essays is so far a month and waiting which is not ideal since I'll be submitting them every 2-3 weeks. If I were to do it again I think I'd feel inclined to buy the text books and just hire a local tutor but I can't change that now.

I'm 38. I already have a degree but my university experience was pretty negative. I wasn't at somewhere that was particularly good and I was young and naive and I've had an urge to return to uni to push myself because I've spent the last decade or so learning anything that interests me which turns out to be quite a lot. I plan to do access after the A level by which time my kids (who I home educate) will hopefully be old enough that it's practical for me to return to uni part time. The A level was more just to get myself back into learning and because I did very little history at school.
    Amazing! Stick at it, you still have loads of time to to learn/remember the content for the exams this summer! Bit annoying about getting your essays marked though! :/

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I can't believe Easter is here already! Not long until A-level exams this summer!

ReputationRep:
    mvictor Have you decided what exam board you are going to pursue your studies with?

ReputationRep:
    Hi 😊

I am 27 and I already have the access in health (30 distinctions and 15 merits) and a nursing degree (first class). I am currently working full-time with 2 children, mortgage etc... and I'm trying to save up for a second degree in fashion design. However, I'm worried as I have no qualification in an art and design subject and it would be very difficult to study a full-time college course and work full-time to save for tuition fees plus pay bills etc... I can't find any distance learning courses in art and design and there's no part-time courses available within a 50 mile radius of my home address.

Any advice? 😊

ReputationRep:
    The syllabus for A Levels changes regularly, so this approach is unlikely to be practical.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Laurajane89)
    Hi 😊

I am 27 and I already have the access in health (30 distinctions and 15 merits) and a nursing degree (first class). I am currently working full-time with 2 children, mortgage etc... and I'm trying to save up for a second degree in fashion design. However, I'm worried as I have no qualification in an art and design subject and it would be very difficult to study a full-time college course and work full-time to save for tuition fees plus pay bills etc... I can't find any distance learning courses in art and design and there's no part-time courses available within a 50 mile radius of my home address.

Any advice? 😊
    A second degree in Fashion Design at a physical university is going to be very expensive. I believe the Open College of Arts (similar to the Open University but for art and design subjects) offers relatively cheap distance learning courses (Foundation courses and degrees), but not in Fashion... they do Textiles, maybe that's close enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    A second degree in Fashion Design at a physical university is going to be very expensive. I believe the Open College of Arts (similar to the Open University but for art and design subjects) offers relatively cheap distance learning courses (Foundation courses and degrees), but not in Fashion... they do Textiles, maybe that's close enough?
    Yes, I realise that university is expensive and I am currently saving for the first two years of the BA and then either save for the final year while at uni or get a bank loan for half of the last year. But in the mean time I need to still work full-time and therefore I need part-time or distance. 😊

I wasn't sure if the open college of the arts was a real site as I've never heard of it before? I was thinking of doing an Alevel part-time in art and design but it's difficult to find one in art for mature students and I'm not sure how much 1 a level will cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    The syllabus for A Levels changes regularly, so this approach is unlikely to be practical.
    It's not to learn the syllabus' but to learn as much as I can so I'd be prepared for whatever the syllabus of the year I take the exam

ReputationRep:
    It's not to learn the syllabus' but to learn as much as I can so I'd be prepared for whatever the syllabus of the year I take the exam
    Studying a subject for several years on the offchance that what you study will eventualy appear in exams, would be a huge waste of time and effort. You need to be more focussed when you study above school level.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, 33yrs old and just received offer to study Physiotherapy at Plymouth University 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbojames08)
    Hey all, 33yrs old and just received offer to study Physiotherapy at Plymouth University 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations! 🤗

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fantastic! What A-levels did you do?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I did Biology, Chemistry & Physics but I also did a BSc Biology degree so think that helped.
    I'm so excited about starting 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I did Biology, Chemistry & Physics but I also did a BSc Biology degree so think that helped.
    I'm so excited about starting 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So good! When did you do your A-levels? And what grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    I did them in 2002 and only got Biology C, Chemistry E & Physics D.
    Having my Degree and it being in Biology really saved my bacon as my a levelsare no where near good enough on their own. I'm also did my Level 3 Diploma & Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy plus I'm working full time in a Physio clinic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did them in 2002 and only got Biology C, Chemistry E & Physics D.
    Having my Degree and it being in Biology really saved my bacon as my a levelsare no where near good enough on their own. I'm also did my Level 3 Diploma & Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy plus I'm working full time in a Physio clinic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How are you funding your second degree? 😊

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.