Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was considering this as one of my top two with Surrey, from what i've heard the course is good, can you elaborate a bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emsr1)
    Yeah, at the moment no one knows what is happening as we haven't been told anything.

Problems I've had whilst I've been there:
    Broken lab equipment - lecturer was told many times that it was broken and still hasn't been fixed.
    Coursework handed back late - lecturers are supposed to mark coursework within three weeks, I've had up to six months.
    Double room bookings for labs.
    Some lecturers are poor quality and seem to mark randomly.
    One lecturer had missed 6 weeks of lecturing, only providing cover for 2 weeks.
    So I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend it? Would you say most of the EEE students feel the same way? http://university.which.co.uk/loughb...ears-9000-h604
    On most courses for engineering I've looked at response is slow with feedback, everything else seems good though.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by curtis-)
    Was considering this as one of my top two with Surrey, from what i've heard the course is good, can you elaborate a bit?

Hi Curtis-

Great to hear you are considering studying at Loughborough

We are regarded as one of the UK's leading institutions for Engineering and our Engineering graduates are much sought after by employers. As the UK's leading institution for Engineering placements, there are lots of opportunities to get hands-on industry experience which can help open up doors after graduation. Have you looked at our Engineering website? It should have lots of useful information that might help you to make your decision.

Outside of your course, Loughborough has recently come first in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey which is great to know as a new student. The atmosphere across campus is always vibrant and has a great community feel - take a look at our video here.

I hope this helps - if you have any specific questions about your course you can chat directly with someone from the Department by contacting them at [email protected] or by calling them on 01509 227029. They will be able to advise on the ins and outs of your course in more detail than I can Good luck with your decision-making!

Amy
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by emsr1)
    The electrical department has just merged with the mechanical engineering school - I suspect this will make the already poorly organised course even worse next year when the changes come into affect. I thought itself the course has been extremely poor overall.
    Hi emsr1

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the course. Are you a current student?

If you email your details to [email protected] I can raise your concerns directly with the department and ask somebody to get in touch with you.

Amy

ReputationRep:
    Hi emsr1 & Curtis

My name is Ali Obaid, I am the current Electronic, Electrical & Systems Engineering Programme President of the school. I work closely with the department, student representatives and the Student Union to ensure every single students' voice is heard and attended to.

Curtis, I can confidently say that both are excellent choices. The course here at Loughborough was the reason I placed it as my firm choice. The variety of modules offered as you progress through the course aim to cater to each students preferred path as well as the industry's demand. The course offers a good balance between a theoretical and practical approach giving the students the opportunity to put what has been taught into practice, similarly to that in industry.

Please allow me to say that the earlier comments are providing an unfair impression of the School and as a 4th year student here I do not personally agree with the above mentioned comments. I am a proud, soon to be graduate and the academic and social experience I have been exposed to are unmatched.

(Original post by emsr1)
    Yeah, at the moment no one knows what is happening as we haven't been told anything.Problems I've had whilst I've been there:Broken lab equipment - lecturer was told many times that it was broken and still hasn't been fixed.Coursework handed back late - lecturers are supposed to mark coursework within three weeks, I've had up to six months.Double room bookings for labs.Some lecturers are poor quality and seem to mark randomly.One lecturer had missed 6 weeks of lecturing, only providing cover for 2 weeks.
    The school holds SSLC (Staff Student Liaison Committee Meetings) in which students raise any concerns they may have and provide feedback to the department on the modules and general feedback on the students' experience.
    I can assure you the only issue raised in relevance to the above comments was timely return of coursework which is, as you know, a key issue across many universities and the department is currently looking at ways to eliminate this by the start of the new academic year.

Lecturers being "poor quality". The lecturers are leading individuals, the best in their field and their performance is evaluated by students closer to the modules completion date. If a clear indication of underperformance is seen the department deals with it directly and take the necessary actions to find a solution. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and approachable. Most importantly, they are supportive.

Lecturers "seem to mark randomly". Every piece of assessed work has a marking scheme and goes through the general route of external examiners for further moderation to ensure consistency and fairness throughout the marking process. There is no random marking.

I would like to reassure you that student satisfaction is a high priority across the University and we take pride in it. With our robust system in place that myself, staff, and team of 20 EEE student representatives put together to ensure the department runs smoothly to provide the best overall student experience.

I sincerly hope that this will give you a clear image of what this course is actually like and I would strongly encourage you to get in touch and find out about other students' experiences as I am confident they will share similar views.

All the best,

Ali

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reassurance! I have ended up firming Loughborough anyway. If I'm honest, I really can't wait to start.

ReputationRep:
    That's great news, believe me I know the feeling.
    I wish you al the best and good luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliobaid7)
    Hi emsr1 & Curtis

All the best,

Ali
    I've removed my previous messages as on here they seem harsh, I continued PM'ing Curtis and tried to balance it out in my messages - I'd responded with only the bad side on the public forum.

EEE has had some amazing lecturers here and some interesting modules, and my time there was really good.Though personally I think a better route personally would have been a better route. Obviously it is a personal thing, and the only way that you can see for yourself is to visit the university on open days.

I apolgise for the biased view that I would have given off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emsr1)
    I've removed my previous messages as on here they seem harsh, I continued PM'ing Curtis and tried to balance it out in my messages - I'd responded with only the bad side on the public forum.

