Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 years old and mostly I'm only out of the house for work or college, after last august I hadn't been out for nearly six months till I sat my mum down and had another chat with her about how I need to be social and how not being isn't good for me and is affecting me. I was let out two weeks ago for the first time, there were issues trying to get my mum to agree and I really had to push for it. I'm just unsure what to do now as since then she's gone back to telling me no or using the "you have work" excuse. I really hate feeling left out of everything because my mum just always says no to me wanting a life. I have a boyfriend who just to make sure I get to see him out of college I'll say I've missed the bus on the half day we have and go to his for a couple of hours just to spend time with him, because I'm lucky if I get to see him on weekends a couple times a month. We're going to Edinburgh on Sunday to visit family as I have booked the time off work, I've asked my best friends mum, who is my mums best friend to have a chat with her to start encouraging me to go out, but the problem here is apparently she's already told her she needs to let go a bit more as I'm growing up and that she can't keep me in all the time. Now I know there's a possibility of it being because she's lonely since my dad left last year, and it is plausible, but its always been a struggle trying to get out the house to see friends. I honestly no longer know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    You're 18, she doesn't control you, I would say try to reason with her and tell her that you need a social life but if she hasn't listened when you told her in the past, just do your own thing

ReputationRep:
    There's an issue with me just getting up and leaving to do my own thing, it makes me feel really bad, friends say it's emotional abuse etc

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should talk to her and explain that it is driving you insane also you are 18 you could consider moving out maybe talking to her about it might make her lighten up on you.

ReputationRep:
    Bad parenting, old enough to make own decisions, tell her to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMix)
    Maybe you should talk to her and explain that it is driving you insane also you are 18 you could consider moving out maybe talking to her about it might make her lighten up on you.
    had a chat with her twice now, someone else has also spoken with her and are doing so again soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebekah_Stone)
    had a chat with her twice now, someone else has also spoken with her and are doing so again soon.
    Have you asked her why she douse not let you go out maybe she has a reason for it. R u thinking of going Uni, if you are then talk to her about maybe having to move out and that when u go to Uni u would need to be independent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.