Turn on thread page Beta

Essentially I go through a few months of every year with what, in hindsight, seem to be like paranoid delusions (e.g. thinking people are following me in the street) and some of these don't really ever go away outside of these times (like thinking I'm being watched for example).

I *think* I *may* also have had some hallucinatory experiences, for example seeing figures walk by the windows/ doorway, hearing people calling my name, muffled conversations in other rooms, the doorbell ringing (when nobody else is in the house and there is nobody outside). This has been going on for a few years now, maybe five or six years since it started.

Although these things never go away, they do tend to get worse- scarier and more believable- for a few periods each of around three or four weeks every year, coinciding with mood swings (when I have more energy than usual).

What could be causing this/ what should I do? When I think about it seems a bit strange or worrying but I think I might be overreacting, maybe everybody feels this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Essentially I go through a few months of every year with what, in hindsight, seem to be like paranoid delusions (e.g. thinking people are following me in the street) and some of these don't really ever go away outside of these times (like thinking I'm being watched for example).

I *think* I *may* also have had some hallucinatory experiences, for example seeing figures walk by the windows/ doorway, hearing people calling my name, muffled conversations in other rooms, the doorbell ringing (when nobody else is in the house and there is nobody outside). This has been going on for a few years now, maybe five or six years since it started.

Although these things never go away, they do tend to get worse- scarier and more believable- for a few periods each of around three or four weeks every year, coinciding with mood swings (when I have more energy than usual).

What could be causing this/ what should I do? When I think about it seems a bit strange or worrying but I think I might be overreacting, maybe everybody feels this way.
    although noone here can diagnose you, it sounds like you MAY suffer form paranoid delusions (people following you and stuff)
    i suffer from it myself, i spoke to my GP and they got a mental health assessment organised for me, which resulted in my diagnosis of paranoia.
    i have JUST come off antipsychotics which i was on for just over a year, but as i hadnt suffered any delusions for a while with my drs permission i came off it, and so far not had any delusions since!

ReputationRep:

I've had similar issues in the past - especially the 'noises'. They were caused by stress I believe.

:iiam:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    ================================ ===============> GP
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Psychos...roduction.aspx

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

ReputationRep:
    its actually very unlikely to be psychosis
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    its actually very unlikely to be psychosis
    No idea, thats the link that came up for delusions and they come under psychosis. The key is he goes o his GP and gets a proper diagnosis. He cna talk to mind and they cna advise him on his situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No idea, thats the link that came up for delusions and they come under psychosis. The key is he goes o his GP and gets a proper diagnosis. He cna talk to mind and they cna advise him on his situation.
    ofcourse they should go to the GP, and speak to them, before going for a mental health assessment, where i diagnosis would be discussed.

ReputationRep:
    paranoid schizophrenia?
    my old best mate had this and it got to the point he was in morissons up the alcohol isle and thought a guy was gonna attack him (hed just picked a bottle up of the shelf) and my friend attacked him, thinking he was just defending himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    paranoid schizophrenia?
    my old best mate had this and it got to the point he was in morissons up the alcohol isle and thought a guy was gonna attack him (hed just picked a bottle up of the shelf) and my friend attacked him, thinking he was just defending himself.
    That's really sad for everyone involved

How did you handle it/what happened in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    That's really sad for everyone involved

How did you handle it/what happened in the end?
    yea i know
    he got sectioned under mental health

ReputationRep:
    yea i know
    he got sectioned under mental health
    Ah dear :/
    Hope he got a bit more stable at some point!

ReputationRep:
    Ah dear :/
    Hope he got a bit more stable at some point!
    yea it seems to have stabilised him but iv not seen him since he got sectioned :'(

sounds like a sign of psychosis. have you been using any medication / weed (weed causes a 50-fold increase in psychotic episodes). get it checked out by a (competent) psychiatrist. also keep an eye out on other symptoms (dehydration can cause hallucinations / temporary psychosis, as can being overheated).

ReputationRep:
    yea it seems to have stabilised him but iv not seen him since he got sectioned :'(
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a sign of psychosis. have you been using any medication / weed (weed causes a 50-fold increase in psychotic episodes). get it checked out by a (competent) psychiatrist. also keep an eye out on other symptoms (dehydration can cause hallucinations / temporary psychosis, as can being overheated).
    Please quote the research that states weed does that.

I have been reading a little over the last few days and I'm wondering- does this sound anything like schizoaffective disorder?

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading a little over the last few days and I'm wondering- does this sound anything like schizoaffective disorder?
    noone can say but a MH professional.

i was suffering from paranoid delusions on and off for about 6 or 7 years, and i read up and convinced myself it was psychosis, i spoke to my dr who sorted out a MH assessment, and they diagnosed me with paranoia,

so try not to read up as most likely it wont be anywhere near as bad as you read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    noone can say but a MH professional.

i was suffering from paranoid delusions on and off for about 6 or 7 years, and i read up and convinced myself it was psychosis, i spoke to my dr who sorted out a MH assessment, and they diagnosed me with paranoia,

so try not to read up as most likely it wont be anywhere near as bad as you read
    Isn't paranoia just a symptom? Or is it a stand alone diagnosis?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't paranoia just a symptom? Or is it a stand alone diagnosis?
    paranoia is my stand alone diagnosis, paranoia is a symptom of psychosis and other psychotic illnesses, but they decided that i didnt fit into a psychosis diagnosis as i was just suffering from paranoid delusions, i was however given an anti psychotic which helped with my delusions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.