Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is a looooooooooong way from me but I think its better to get it out of the way.
    Which course is better: Medicine or dentistry?
    I wanted to do medicine at first but i am rethinking it and I would like to do dentistry. I go to a private school and I have a scholarship but it is still a lot to pay and my mum said that she didn't have to pour out money for school just to do dentistry-she thinks it is easy and wants me to do medicine! What should I do and how can i persuade her to let me do dentistry???

ReputationRep:
    Well it seems you have plenty of time to decide what you really want to do. Dentistry is a highly respected field too and takes the same number of years when it comes to training, also I'm pretty sure if you're concerned about it the money is also similar to the amount you would make doing medicine. It is also highly competitive, nearly as competitive I'd say. I did not apply for either so I cannot say for sure but from what others have been through I have an idea. If you want to persuade your mother you just have to present the facts to her and there's not much more you can do.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for dentistry this year and trust me it is not easy, I had good grades and lots of work experience and still got some rejections. I wouldn't say either is easier, at the end of the day you are gonna need AAA at A-level, good GCSEs, lots of work experience and a competitive UKCAT/BMAT score for either. I'd say explore both and decide which one you like best from work experience, pick the one which is best for you and good luck. Neither is easy to get into but it is possible with hard work.

I picked dent over med because I liked the hands on, surgical aspect and because of my own personal experiences of dentistry. Everyone will have different reasons for their choices but just remember you'll be doing your chosen career for a long time so make sure it is your decision, not anyone else's and you are genuinely interested in that career. Hope you find out which one is for you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help! Really helps and hopefully it works out well.

ReputationRep:
    Read up on both fields and come to that conclusion yourself, on how interesting you find the content.
    Otherwise you may find yourself making the wrong decision!
    Lots of resources on YouTube and Medical and Dentistry books, articles, and blogs out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Read up on both fields and come to that conclusion yourself, on how interesting you find the content.
    Otherwise you may find yourself making the wrong decision!
    Lots of resources on YouTube and Medical and Dentistry books, articles, and blogs out there.
    Thanks, I'll have a look online 😊
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by XxMirunaxX)
    This is a looooooooooong way from me but I think its better to get it out of the way.
    I wanted to do medicine at first but i am rethinking it and I would like to do dentistry. I go to a private school and I have a scholarship but it is still a lot to pay and my mum said that she didn't have to pour out money for school just to do dentistry-she thinks it is easy and wants me to do medicine! What should I do and how can i persuade her to let me do dentistry???
    Good morning,

Choosing between Dentistry or Medicine is a tough one. Both are highly respectable degrees of course! Undergraduate training to become a dentist usually takes 5 years. After that, you then need to do postgraduate training - it's not as easy as some might think!

We've got some helpful free pages on our website to give you a bit of insight into what being a student is like. For Dentistry, have a look at Joelle's and James' case studies. They both are current Dental students.

For Medicine, check out Nicholas' case study. He's a student at Imperial.

Also, for general tips on 'deciding on Dentistry', check out our Dentistry section (use the left hand menu to explore around the subject).

We've also got some free 'day in the life' type blogs for both Medicine and Dentistry, both written by current students:
    Being an Imperial Medicine Student
    Dentistry Courses: what are they really like?

One more thing to think about is Oral & Maxillofacial surgery. This involves treatment of the mouth, jaw, face and neck. To be a surgeon in this field you need both a medical and dental degree (again - no easy feat!)! Perhaps, since you are torn between Medicine and Dentistry, this is a great middleground, incorporating the two? Do a little bit of research into it, and see what you find .

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkathryn08)
    Well it seems you have plenty of time to decide what you really want to do. Dentistry is a highly respected field too and takes the same number of years when it comes to training, also I'm pretty sure if you're concerned about it the money is also similar to the amount you would make doing medicine. It is also highly competitive, nearly as competitive I'd say. I did not apply for either so I cannot say for sure but from what others have been through I have an idea. If you want to persuade your mother you just have to present the facts to her and there's not much more you can do.
    Dentistry is just as, if not more, competitive than Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxMirunaxX)
    1) "Just to do Dentistry" - both are highly respected degrees to complete and require the same grade requirements (pretty much) and have a pretty much identical applicant ratio where the applicants are mostly straight A/A* students.
    2) Dentistry is easy? Many people are under the impression that Dentistry is a narrow degree just learning about teeth, or the mouth - it is in fact one of the most expansive degrees you can do. You will need to learn highly detailed anatomy, materials science, physics, chemistry, psychology, etc. There really is a heck of a lot to remember, and that's just the remembering part! You also have to be a competent clinician and be good with your hands. It is just as hard as medicine.
    3) I don't think it matters what your mom wants you to do but rather what you feel is the most interesting career for yourself to pursue as your mom isn't the person who will be having to trawl through 5 years of a degree. If you pick medicine because of prestige then you will be sorely disappointed. Pick what you think you'll love to do, not what will earn you "respect" or lots of money etc. Just think that you will have to deal with the consequences of your actions, your mom won't. Please don't pick something solely because your parents want you to, you will be disappointed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.