Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Islamophobia is the greatest threat to society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mall-cop)
    I tentatively agree, depending on which issues you feel need more attention.
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    No sweetheart, radicalisation that goes unchecked and unreported is a much bigger problem.
    Sheldon said it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't agree with the OP at all, Muslims are very rarely 'one of us' and often act as apologists. I don't see the benefit of importing them nor allowing the expansion of mosques ect..
    What do you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    Sheldon said it
    I don't get how that answers the question I'm asking.
    I meant like which social issues do you feel go ignored that Islamaphobia outshines?
    ie; police brutality, the crime rate, drop out rate, nepotism, sexism in the workplace, racial inequality in the corporate world, poverty in the third world, dog abuse :erm:...?

ReputationRep:
    I think of other greater threats to mankind, than Islamophobia

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how that answers the question I'm asking.
    I meant like which social issues do you feel go ignored that Islamaphobia outshines?
    ie; police brutality, the crime rate, drop out rate, nepotism, sexism in the workplace, racial inequality in the corporate world, poverty in the third world, dog abuse :erm:...?
    You listed a number of them. Just in case you get the wrong end of the stick, I think that Islamophobia should be treated in equivalence with sexism and racial inequality because they are all based on discrimination .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal96123)
    The law needs to change so any criticism of Islam or Muslims faces prison
    No it doesn't and it won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't agree with the OP at all, Muslims are very rarely 'one of us' and often act as apologists. I don't see the benefit of importing them nor allowing the expansion of mosques ect..
    Most are 'one of us'.

Excluding them from society doesn't reduce extremism. It does the complete opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I don't agree with the term as it is perfectly rational to detest and want to eradicate Islam. Hate against Muslims is a different matter and this I would term anti-Muslim bigotry, not Islamophobia.
    Attacking Islam is another way for you people to attack Muslims. You are part of the problem

ReputationRep:
    You listed a number of them. Just in case you get the wrong end of the stick, I think that Islamophobia should be treated in equivalence with sexism and racial inequality because they are all based on discrimination .
    Oh ok lol just wanted to know if that's what you meant, that people make a big deal out of one issue and neglect handling others that also negatively impact society. Yea I agree it all needs to be addressed but if you disagree with legislative changes penalising people who say/do discriminatory things, then what is it exactly that can be done to make sure it's effectively addressed? Maybe if not penalising people for doing it, then perhaps, when it comes to the workplace, and equal education, upping "equal opportunity" from just...having the chance (to be interviewed and to apply is really all that is because there was a time when people of colour, especially blacks, and then women, were not able to even be interviewed or hand in applications).

The government needs to actually make sure that employment methods are more equitable, across the board. I don't care if it's a private business. In a world where equality is promised and claimed, it needs to be guaranteed that you don't just get a job because of a connection (nepotism :rolleyes:), but that there's an official supervisor in local government surveying how each and every business hires people, and that there's an equal number of whites, people of colour, blacks, women, legal working ages, and Muslims.

I don't see what equivalence there is between physical characteristics like race and sex and religion, which is a belief/set of ideas that can be changed at will. I've often seen this said, and find myself baffled that people can't fathom that one can be opposed to discrimination on all three grounds without pretending that religion and race/sex are perfectly comparable.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it will. Firstly the EU is reforming the EU convention on human rights to accommodate for attacks on Islam and Muslims (or at least debating it as far a I know). Secondly, we are fastest growing community in Europe, as we slowly become the majority it only makes democratic sense that people accept Islamic values
    So you believe that Sharia courts (which work on some of the most backward sets of laws in the world) should be in the UK? Sharia law and Western civilisation doesn't go well together. Why is it that Western countries are having to bend over backwards for Islam? If Muslims want a Sharia law court, they should leave the UK and go to a Sharia law country.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is the greatest threat to society

