Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is a greater threat to society, Islam or Islamophobia? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which is a greater threat?
    Islam
    57.94%
    Islamophobia
    30.84%
    Both
    11.21%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    So, their retaliation after the twin 9/11 shows their foreign policy to bomb places because they don't agree with them?

Thought so.

Sorry for thinking of ISIS when someone refers to "Islam" and "terrorist acts" - what correlation would these two have anyway?

(That is the post you replied too. Instead of telling me to improve my reading comprehension, I think you should focus on your memory.)
    Wait... you think the USA started using bombs because of 9/11? Ok then...

I replied to a post arguing that Islam wasn't a religion of peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Wait... you think the USA started using bombs because of 9/11? Ok then...

I replied to a post arguing that Islam wasn't a religion of peace.
    Sorry to not fall for conspiracy theories... if you'd want to change my opinion, feel free enlighten me instead of replying with one sentence doing nothing but being condescending.

Yes, saying that it is not different to the USA.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sorry to not fall for conspiracy theories... if you'd want to change my opinion, feel free enlighten me instead of replying with one sentence doing nothing but being condescending.

Yes, saying that it is not different to the USA.
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I didn't mean that the War on Terror was triggered by more than just 9/11 I meant that the USA has consistently used military force for ideological purposes since WW2. I wasn't even talking about the fight against Islamic extremism. Does Nicaragua ring any bells?

ReputationRep:
    Ok misread the OP

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I didn't mean that the War on Terror was triggered by more than just 9/11 I meant that the USA has consistently used military force for ideological purposes since WW2. I wasn't even talking about the fight against Islamic extremism. Does Nicaragua ring any bells?
    Sure, that means they have a 'foreign policy of bombing others'. Lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dara Dahl)
    Or both?

(Off-shoot from the "Islamophobia is the greatest threat to society" thread)
    I think society is it's own biggest threat if you ask me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sure, that means they have a 'foreign policy of bombing others'. Lol...
    Also Kuwait, pre-9/11 Iraq, El Salvador, Bosnia, Somalia, Libya, Lebanon, Cambodia...

But sure it was a glib statement. A bit like...

That's what you call religion of peace? "Do what we say or get bombed"?

Lol.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    :zomg:

Or did you seriously not I realise I was mocking you?

ReputationRep:
    I wish i could vote more than once so I could vote for Islam 5000000000 times

ReputationRep:
    Also Kuwait, pre-9/11 Iraq, El Salvador, Bosnia, Somalia, Libya, Lebanon, Cambodia...

But sure it was a glib statement. A bit like...
    Sure sure... that means that America, just because it disagrees, has a foreign policy to bomb places.

I seriously laughed a lot over you. These 'explanations' are superb - for 5 yr olds, that is.

Or did you seriously not I realise I was mocking you?
    This card... it never gets old. Just accept the idiocy and be done with it. No need to divert it now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sure sure... that means that America, just because it disagrees, has a foreign policy to bomb places.

I seriously laughed a lot over you. These 'explanations' are superb - for 5 yr olds, that is.

This card... it never gets old. Just accept the idiocy and be done with it. No need to divert it now.
    Uhmmm... yes it does. America uses military force (predominantly bombing) against governments and regimes that it has ideological differences with (i.e. 'disagrees' ). 'Islam' doesn't do that.

You don't seem to have a coherent train of thought. "Don't divert the idiocy"? Pull yourself together.

ReputationRep:
    Uhmmm... yes it does. America uses military force (predominantly bombing) against governments and regimes that it has ideological differences with (i.e. 'disagrees' ). 'Islam' doesn't do that.

You don't seem to have a coherent train of thought. "Don't divert the idiocy"? Pull yourself together.
    Ignoring your pathetic delirium at hand, Islam doesn't do that because it's an ideology - did you seriously just use this argument? Or are you going to argue that ISIS, Al'Qaeda or whatever do not fall under the umbrella of Islam? Are they not true Muslims?

So yes, don't divert your idiocy to what you think is an argument.

[PS: So much for the mocking lol... what an easy target you are]
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ignoring your pathetic delirium at hand, Islam doesn't do that because it's an ideology - did you seriously just use this argument? Or are you going to argue that ISIS, Al'Qaeda or whatever do not fall under the umbrella of Islam? Are they not true Muslims?

So yes, don't divert your idiocy to what you think is an argument.

[PS: So much for the mocking lol... what an easy target you are]
    Pathetic delirium? I see now you've decided to step up the aggression.

Use what argument? There's nothing to argue over. Why don't you try (I know you struggle) to string your words into a defensible conclusion and I'll happily tell you why you're wrong.

