Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA AS Psychology and I seem to have trouble with the essays? I'm losing a lot of marks because I can outline and describe studies but I have no idea how to evaluate? I did a mock the other day and it included a 12 essay on evaluating social learning theory as an explanation of attachment and my "evaluation" was giving supporting and contradicting studies but apparently I focused too much on that until my teacher said I lost focus on the whole question.

So, what I'm asking is how do I evaluate on psychology essays? For example, if I did an essay on evaluating Asch and Zimbardo exp. Do I look at strengths and weaknesses of the experiments I'm talking about (e.g. ecological validity and generalisability) and then add contradicting/supporting evidence from other studies? Or do I not mention contradicting/supporting studies at all and just focus on the points about the actual experiments?

Not sure if this makes sense, I'm sorry if it doesn't I just can't seem to word my frustration properly...
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starmilk)
    I do AQA AS Psychology and I seem to have trouble with the essays? I'm losing a lot of marks because I can outline and describe studies but I have no idea how to evaluate? I did a mock the other day and it included a 12 essay on evaluating social learning theory as an explanation of attachment and my "evaluation" was giving supporting and contradicting studies but apparently I focused too much on that until my teacher said I lost focus on the whole question.

So, what I'm asking is how do I evaluate on psychology essays? For example, if I did an essay on evaluating Asch and Zimbardo exp. Do I look at strengths and weaknesses of the experiments I'm talking about (e.g. ecological validity and generalisability) and then add contradicting/supporting evidence from other studies? Or do I not mention contradicting/supporting studies at all and just focus on the points about the actual experiments?

Not sure if this makes sense, I'm sorry if it doesn't I just can't seem to word my frustration properly...
    Thanks!!
    What my teachers have taught me to do is just PEEL paragraphs (which seems pretty dumb since they're so basic but they work so well!)

So for Zimbardo one PEEL would be:
    P - Supposed lack of realism
    E - Banuazizi and Mohavedi argued participants were play-acting, not participating and relied on stereotypes. This was shown through the Cool Hand Luke character portrayal and explains why prisoners rioted.
    E - Zimbardo disagreed and pointed out 90% of prisoners' conversations were about prison life. Prisoner 416 expressed the opinion it seemed like a real prison, just run by psychologists instead of the government.
    L - The situation therefore seemed real to participants, so has high internal validity

It's always best to give research to back up evaluation where possible but don't focus hugely on the details, and remember to relate back to the experiment! I hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.