Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

I was wondering how much do you all work in order to support yourself at uni and how does the job work when it holidays etc. im not going to uni till 2017 but I want to be researching now so I have a clear plan and what the average wage in a supermarket for an 18 year old thank all in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by soph1el0u1se)
    hi

I was wondering how much do you all work in order to support yourself at uni and how does the job work when it holidays etc. im not going to uni till 2017 but I want to be researching now so I have a clear plan and what the average wage in a supermarket for an 18 year old thank all in advance
    Supermarkets will normally pay minimum wage, i didnt work at all through uni as i had the maximum student finance and didnt go out and was generally sensible. How much you'll need to work will depend on your loan really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph1el0u1se)
    hi

Hi Soph,
    I work 3 jobs whilst studying full time even though I get the second highest loan amount. 1 of them is voluntary at university and the other I get paid. Research the uni's you want to go to and what jobs they have going. I go to Newman and did a headstart programme and was able to apply to jobs as soon as the posters were posted around the uni. We can work in our canteen, reception, library, student ambassadors are in most uni's I've looked at and Newman pay above minimum wage.
    Don't just limit yourself before hand to just a supermarket. Where are you thinking of going for uni?
    A lot of my money is being saved towards going abroad since I live at home and don't go out much.

ReputationRep:
    I do a couple of supermarket shifts a week in a uni town. Can't speak for all of them, but mine is used to dealing with students. We have students who come here to uni, working during term time. They tend to be replaced by other students during the holidays, who are coming home to the town from other unis. As long as you're up front when you're recruited, they know what hours/months you're likely to be able to work, and they'll give you the shifts which fit your availability.

The jobs tend to pay minimum wage, although some are now aiming for the living wage.

ReputationRep:
    I work about 15/20 hours a week for my uni earning about 7.50/8.69 (I have two jobs with different pay rates) an hour. I'm on the minimum loan and i manage but i am in a very cheap area

ReputationRep:
    I'm in second year and work 8-10 hours a week at my student union, which gives me around £75-80 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Aldi is £8.40.

Imo learn to type and hen if you can get some legal experience. You will have as much work as you need if you cna et your foot in the door.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.