The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
poiuyt
how do u find the closest approach of an alpha particle to a nucleus?

By finding the point where the electromagnetic force is at a maximum?
Reply 2
poiuyt

The closer it gets, the greater the angle of reflection, so measure the angles and pressumably if you get something like 160-170 degrees it's pretty much collided with it. :confused:
Reply 3
i have no idea thats why im asking :smile:
poiuyt

To expand on text box's idea,since they are both positivley charged the alpha particle will deflect,so the greater the angle of deflection the closer the alpha particle was to the nucleus?
Reply 5
IntegralAnomaly
To expand on text box's idea,since they are both positivley charged the alpha particle will deflect,so the greater the angle of deflection the closer the alpha particle was to the nucleus?

he wants a value?
Reply 6
How can you give a value to the question?

"How do you feed a dog"
"25"
Reply 7
DazYaYYY
he wants a value?

I would have said what you said earlier, but then it was removed
DazYaYYY
he wants a value?

you can't get a value because u don't know the atomic number of a nucleus,i.e the higher the atomic number then the greater the deflection(asumming speed of alpha particle is quite high)
Reply 9
IntegralAnomaly
you can't get a value because u don't know the atomic number of a nucleus

just assume values: i.e. an alpha particle is a helium nuclide therefore has an atomic number of 2 and a mass number of 4
Reply 10
airflow
I would have said what you said earlier, but then it was removed

it lost focus, the question was too brief
DazYaYYY
just assume values: i.e. an alpha particle is a helium nuclide therefore has an atomic number of 2 and a mass number of 4

U can't assume a value!It will differ for different nuclei.
Reply 12
IntegralAnomaly

Yes, but in terms of finding an exact point, you need to find the point where the electrostatic (or coulomb force) reaches maximum value.

I think you also made the presumption that it met it head on perhaps.
Reply 13
IntegralAnomaly
U can't assume a value!It will differ for different nuclei.

are you telling me that an alpha particle doesn't have a mass number of 4 and an atomic number of 2?
Reply 14
Text_Box
Yes, but in terms of finding an exact point, you need to find the point where the electrostatic (or coulomb force) reaches maximum value.

but to get the coulomb force it depends on the seperation distance, the charge is cool, just the distance

you could always rearrange to get the distance?
Text_Box

yes but by measuring the angle of deflection from the initial path of the particle u can calculate the force.
DazYaYYY
are you telling me that an alpha particle doesn't have a mass number of 4 and an atomic number of 2?

i meant u can't assume the value of the atomic number for the nuclei.
Reply 17
DazYaYYY
but to get the coulomb force it depends on the seperation distance, the charge is cool, just the distance

you could always rearrange to get the distance?

Well perhaps, there are probably complex formulae used to calculate this distance from the nucleus, but I wouldn't know what they are! I've only just completed AS. :smile:
Reply 18
IntegralAnomaly
yes but by measuring the angle of deflection from the initial path of the particle u can calculate the force.

so are u saying u cud use

F = KQ1Q1/r2 which will give r2 = KQ1Q2/F ???? ( providing the force is found ) as well as the angle of deflection
Reply 19
Text_Box
Well perhaps, there are probably complex formulae used to calculate this distance from the nucleus, but I wouldn't know what they are! I've only just completed AS. :smile:

lol in an exam they will never ever ever say " how do u find the closest approach of an alpha particle to a nucleus? " wat a load of shit.

Latest

Trending

Trending