Turn on thread page Beta

Muon's Daily Revision Summary! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Insight314 Would you be able help with a probable silly slip on an M4 q? On June 2011 q2, when applying Newton's Law of restitution to the wall I got  - \frac{3}{4} u \sin \theta = v \sin \phi (where  \theta , \phi are the angles between the wall and initial velocity and wall and final velocity respectively, but I shouldnt have a -ve there apparently. Why is this the case?
    It doesn't matter, all they're doing is absorbing the negative into the "u" - i.e: you've made sure that both your u and v are positive, they will have u and v being of differing signs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It doesn't matter, all they're doing is absorbing the negative into the "u" - i.e: you've made sure that both your u and v are positive, they will have u and v being of differing signs.
    hmm thanks, ok thats what I thought but my final answer is incorrect as I have a negative in my workings that shouldnt be there later on. I guess I must have to 'account' for this negative somehow?
    E.g. I have
    Let  x be distance XC.
     u \cos \theta = v \cos \phi .
    Dividing the 1st expression by 2nd,  - \frac{3}{4} \tan \theta = \tan \phi \Rightarrow - \frac{3}{4} \dfrac{4}{5-x} = \frac{7.5}{x} and rearranging I get  x= 25/3 instead of 25/7 or whatever it should be. Im guessing its just a really dumb mistake I missed!?

ReputationRep:
    hmm thanks, ok thats what I thought but my final answer is incorrect as I have a negative in my workings that shouldnt be there later on. I guess I must have to 'account' for this negative somehow?
    E.g. I have
    Let  x be distance XC.
     u \cos \theta = v \cos \phi .
    Dividing the 1st expression by 2nd,  - \frac{3}{4} \tan \theta = \tan \phi \Rightarrow - \frac{3}{4} \dfrac{4}{5-x} = \frac{7.5}{x} and rearranging I get  x= 25/3 instead of 25/7 or whatever it should be. Im guessing its just a really dumb mistake I missed!?
    Oh yeah, my bad!

You are resolving perpendicular to the wall, so what the negative sign is really saying is v\sin \phi - \frac{3}{4} u \sin \theta = 0 - think about it like conservation of momentum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Oh yeah, my bad!

You are resolving perpendicular to the wall, so what the negative sign is really saying is v\sin \phi - \frac{3}{4} u \sin \theta = 0 - think about it like conservation of momentum.
    ah ok I see, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    ah ok I see, thanks!
    I think that's how it's shown in the textbook (if you look at the fist few pages of the chapter)?

ReputationRep:
    Insight314 physicsmaths Dont suppose you remember doing that q6 from M4 June 05? So my argument is the standard thing that if interception occurs aVb= k i . By looking at an expression for the rel. velocity in terms of theta I get that theta either equals -arctan4/3 or arctan 4/3 not anywhere in between. Any ideas where they get that range from in the q?

ReputationRep:
    Insight314 physicsmaths Dont suppose you remember doing that q6 from M4 June 05? So my argument is the standard thing that if interception occurs aVb= k i . By looking at an expression for the rel. velocity in terms of theta I get that theta either equals -arctan4/3 or arctan 4/3 not anywhere in between. Any ideas where they get that range from in the q?
    will try now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    will try now
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Haven't done the question, but doesn't it have to do with the fact that A travels at maximum speed so the value of the speed of A would vary so theta would also vary since tan theta is relative speed over speed of A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Haven't done the question, but doesn't it have to do with the fact that A travels at maximum speed so the value of the speed of A would vary so theta would also vary since tan theta is relative speed over speed of A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes ofcourse! Sorry that was me missing out a rather important word from the question XD Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464957713.736710.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  107.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very different to the Mark scheme but who cares haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    nice, thanks. I think I did the same but just missed out every single inequality with an equality

ReputationRep:
    nice, thanks. I think I did the same but just missed out every single inequality with an equality
    I dnt get what the **** the mark schemes going on about.
    I tend to do most questions different to the MS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah same with me, its really offputting sometimes as the methods shown seem to vary between purely algebraic to purely geometrical for similar problems.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Old spec uses different textbooks so your method is different to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.