Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm kinda stuck... I want to do Psychology at Uni starting this september, and I dont know whether to go for Bristol or Bath. I

have got an offer from both, however my predicted grades are AAA (plus EPQ) and where Bristol have asked for AAA, Bath has asked for A*AA.

A lot of people say they are similar academically, and I think the main pros and cons are:

Bath
    Pros: Good Department, Great accomodation, placement year (it is a 4 year course), Well respected University, I think they have a new psychology department coming, campus feel.
    Cons: the grades are quite high, isn't part of Russell Group Unis, no catered option.

Bristol:
    Pros: Great department, great place to live (the city is amazing), well respected and part of Russell Group unis, good social life.
    Cons: No placement year, accomodation can be miles away from department, i have found that people I have asked haven't been as impressed as with Bath?? (I might be wrong).

What do you guys think, should I take the risk with Bath's A*AA or go safe with Bristol AAA? Which uni would be better?

ReputationRep:
    I would play safe with Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genny)
    Ok I'm kinda stuck... I want to do Psychology at Uni starting this september, and I dont know whether to go for Bristol or Bath. I

have got an offer from both, however my predicted grades are AAA (plus EPQ) and where Bristol have asked for AAA, Bath has asked for A*AA.

A lot of people say they are similar academically, and I think the main pros and cons are:

Bath
    Pros: Good Department, Great accomodation, placement year (it is a 4 year course), Well respected University, I think they have a new psychology department coming, campus feel.
    Cons: the grades are quite high, isn't part of Russell Group Unis, no catered option.

Bristol:
    Pros: Great department, great place to live (the city is amazing), well respected and part of Russell Group unis, good social life.
    Cons: No placement year, accomodation can be miles away from department, i have found that people I have asked haven't been as impressed as with Bath?? (I might be wrong).

What do you guys think, should I take the risk with Bath's A*AA or go safe with Bristol AAA? Which uni would be better?
    The furthest accommodation (Stoke Bishop) is about a 40 minute walk to campus - but you get a free bus pass in first year anyway, which goes to uni and also the centre on weekends Can't you firm Bath and insure Bristol? Although I'd argue that Bristol is the better place to go
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Bristol. It is a Russell Group University and has a good reputation. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Whether a uni belongs to the Russell Group makes absolutely no difference. Up until 2012 Bath was a member of the 1994 group which included Durham, St Andrews, Lancaster, Exeter and York amongst others. At that time there were more 1994 group members in the top 15 universities on all the Uk league tables than RG. When Durham, Exeter and York joined the RG the situation was reversed. Durham, Exeter and York have not got better because of joining the RG. Similarly Bath, Lancaster and St Andrews have not suddenly deteriorated because they did not join the RG. The Russell Group was set up as a marketing tool because certain unis feared losing their research funding. Do not fall into the trap that something is better or worse because they are in or out of the RG.
    League tables are a guide but the reality is there is little difference between the top 30 unis. Bath and Bristol are of very similar standard.
    You need to make your decisions on a number of factors. One person's decision will not be another's. Look at the factors as follows
    Which course do you prefer.
    Do you feel the placement year will benefit you
    Would you prefer to live on campus on the outskirts of a smallish town or in a suburb of a major city possibly some distance away from lectures.
    Do you prefer the idea of being in a big city or small city.

Only you can decide this and every person will have different feelings so ignore what others say. Whichever you decide is right for you they are both excellent universities and the other issues just don't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol

Also, as to social life, many Bath friends travel to Bristol for nights out...

Accommodationcan be far, but the bus is free and regular.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you!

I think I am veering towards Bristol to play it safe, but I'll have another look at the courses
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you

Bath does have a part-catered accommodation as far as I am aware. Polden Court gives you a card with £55 p/w to spend on food on campus.

Russel group isn't the be-all and end-all either.

Have a think about how important the placement year would be to you as well (they give very few placements out for Psychology at Bath, most people are on the course without placement) and whether it'd be valuable for whatever you want to do in the future.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Genny)

Bath

Bristol:

Hi,

I'm a current second year Psychology student at Bath. Although I cannot really comment on the Bristol course, I can hopefully give you an insight into what the Psychology course is like at Bath and why I chose to study here!

Something that was really important to me when choosing a university was whether it was based on a campus or not. Bath is a campus university, which is great as it offers all the facilities such as accommodation, the SU, sports facilities, the library, bars, cafes, a theatre and teaching facilities all in one place; making it a nice and convenient place to live - kind of like a small town. This definitely made the transition to university much easier! The size of the campus means that you will rarely walk across campus without bumping into a familiar face and because it is relatively small there is a real community feel. Living on campus in first year means you only have to walk 5 minutes to get to your lectures, and for me being on campus all the time made me feel that I was really part of what was going on at the university and had the opportunity to get involved with things such as societies, sports and volunteering. Also, I personally found campus life was very social and living on campus made it really easy to meet new people.

It is also important to consider location and what type of city you would like to live in. Bath, being a World Heritage site, is a beautiful and picturesque city to live in. Although it's smaller than Bristol, Bath is a great student city with lots of shops, restaurants and nightlife, and from my experience there is plenty to do. To get an idea, you can take a look at Bath Leap list, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by university students!

In terms of the course itself: something that is fairly unique to the Psychology course at Bath is the placement year. The placement year is taken during the third year of the degree, and involves working in an apprentice role with a professional psychologist. There are placements available in both the UK and overseas, in many different areas of Psychology such as clinical placements in hospitals, research placements at universities, and forensic placements in prisons. This is a great opportunity to get work experience in Psychology, as this type of work experience is usually very difficult to get. The placement year looks fantastic on your CV, and it can be very useful in helping you to decide what kind of career you may want to do in the future.

Another factor to consider is how the course is assessed, and whether this suits you. The Psychology course at Bath is very varied in how it is assessed, including exams, essays, group projects, practical work and presentations. Personally, I don't particularly like being assessed by exams and prefer coursework - so this was definitely a key factor in my decision to study at Bath.

Additionally, there are catered accommodation options available at the University of Bath. For example, Polden Court and Brendon Court are fully catered halls, whilst The Quads is part-catered. Students in fully catered accommodation get an eat and drink student card which is loaded with £55 per week, whilst students in part-catered accommodation get £27.50 per week loaded onto this card. This can be spent at the many bars and eateries on campus (which you can find out more about here). During my first year I lived in part-catered accommodation, and I personally really liked the food options available on campus, as there is a wide variety of meals available at a very reasonable price. To find out more about catered accommodation options you can take a look at our website here.

If you haven't yet been to an open day, I would definitely advise coming to look around - as it may help you to decide whether or not you can see yourself spending the next three or four years here at Bath! I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's really useful, thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.