C4 Integration Help - 2 Questions Watch

TheKevinFang
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c

Hi, I'm stuck on Question 11 and Question 4 attached above...

I would like tips on how to complete/do question 11, but for question 4, if you could give a solution to it, as I get negative ln values at the end, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.
B_9710
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For Q11  \displaystyle y^2 = \frac{x^2}{x^3+4}

You seem to have claimed that  (a+b)^{1/2} = a^{1/2} + b^{1/2} which is not true.
Last edited by B_9710; 2 years ago
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you remembered that  \displaystyle \int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx = \ln |f(x)| + c \neq \ln \left (f(x) \right ) + c .
You need the absolute value inside the log function.
stochasym
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
May I ask sth about Q4? In order to calculate the area of the shaded region, did you use something like this  A=\int_{3/2}^{5/2}\left | \frac{1}{(X-1)(X-3)}+\frac{4}{3} \right |dx?
thanks.
ItsMJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by depymak)
May I ask sth about Q4? In order to calculate the area of the shaded region, did you use something like this  A=\int_{3/2}^{5/2}\left | \frac{1}{(X-1)(X-3)}+\frac{4}{3} \right |dx?
thanks.
Well I don't know of any way to solve that integrand in that specific form. What I did was convert that rational function into a partial fraction, which allows us to integrate it ( integral of 1/(x-1) is just ln(x-1). Then I used the y=f(x), (f(x)= -4/3) to get the intersection points which are also the limits of our integral to find the area. Then just integrate away. Although I'm not sure if my answer is correct as OP given any answers. Hope this helped.
TheKevinFang
Rep:
?
(Original post by B_9710)
Have you remembered that  \displaystyle \int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx = \ln |f(x)| + c \neq \ln \left (f(x) \right ) + c .
You need the absolute value inside the log function.
Ahh okay, so when I get negative values of ln when substituting in x values, I would just use the absolute values?

Thanks.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheKevinFang)
Ahh okay, so when I get negative values of ln when substituting in x values, I would just use the absolute values?

Thanks.
Yes.
Ayman!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks.
Nope, not the absolute values of x, you take the absolute value of the argument of the logarithm. You substitute the values for x in as you would normally, but if the argument of your logarithm is less than 0, then you take the absolute value since the argument of a logarithm can't be less than 0.
TheKevinFang
Rep:
?
(Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
Nope, not the absolute values of x, you take the absolute value of the argument of the logarithm. You substitute the values for x in as you would normally, but if the argument of your logarithm is less than 0, then you take the absolute value since the argument of a logarithm can't be less than 0.
Ahh thanks, that's what I meant but I'm pretty bad at typing maths ideas in my head
TheKevinFang
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Yes.
Hi, I've completed the question by getting area = 0.235 (3s.f.)

One question though,

I get area = 4/3 - (-ln(3) + ln (1))

Would that just be 4/3 - (ln (3/1))?

If I have -ln(3) would I just use the absolute value also? (as opposed to something like ln(-3) )

Thanks in advance.
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

One question though,

If I have -ln(3) would I just use the absolute value also? (as opposed to something like ln(-3) )

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure if fully understand what we mean by the absolute value inside the log (if you do understand and I have misread what you posted then I apologise).
If you have

\displaystyle I= \int_{-2}^{1} \frac{1}{x} dx then you get

\displaystyle I = \left  [\ln |x| \right ]^{1}_{-2} = \ln (1) - \ln |-2| = 0- \ln(2) .
So the area would be  \ln 2 .
AmazingAmirah786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c

Hi, I'm stuck on Question 11 and Question 4 attached above...

I would like tips on how to complete/do question 11, but for question 4, if you could give a solution to it, as I get negative ln values at the end, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Out of interest, which book are those questions from ?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

One question though,

Thanks in advance.
Nopes, you leave -ln(3) as it is, you would change ln(-3) into ln(3).
stochasym
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes,thank you
(Original post by ItsMJ)
Well I don't know of any way to solve that integrand in that specific form. What I did was convert that rational function into a partial fraction, which allows us to integrate it ( integral of 1/(x-1) is just ln(x-1). Then I used the y=f(x), (f(x)= -4/3) to get the intersection points which are also the limits of our integral to find the area. Then just integrate away. Although I'm not sure if my answer is correct as OP given any answers. Hope this helped.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (219)
92.02%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (19)
7.98%

Watched Threads