Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm graduating in July and will probably be deep into my overdraft (as in sure many of you will). I was wondering who the repayment process work with regards to when they start charging you fees for it?

I'm with Santander and would upgrade to a graduate account but you need to prove you are in full time employment or have an offer for it. I won't have this as I'll be starting postgrad in January but won't have an offer for that until September/October time to be eligible for a postgrad account.

My issue is basically I don't want to be slapped with extortionate overdraft fees but not really sure how the process work.

Thanks for the help!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Greg1995)
    Hi guys,

I'm graduating in July and will probably be deep into my overdraft (as in sure many of you will). I was wondering who the repayment process work with regards to when they start charging you fees for it?

I'm with Santander and would upgrade to a graduate account but you need to prove you are in full time employment or have an offer for it. I won't have this as I'll be starting postgrad in January but won't have an offer for that until September/October time to be eligible for a postgrad account.

My issue is basically I don't want to be slapped with extortionate overdraft fees but not really sure how the process work.

Thanks for the help!
    Have you spoken to the bank and explained your situation?

"12. Ending your studies
    If you decide not to continue with your studies then you must notify us. If you leave your course, you will no longer be eligible for thiscurrent account and any 1I2I3 Student Arranged Overdraft Allowance will be withdrawn. The services on your current account will bechanged or your current account will be closed.

When you complete your course you will no longer be eligible for this current account. At this time, these Specific Conditions will cease toapply to your current account and unless we agree with you before the end of your course that you can have a different facility with us, your1I2I3 Student Current Account will automatically be transferred to the 1I2I3 Graduate Current Account and the Specific Conditions for the1I2I3 Graduate Current Account will apply. We will give you at least two months’ notice of the date of the change or, if applicable, closure.

You may be eligible for alternative facilities. If you need any further information, please visit your local branch or call 0800 9 123 123."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.