Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightybis0n)
    Well you'd be wrong on at least one account.

Doesn't compare to the slaughter of innocents by Islamic terrorists. Nor is it as frequent.
    Considering the Iraq war alone has been responsible for more deaths than all the attacks by 'Islamic' terrorists in the last decade combined, I would hold my position.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a white christian, am I part of the KKK? No freaking way!!!!!!!! People need to assess their own backgrounds and stereotypes before stereotyping others

(Original post by elforjg02)
    Does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    Considering the Iraq war alone has been responsible for more deaths than all the attacks by 'Islamic' terrorists in the last decade combined, I would hold my position.
    I was against the Iraq war, but you can't compare it to the atrocities committed by terrorists.

Civilians (and European troops) died in a tumultous war zone. Muslim terrorists attack people they know are innocent.

ReputationRep:
    It depends do you have links to Saudi Arabia?

ReputationRep:
    I was against the Iraq war, but you can't compare it to the atrocities committed by terrorists.

Civilians (and European troops) died in a tumultous war zone. Muslim terrorists attack people they know are innocent.
    Have you seriously never seen documentaries, reports, interviews by former soldiers etc who said that there were numerous cases where they purposefully shelled buildings and gunned down civilians that they knew were innocent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    I guess the Bible praises homosexuals then, does it?
    Why do you assume I'd defend the bible? It's another pretty horrible book to live your life by, although it has the redeeming feature of the Gospels.
    That irrelevant though.

The point is thar I don't believe that CURRENTLY anywhere near a majority of Christians think gays and apostates should die. Prove me wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Why do you assume I'd defend the bible? It's another pretty horrible book to live your life by, although it has the redeeming feature of the Gospels.
    That irrelevant though.

The point is thar I don't believe that CURRENTLY anywhere near a majority of Christians think gays and apostates should die. Prove me wrong though.

“If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. ...
    Deuteronomy 13:6-11

ReputationRep:
    “If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. ...
    The English in the Bible is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    That just shows that the bible supports it (or specifically, certain people in the bible), not that the majority of (or even any) Christians do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    That just shows that the bible supports it (or specifically, certain people in the bible), not that the majority of (or even any) Christians do.
    prove it...

ReputationRep:
    prove it...
    Christianity isn't defined by the Bible. The bible is a collection of religious scripture compiled to help understand the religion, but not a definition of the beliefs or positions of the church. The official positions of Christianity are defined by the various churches (Catholicism by the Pop for example).

The individuals beliefs of individual Christians are then made independently (just like everyone else), and may not coincide with what's written in the Bible.

Not to mention the passage contains no statistics or comments on what individual Christians believe.

ReputationRep:
    Of course technically they're Muslims, but what they do is against the teachings of Islam. That's why some call them 'non-Muslims'. The majority of Islamic scholars, for example, argue that Muslims who don't pray 5 times a day are not Muslims and consider them apostates. So it isn't enough to simply declare you're a Muslim to actually be a Muslim or be considered one by others.
    Therein lies the problem. The idea of what constitutes being a Muslim should not be an ambiguous idea.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a bit dim? How clear do I have to be for you to understand this? I'm not denying the bible supports killing gays and apostates, I'm doubting that half of Christians do.

prove it...

Why don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Therein lies the problem. The idea of what constitutes being a Muslim should not be an ambiguous idea.
    It isn't ambiguous at all.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't ambiguous at all.
    There is no clear definition of what is a Muslim. Is it a follower of the teachings of the Qur'an? Is it a Sunni or a Shia? What is the 'true' version of Islam? Although a dictionary may say it's a follower of Islam, this is a highly ambiguous statement.

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rorist_attacks

Well it's not is it, given that vast majority of terrorists ARE muslim.

Can you name me a group of Western terrorists besides the IRA that have caused so much death over the past few years?
    How about the englishand american armies? You know given that we throw bnombs on syria, afganistan and iraq not to mention we also fund the state of israel. And we thwn deny exit to refugees and bully them at our borders, letting them starve and die. Oh and what actually caused all theze groups such as isis and al quaeda? Oy yeah our invasion in the middle east.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieBarlow87)
    How about the englishand american armies? You know given that we throw bnombs on syria, afganistan and iraq not to mention we also fund the state of israel. And we thwn deny exit to refugees and bully them at our borders, letting them starve and die. Oh and what actually caused all theze groups such as isis and al quaeda? Oy yeah our invasion in the middle east.
    Simply suggesting that 'our funding of Israel and bombing the Middle East caused ISIS and Al'Qaeda' is far too simplistic a description of what is a complex situation. Granted these have a role to play in the instability in the region, equally important is the idea of local rivalries and sectarian violence that has caused the vacuum we see today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.