ReputationRep:
    The government needs to actually make sure that employment methods are more equitable, across the board. I don't care if it's a private business. In a world where equality is promised and claimed, it needs to be guaranteed that you don't just get a job because of a connection (nepotism :rolleyes:), but that there's an official supervisor in local government surveying how each and every business hires people, and that there's an equal number of whites, people of colour, blacks, women, legal working ages, and Muslims.
    I agree with you entirely in that point, and I think that there often are such supervisors in large businesses. Not so sure about small ones though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I don't see what equivalence there is between physical characteristics like race and sex and religion, which is a belief/set of ideas that can be changed at will. I've often seen this said, and find myself baffled that people can't fathom that one can be opposed to discrimination on all three grounds without pretending that religion and race/sex are perfectly comparable.
    I personally am not saying that those three are the same but I think it is often the case that people often discriminate on these grounds in the same way:dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    Attacking Islam is another way for you people to attack Muslims. You are part of the problem
    No it isn't, an ideology and people are two very different things.

Actually it will. Firstly the EU is reforming the EU convention on human rights to accommodate for attacks on Islam and Muslims (or at least debating it as far a I know). Secondly, we are fastest growing community in Europe, as we slowly become the majority it only makes democratic sense that people accept Islamic values
    Muslims currently constitute less than 5 percent of the UK population -- hardly the mandate that you'd need to impose Islamofascism on the other >95 percent.

People like you are the reason why we need a difficult-to-change written constitution that guarantees the rights that you're aching to do away with for the sake of your precious feelings.

If you want Sharia law, move to the Islamic State. You're not getting what you want here without a civil war that will end badly for people like you. Need I remind you what became of the last people who tried to impose fascism on Europe? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it won't. Where is your evidence that it is the fastest growing community? And even if it is, it does not follow that you'll become a majority. An inquiry has been ordered into Sharia courts on the basis of discrimination so they're unlikely to last long.

There will not be a law criminalising the criticism of an ideology, that violates the fundamental tenets of free speech.

ReputationRep:
    Sharia courts have proven to be a moral and helpful guide for society. As Muslims become the majority religious group it only makes sense that we have our religious needs satisfied. Eventually we will be the dominant group so you can't seriously expect things not to change. At the moment we are not the dominant group so I agree that things do not go that way for now but westerners could at least show respect with not criticising Islam or Muslims, serving halal in all food outlets, women could atleast conform to a sensible dress code and so on.
    1) Why should women have to conform to a "sensible" dress code for some sexist, misogynistic, backward religion? It's the West, they can wear whatever the hell they want. If you prefer women in niqabs (which imo should be banned in the UK) then you can go off to Syria, Iraq or Saudi Arabia. I hear they're lovely this time of the year.

2) Sharia courts are for those who can't handle a proper Western court because they know they probably would be charged with something.

It's perfectly fine to criticise Islam. It's not compatible with Western values and ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you entirely in that point, and I think that there often are such supervisors in large businesses. Not so sure about small ones though.
    The small ones is the issue. That's the day to day life that affects people. Does it make sense that these local businesses you attend everyday never hire anyone from the community? :hmmm: They get away with it because there's no local gov't ensuring that they do so. Ridiculous. It doesn't happen on the big scale either, the corporate ladder is one helluva thing to climb. And I feel it doesn't need to be just like human resources within the business, but actual external governmental surveying to check the equality responsibility. My main issue is equal standards in schooling as well using the same surveying method, make it a whole new occupation for people to be trained and hired to legally survey these businesses from the outside, to ensure equality. If the statistics aren't there, then warn them of what they need to do. If they ignore come after em like they would for taxes . Equality isn't ensured, it's claimed :rolleyes:

. Eventually we will be the dominant group
    This doesn't account for assimilation, and is hopelessly optimistic on your part even if assimilation wasn't an issue. :lol:

At the moment we are not the dominant group so I agree that things do not go that way for now but westerners could at least show respect with not criticising Islam or Muslims, serving halal in all food outlets, women could atleast conform to a sensible dress code and so on.
    LOL. You think you'll get these in a society where less than 5 percent of people are in favour of this? What a troll.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.