EEE has had some amazing lecturers here and some interesting modules, and my time there was really good.Though personally I think a better route personally would have been a better route. Obviously it is a personal thing, and the only way that you can see for yourself is to visit the university on open days.

I apolgise for the biased view that I would have given off.
    You definitely already expressed this in a private message as you said. In your defence, you did give a balanced view through the post and PM's and that helped me made my decision, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliobaid7)

Curtis, I can confidently say that both are excellent choices. The course here at Loughborough was the reason I placed it as my firm choice. i
    Thank your for your feedbacks and reviews from the loughborough university Ali.I have received an offer from Cardiff and loughborough. When i went to lufboro the current students seemed hopeless and sad face about them feel lonely. Rather in cardiff it was really buzzing and kind and approachable current students with smile on their faces which really made me happy. Now Lufboro is becoming one the top 11 in the country overall but not so good in EEE.
    How is the teacher feedback and marking your coursework/Assignment timing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi emsr1

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the course. Are you a current student?

If you email your details to [email protected] I can raise your concerns directly with the department and ask somebody to get in touch with you.

Amy
    Get Ali to answer this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream_big)
    Thank your for your feedbacks and reviews from the loughborough university Ali.I have received an offer from Cardiff and loughborough. When i went to lufboro the current students seemed hopeless and sad face about them feel lonely. Rather in cardiff it was really buzzing and kind and approachable current students with smile on their faces which really made me happy. Now Lufboro is becoming one the top 11 in the country overall but not so good in EEE.
    How is the teacher feedback and marking your coursework/Assignment timing??
    Loughborough is ranked higher than Cardiff for EEE (http://www.theguardian.com/education...bles-2016#S210), and has better student satisfaction on average.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough is ranked higher than Cardiff for EEE (http://www.theguardian.com/education...bles-2016#S210), and has better student satisfaction on average.
    Thanks for your reply. well I went to both for applicant day and that was my thought and cardiff don't forget is one of Russell group uni and i am not so sure genuinely about the guardian table or the instates the don't always indicated the truth, Cardiff uni is in centre city as well well established uni for engineering.

ReputationRep:
    standard engineering student thread title there

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. well I went to both for applicant day and that was my thought and cardiff don't forget is one of Russell group uni and i am not so sure genuinely about the guardian table or the instates the don't always indicated the truth, Cardiff uni is in centre city as well well established uni for engineering.
    I was originally interested in Cardiff too, for mechanical engineering anyway (I changed all my offers to elec a few weeks ago) - I visited their department and its very good. For elec however the unistats don't really compare to mechanical engineering from what I remember. Loughborough definitely identifies as a uni with a strong engineering reputation and they will probably fly further up the ranks when the STEMlab is open next year. Don't write them off because of some undergrads looking under the weather!

Ali do you know where abouts STEMlab will be on campus?

ReputationRep:
    I was originally interested in Cardiff too, for mechanical engineering anyway (I changed all my offers to elec a few weeks ago) - I visited their department and its very good. For elec however the unistats don't really compare to mechanical engineering from what I remember. Loughborough definitely identifies as a uni with a strong engineering reputation and they will probably fly further up the ranks when the STEMlab is open next year. Don't write them off because of some undergrads looking under the weather!
    Mechanical engineering was my initial thoughts to pick and i wanted to go the automotive (electronic) industry through Mechanical Engineering but now i prefer EEE routes more to go automotive (electronic) industry due to i like the modules for EEE more. Loughborugh is really good for mechanical and other engineering department except for EEE somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical engineering was my initial thoughts to pick and i wanted to go the automotive (electronic) industry through Mechanical Engineering but now i prefer EEE routes more to go automotive (electronic) industry due to i like the modules for EEE more. Loughborugh is really good for mechanical and other engineering department except for EEE somehow.
    I wanted to to study mechanical for a career in robotics, both elec and mech make that possible but I too had a change of heart for the elec modules! I don't think there's that much difference between any of the top 20-30 uni's, obviously apart from the stand-outs. I'm really choosing lboro because of the placements/employability stats as well as the fact I love the look of some of the modules and the student experience there is highly rated. That and a bit of sport on the side is really appealing. I don't think you'd be any better or worse off by choosing Cardiff over Lboro at all, just down to preference of the place as you say.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to to study mechanical for a career in robotics, both elec and mech make that possible but I too had a change of heart for the elec modules! I don't think there's that much difference between any of the top 20-30 uni's, obviously apart from the stand-outs. I'm really choosing lboro because of the placements/employability stats as well as the fact I love the look of some of the modules and the student experience there is highly rated. That and a bit of sport on the side is really appealing. I don't think you'd be any better or worse off by choosing Cardiff over Lboro at all, just down to preference of the place as you say.
    Nevertheless i picked lufboro as my firm due to the thinks you have said. are exactly why i chosen this uni ! Job prospect really important and the fact that they are one of the universities that currently joined UKSEF which really amazing and really looking forward to scholarship with one of the companies. Hopefully. GOD Knows best.

ReputationRep:
    Nevertheless i picked lufboro as my firm due to the thinks you have said. are exactly why i chosen this uni ! Job prospect really important and the fact that they are one of the universities that currently joined UKSEF which really amazing and really looking forward to scholarship with one of the companies. Hopefully. GOD Knows best.
    Brilliant! Didn't realise you had firmed it, see you there...well hopefully!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.