Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I noticed a lot of arts and humanities degrees have low contact hours so I was wondering if you can do two humanities degrees at the same time. They could even be in different colleges if they were fairly close together like a lot of colleges in London and Birmingham. For example, LSE is fairly close to UCL.

I am sure most people would be impressed if you say you did English and history at the same time

ReputationRep:
    Will probably give you good experience when you work in Starbucks

''make mine a double''
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    The contact hours are low but you're expected to do a lot outside them. Plus exam time would be absolute hell. When I was doing half a history degree there was so much content to learn for just two modules, so you'd have to be something else to be able to juggle two degrees. There would also be clashes so you'd end up missing important seminars etc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why not just do one well like everyone else? You do realise its more than contact hours?
    You also have the issue of paying for two degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Terrible idea, even if both universities allowed it (they often have rules against being registered for two degrees at two different universities). The workload, especially around exams and dissertation time would almost certainly be unmanageable. There is no point to doing two degrees simultaneously, funding wouldn't cover them both, and no-one is really going to care.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There may be low contact hours but it'd require too many independent study hours.

ReputationRep:
    You can do joint honours degrees where you get to study two subjects, while they may not be 2 entirely different degrees you are still studying 2 subjects which could be a challenge. The little amount of contact hours is because doing a humanities subject there's a lot of readings which have to be done out of the contact hours which will take up your time. While STEM subjects may have more contact hours because this isn't really a huge part of a STEM course. Studying one degree is hard enough so if you really want to study two different subjects try looking at a joint honours course.

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of doing some thing similar but way less exteme than doing 2 degrees. I will be completing a lecel biology alongside my emglish lang degree. I thought doing an a level and degree would be difficult but you wamt to do two degrees! Good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I imagine it's possible if you can afford it. Especially at the lower tier universities which require less reading.

Better places then probably not.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it would be impossible during exams?
    What if there are clashes?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    In theory, it would be very possible. In practice, it would be logistically difficult as there would be a lot of clashes. If somebody is very disciplined I think they could do one normal degree and one distance degree concurrently but you would be rolling the dice on exam clashes even then.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    In theory, it would be very possible. In practice, it would be logistically difficult as there would be a lot of clashes. If somebody is very disciplined I think they could do one normal degree and one distance degree concurrently but you would be rolling the dice on exam clashes even then.
    Depends what you mean by very. Distance and normal would be more realistic, but id have to think I was easily able to get a first before believing I could do a second.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Depends what you mean by very. Distance and normal would be more realistic, but id have to think I was easily able to get a first before believing I could do a second.
    The OP didn't apply any particular conditions regarding attainment to be fair so I assumed they would be content scraping 2:1s. Thus, assuming also that the subjects were cognate and that the OP had the necessary discipline I don't think it would be an issue.

I'm lazy, but I would still bet on myself being able to scrape 2:1s in, say, politics and history at the same time - assuming I had some motivation to do so.

I would tend to agree with your position, though, and suggest that one be fairly certain of maximum attainment in one degree before starting another!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The OP didn't apply any particular conditions regarding attainment to be fair so I assumed they would be content scraping 2:1s. Thus, assuming also that the subjects were cognate and that the OP had the necessary discipline I don't think it would be an issue.

I'm lazy, but I would still bet on myself being able to scrape 2:1s in, say, politics and history at the same time - assuming I had some motivation to do so.

I would tend to agree with your position, though, and suggest that one be fairly certain of maximum attainment in one degree before starting another!
    TBF the OP has said very little, which is why im a bit bewildered. I cant see the advantage and I think its soemthing they dont understand or have thought through. They could also get 2 3rds or fail. Theoretically feasible, but a lot of juggling.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    TBF the OP has said very little, which is why im a bit bewildered. I cant see the advantage and I think its soemthing they dont understand or have thought through. They could also get 2 3rds or fail. Theoretically feasible, but a lot of juggling.
    I agree with you. I don't think it is necessary or advisable. I do, however, think it is entirely possible academically.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I agree with you. I don't think it is necessary or advisable. I do, however, think it is entirely possible academically.

Well you could do 3, 4 5 it depends how bright you are and how the stars align.
    You would also be giving up your social life and the other importnat things about uni. how dull.

ReputationRep:
    Well you could do 3, 4 5 it depends how bright you are and how the stars align.
    You would also be giving up your social life and the other importnat things about uni. how dull.
    Also, I think employers would be slightly confused if you have 2 degrees attained in the same year on your CV/resume. Of course, they could call in and confirm it, but it sounds like extra hassle.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Also, I think employers would be slightly confused if you have 2 degrees attained in the same year on your CV/resume. Of course, they could call in and confirm it, but it sounds like extra hassle.
    I think I would probably reference it when talking briefly about soft skills in my cover letter, but you are right it would look strange.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Also if its that easy, then wouldnt you be better off working to get money, enjoying uni and a social life or doing work experience/ ecs to enhance your CV?

I am sure most people would be impressed if you say you did English and history at the same time
    My first reaction would be why?

ReputationRep:
    Also if its that easy, then wouldnt you be better off working to get money, enjoying uni and a social life or doing work experience/ ecs to enhance your CV?
    Exactly!

I see so many people talking about how their degree and academic certificates are going to guarantee them some high-flying position at wherever. When in reality, degrees are becoming so much more common place today. Rather, they're a basic prerequisite nowadays - a stepping stone.

The best way to improve your employability and make yourself a more attractive candidate would be:

1) Work experience.
    2) Personal brand. (social media, networking, LinkedIn, public perception)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.