Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could change something about your parents, what would it be? Watch

(Original post by Hydeman)
    Not everyone has parents they'd miss, although I understand the sentiment you're trying to put across. :console:
    I thought that beforehand too, in some aspects, trust me. I know some people don't get on with their parents at all, and that's sad but nothing can change that. But those who do have decent parents which they "hate", they really need to look at the bigger picture.

ReputationRep:
    for me to never have a dad, maybe a second mum

x
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No, I understand this. Cutting out my dad isn't an issue, but in terms of my mum, I find it's very hard to move on while still in contact with her because she serves as a reminder of my past and all the things she's done (or - in many cases - hasn't).

To be honest, if I could cut my mum out without also cutting out two of my brothers in the process, I'm almost certain I'd do it.

My mum often tries to excuse her failings by the fact she had a bad childhood herself and while she shouldn't have had to experience that, that doesn't excuse it. I've experienced what I have and resolved to ensure my own children never have to go through that. You should want better for your own children.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Also, I've said this a few times, but I feel like no matter how many times I say it, it still won't be enough. I'm sorry you weren't given the parents you deserve and while I do admire those who can accept and move on, I don't think it's bad of you to feel you have to seperate from them.

You've turned out to be a pretty great guy in spite of that, in my opinion. :yep:

Hyde, you da man.

ReputationRep:
    their income

(Original post by mall-cop)
    "Indeed" :rofl:
    Indeed. :holmes:

unexpected because we barely speak and people on here are just too much
    I don't think I need to have spoken to someone a lot to recognise they've been dealt a bad hand and offer kindness because of that.

And yes, you came too late! The sky is falling! :eek2:

Who knew you and K discussed matters of such importance. :holmes:

Apologies. While I can't offer a replacement sky, I can offer a rep. You can use your gems to shelter yourself when ...

Spoiler:
    Show
    ... what does happen when the sky falls?

Nothing
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    That's admirable. I'm not nearly as generous although, to be fair, much of my parents' shortcomings had nothing to do with their own struggles; they're just incompetent parents who didn't deserve to have children.

Interestingly, I've found that most people that I've spoken to about this prefer your approach of accepting and moving on, whereas I can see no way forward without permanently cutting them out of my life. How I long for the day... :moon:
    either way, whatever path you take, best of luck

(Original post by Anonymous)
    That they exist.
    If I had to be more specific then I would make them not Neanderthals who are homophobic and think anyone who has facial ring or different hair or a beard are idiots for being different.
    sadly homophobia isnt anything you can do about i guess. appearance factors however vary from people to people (personally body piecings creep me out from the point of view that I wouldnt want to be in an intimate relationship with someone who has tattoos or body piercings but I have a lot of colleagues / friends with facial / body piecings).
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thefatone)
    for me to never have a dad, maybe a second mum
    been reading your posts and is quite shocking how things are in your life. I hope your situation at home improves.

My mum suffers quite badly from depression so I'd change that as it breaks my heart to know she struggles.

ReputationRep:
    my mum is very ill at the moment so id make her better. My dad smokes and lies a lot ( i know those are too things but they kinda go together)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd change what my mum was like in the past. She's an amazing mum now but she wasn't always and it left a mark on me mentally and affected our relationship a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    blah blah
    This

http://louderwithcrowder.com/wp-cont...ry-friends.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCPC247)
    their income
    Your ideal parents, I'm guessing?

http://i.imgur.com/58TsPOP.gif

I want my dad to stop hitting my mum.
    I want him to stop spitting hateful comments at me every day. I will never stoop as low as him and be the hateful coward he is but it would be nice if he could just stop being so aggressive and pipe the **** down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I want my dad to stop hitting my mum.
    I want him to stop spitting hateful comments at me every day. I will never stoop as low as him and be the hateful coward he is but it would be nice if he could just stop being so aggressive and pipe the **** down
    I'm sorry you're in this position, have you reach out for help? There are multiple organisations out there that will be able to help you and your mum

ReputationRep:
    I wish they had more money (not just for my happiness but for theirs too); apart from that I love them just as they are

ReputationRep:
    I'd change the fact they didn't use protection 9 months before I was born

(Original post by Blondie)
    I'm sorry you're in this position, have you reach out for help? There are multiple organisations out there that will be able to help you and your mum
    I would really like to do something to stop it but I can't. I called the police out of fear because I was so terrified for my mum recently and that only made things worse. He stopped hurting her for a month or so and the verbal abuse towards me was so much worse. If I get external people involved, it will just be the same and family members have spoken to my dad so there isn't much I can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    I know the exact feeling. best you can do is hope things work out for the better / your able to exceed them
    Lol, thanks, don't worry we don't have any money problems, we're pretty comfortable I would say but as uni fees are coming I feel it weights on my parents and I don't like it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.