Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a mature student - I'll be 30 in 2017.

I have struggled to find a Chemistry A-level course in my area, and due to necessary practical part of this course I was unable to do distance learning.

In 2014 I began Psychology and Human Biology. Which will be completed this year with an expected A/A* in both, My college said that Chemistry would be on this academic year (2015/2016) and I was going to complete Chemistry A-level in one year, as they assured me I could. At the last minute in September 2015, Chemistry was dropped due to lack of interest and because due to Government changes/worries about the budget they didn't want to put it on with only a few students.

But, they are putting Chemistry on 2016/2017 academic year. Hopefully.

I emailed Hull/York (which is my nearest place to study as I live near Hull), and they have said unequivocally that they will *not* accept A-levels taken over 3-years. But, I want to start a medicine degree in 2017, I don't want to wait any longer.

As well as my A-levels I've been volunteering at the local hospital, and I did an EPQ.

So - what else can I do? Perhaps do some Open University courses? I live near Hull - so are there any courses I could do in my area?

Has anyone managed to go on to do medicine after A-levels took 3-years?

Please help. I feel like my ambition has crumbled around me after the email from Hull/York.

ReputationRep:
    Take an access to medicine course. Lol. A lot less hassle and will provide you with the same stepping-stone into Medicine. As opposed to having to go through external exam centres and finding the ones that do your A-levels.

Medicine is incredibly competitive so you either have to do all your A-levels in one year, or do an access course.

Or go through GEM, but who knows if that will even be around! Not to mention it's even more competitive. So that's a final resort.

Hydeman right?

ReputationRep:
    I think I just had my heart set on Hull/York as it is the nearest. But, I agree that I think I need to look towards a foundation/access course - I'd still need Chemistry though, I assume?

My problem is, that my nearest access course is 2+ hours away (I'd be looking at Sheffield or Durham), and that would mean that I would need to organize childcare or my partner would have to work less hours - which I'm okay with, as I'd have to do that when studying for a degree. I do not have any family to support me or help me with childcare, at all. Although we did look at moving too. Do you still get the same financial support when doing the foundation/access course, as you would throughout the degree?

Nearest GEM is 3+ hours away. Which is Newcastle. And I'm near Hull.

Thank-you for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at Student Finance, and I think I've answered my question.

Just hope my college puts on Chemistry next-year.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.