Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I needed a case study on Mount Pinatubo but was unable to find a sufficient amount of information.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has these facts/ i will appreciate it highly.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Information:
    * Landslides started and parasitic cones erupted, indicating tectonic activity.
    * Exploded with a scale of 6 on VEI (Volcanic Expolsivity Index)
    * When it erupted it blanketed the surrounding area in ash and dust. This affected agriculture (plants can't photosynthesise). Effects were worsened by a typhoon that occurred at the same time as the volcano.
    * 26 million tonnes of sulphur into the atmosphere - global temperatures were affected.
    * Large danger from pyroclastic flows and lahars.
    Impacts:
    * 650,000 jobs lost
    * 200,000 evacuated around Pinatubo. Poor management - many died of disease in the evacuation camps.
    * 50,000 homes lost
    * 800 dead
    Facts
    * Ocurred in East Asia, Philippines
    * Destructive plate boundary
    * Triggered by 7.8 Richter earthquake
    * Huge lahars.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skuka)
    Information:
    * Landslides started and parasitic cones erupted, indicating tectonic activity.
    * Exploded with a scale of 6 on VEI (Volcanic Expolsivity Index)
    * When it erupted it blanketed the surrounding area in ash and dust. This affected agriculture (plants can't photosynthesise). Effects were worsened by a typhoon that occurred at the same time as the volcano.
    * 26 million tonnes of sulphur into the atmosphere - global temperatures were affected.
    * Large danger from pyroclastic flows and lahars.
    Impacts:
    * 650,000 jobs lost
    * 200,000 evacuated around Pinatubo. Poor management - many died of disease in the evacuation camps.
    * 50,000 homes lost
    * 800 dead
    Facts
    * Ocurred in East Asia, Philippines
    * Destructive plate boundary
    * Triggered by 7.8 Richter earthquake
    * Huge lahars.

Hope this helps
    Wow thanks for that I was missing it. appreciate it mate

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 30, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.