Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-35893123

Before you click... guess the religion.

ReputationRep:
    Just think how silly he'll feel when he realises it was a false flag by Mossad and Bush!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Guys obviously he isn't a real Muslim

ReputationRep:
    Guessed it right!

ReputationRep:
    Guessed it right

ReputationRep:
    This man is a US/UK informant trying to smear the name of Islam. He is not Muslim and never truly was, end of discussion

ReputationRep:
    Guys, belief is personal, and the names we give to groups of believers reflect us as individuals, this weirdo does not speak for the whole Muslim community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Guys, belief is personal, and the names we give to groups of believers reflect us as individuals, this weirdo does not speak for the whole Muslim community.
    It's not exactly an isolated story though, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    It's not exactly an isolated story though, is it?
    I'm sure if the media actually balanced these stories with the stories of the many good things Muslims do, or alternatively stopped treating Islam as a religion completely removed from any other religion (where you would certainly find similar stories), you would see that the actions of an individual so not always reflect their religious beliefs and if people took the time to speak to true followers of these religions, they'd be able to see past the supposed 'evil' of the belief and see that things like these instances spend on the individual

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if the media actually balanced these stories with the stories of the many good things Muslims do,
    Yes, and the media can also report whenever buses manage to reach their destination, when paramedics manage to help someone, or when someone gives their grandma a present.

or alternatively stopped treating Islam as a religion completely removed from any other religion (where you would certainly find similar stories),
    Urm, don't think anyone does that other than some on the regressive-left actually. It's only people on the regressive-left who seem to want to give Islam special privileges. They never made a word for "Christianophobia" or "Hinduphobia". They only ever came up with "antisemitism" and "Islamophobia", and antisemitism is more about prejudice against people for belonging to a certain lineage (something which they can't change), rather than being about criticism of people for following a particular ideology. No other ideology has the privilege that being criticized or insulted for following it is considered politically unacceptable, and may even be considered as illegal hate speech.

you would see that the actions of an individual so not always reflect their religious beliefs and if people took the time to speak to true followers of these religions, they'd be able to see past the supposed 'evil' of the belief and see that things like these instances spend on the individual
    Define "true follower", with something that doesn't just boil down to "I think they're nice". I've spoken to Muslims a lot. Most of the are nice and mind their own business, but if you start getting to know them I find at least half of them do often harbor an array of pretty horrible views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Yes, and the media can also report whenever buses manage to reach their destination, when paramedics manage to help someone, or when someone gives their grandma a present.

Urm, don't think anyone does that other than some on the regressive-left actually. It's only people on the regressive-left who seem to want to give Islam special privileges. They never made a word for "Christianophobia" or "Hinduphobia". They only ever came up with "antisemitism" and "Islamophobia", and antisemitism is more about prejudice against people belonging to a certain lineage, rather than being about criticism of people for following a particular ideology. No other ideology has the privilege that being criticized or insulted for following it is considered politically unacceptable, and may even be considered as illegal hate speech.

Define "true follower", with something that doesn't just boil down to "I think they're nice". I've spoken to Muslims a lot. Most of the are nice and mind their own business, but I find they do often harbor pretty horrible views if you start getting to know them.
    If it can't boil down to 'I think they're nice' why does it always boil down to 'I think they're evil'? All I'm saying is that every religion, every belief has things that should be ignored, not taken seriously and these beliefs are meant to evolve over time to suit society, plus I'm sure f the public actually looked into every religion as much as they did for Islam, they would certainly find things the didn't like. I'm not about to get into a huge argument about this and you're entitled to your opinon, but from growing up around good Muslim people and doing some research into different religion, I definitely don't think Islamophobia can be justified.

ReputationRep:
    Come on Guys if you can play No true Scotsman card on the religious leader at Scotland's biggest mosque then there can be no True Moslem

But guessed it was a follower of the Religion of Peace (tm)

ReputationRep:
    If it can't boil down to 'I think they're nice' why does it always boil down to 'I think they're evil'? All I'm saying is that every religion, every belief has things that should be ignored, not taken seriously and these beliefs are meant to evolve over time to **** society, plus I'm sure f the public actually looked into every religion as much as they did for Islam, they would certainly find things the didn't like. I'm not about to get into a huge argument about this and you're entitled to your opinon, but from growing up around good Muslim people and doing some research into different religion, I definitely don't think Islamophobia can be justified.
    Yeh, well obviously what Islam needs is reform. The whole problem is that it seems particularly resistant against reforming, and has become more so over the past 40yrs with many Islamic countries becoming increasingly conservative.

ReputationRep:
    Deport him.

I'll do it myself if he isn't.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.