Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    OP - you need to get legal advice on this. CAB should be able to either give you advice or point you in the direct of someone who can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnsheppard99)
    My flatmate is a mess, so much so she'd rather go out partying and getting laid than paying any bills etc..I knew she's been struggling with some bills for a while, but today I found a letter saying shes missed payments on her car insurance, and despite several attempts by them to get hold of her, she's not responded so are now reffering her debt to a debt collection agency, with an additional fee on top..

From what I know and gather, this now means they will be coming to the flat and taking goods to pay off the debt right?
    Thing is, what if they want to take my stuff instead. How can I stop them taking my things and proove things are mine? I paid for the TV for example, and there should be a reciept around still somewhere, but theres an xbox one and xbox 360 in the living room, kitchen appliances etc, then in my room I have a tablet, phones, a pc etc pretty much none of which I still have reciepts of..
    Im afraid now that one day while im at work, debt collectors will arrive and take a load of my things.

Trouble is, she doesnt have much of her own..an old ipad, a kindle, a phone still running android 2.3, and another tv..so what would they do?!
    Tell everyone in the house to lock doors and windows securely and not to let any strangers inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    they can take stuff in order to secure a payment and return at the end or sell them at auction which is where i wait to buy the right stuff for me to sell
    Debt collectors cannot come and take anything. You are mistaking them for bailiffs and only after the matter has gone to court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Tell everyone in the house to lock doors and windows securely and not to let any strangers inside.
    You would think that any adult would not need telling this as a matter of pure common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    You would think that any adult would not need telling this as a matter of pure common sense.
    Re locks, I didn't just mean when everyone's out. Re strangers, people let all sorts of strangers into their house - plumbers, police etc. There is nothing to prevent debt collectors from presenting themselves as such to try to gain entry.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    OP - you need to get legal advice on this. CAB should be able to either give you advice or point you in the direct of someone who can.
    Ive already done that and linked them to the relevant bit of CAB and Stepchange.
    The debt isnt theirs,its no different from something like you going over your overdraft. All non payment letters will threaten debt collectors to scare the person.

Nothing to do with the OP. the only risk is for bills relating o the tenancy if they are joint and severally liable, but that just requires reading the ageement.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Re locks, I didn't just mean when everyone's out. Re strangers, people let all sorts of strangers into their house - plumbers, police etc. There is nothing to prevent debt collectors from presenting themselves as such to try to gain entry.
    You just ask them for their id. Its debt collectors we are talking about not secret agents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You just ask them for their id. Its debt collectors we are talking about not secret agents.
    Correct, but we don't know what kind of idiots OP may live with. Or, rather, we do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.