Ohhh I get it you're just trolling me. Well don't I feel silly. And there was me thinking you were actually an idiot. I now see you're a well-adjusted, enlightened individual who would never make such a ridiculous and offensive assertion about a major religion unless it was in jest. You got me, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic delirium? I see now you've decided to step up the aggression.

Use what argument? There's nothing to argue over. Why don't you try (I know you struggle) to string your words into a defensible conclusion and I'll happily tell you why you're wrong.
    Because it is evident you cannot argue, let me tell you this: you made a proposition, in reply to what I originally said. The one who actually has to make a defensible conclusion is you, and then I will tell you my thoughts on it. When you reply with single-sentence crap, be prepared to explain. People aren't mind readers, and the "self-explanatory" excuse is just that, an excuse.

You should also try to control the superiority complex - no you're not right at everything (in fact, it's the opposite from what I'm seeing here).

Ohhh I get it you're just trolling me. Well don't I feel silly. And there was me thinking you were actually an idiot. I now see you're a well-adjusted, enlightened individual who would never make such a ridiculous and offensive assertion about a major religion unless it was in jest. You got me, my bad.
    Oh my goodness. Hahaha... look who's struggling with reading comprehension.

I was referring to what YOU said about mocking me - not that you are an easy target to mock. Perhaps intelligence isn't your forte, at all.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Because it is evident you cannot argue, let me tell you this: you made a proposition, in reply to what I originally said. The one who actually has to make a defensible conclusion is you, and then I will tell you my thoughts on it. When you reply with single-sentence crap, be prepared to explain. People aren't mind readers, and the "self-explanatory" excuse is just that, an excuse.

You should also try to control the superiority complex - no you're not right at everything (in fact, it's the opposite from what I'm seeing here).

Oh my goodness. Hahaha... look who's struggling with reading comprehension.

I was referring to what YOU said about mocking me - not that you are an easy target to mock. Perhaps intelligence isn't your forte, at all.
    It is laughable and actually quite mischievous that you think my reply needs to be defended but your original assertion can stand alone.

That 'single-sentence crap' is called a one-liner. But when your up against such thoughtful geopolitical and social analyses like [ That's what you call religion of peace? "Do what we say or get bombed"? ] I guess one must hold themselves to high standards.

My first reply was jokingly mocking how glib your statement was with an equally glib (but vastly more easily defensible) critique of the USA. Then because you said I was an 'easy target' I pretending that you were trolling me. It's called sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    It is laughable and actually quite mischievous that you think my reply needs to be defended but your original assertion can stand alone.
    Did I say such a thing? If you believe it cannot stand alone, feel free to criticise it. I know that for you criticism is very likely to be talking unsubstantiated crap over a single sentence, but that's definitely not it.

That 'single-sentence crap' is called a one-liner.
    And your point is...?

But when your up against such thoughtful geopolitical and social analyses like [ That's what you call religion of peace? "Do what we say or get bombed"? ] I guess one must hold themselves to high standards.
    The other poster said, "Islamophobia will only give rise to further terrorist acts", meaning that if we make Muslims feel isolate, they will start doing what ISIS does".

To which I replied, for a religion so called the religion of peace, is that what you call "religion of peace?". That was based entirely on what he said.

Please employ your brain before spurring incoherency.

My first reply was jokingly mocking how glib your statement was with an equally glib (but vastly more easily defensible) critique of the USA. Then because you said I was an 'easy target' I pretending that you were trolling me. It's called sarcasm.
    No, it's not called sarcasm. You try to evade your failure to understand what's going by supposedly using mockery, sarcasm and whatnot. Well, that doesn't work (and you should know it).

It could qualify as sarcasm HAD I actually trolled you. I didn't. You simply failed miserably and didn't understand what I said. It's okay to admit you're wrong, don't worry.

And yes, saying America has a 'foreign policy' (emphasis because you still haven't realised the previous ones) to bomb those it disagrees with makes more sense than saying Islam is not the religion of peace everyone makes it to be.

You need to understand that if a religion is not peaceful, it does not mean all its adherents aren't either. Got it, finally?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Did I say such a thing? If you believe it cannot stand alone, feel free to criticise it. I know that for you criticism is very likely to be talking unsubstantiated crap over a single sentence, but that's definitely not it.

And your point is...?

The other poster said, "Islamophobia will only give rise to further terrorist acts", meaning that if we make Muslims feel isolate, they will start doing what ISIS does".

To which I replied, for a religion so called the religion of peace, is that what you call "religion of peace?". That was based entirely on what he said.

Please employ your brain before spurring incoherency.

No, it's not called sarcasm. You try to evade your failure to understand what's going by supposedly using mockery, sarcasm and whatnot. Well, that doesn't work (and you should know it).

It could qualify as sarcasm HAD I actually trolled you. I didn't. You simply failed miserably and didn't understand what I said. It's okay to admit you're wrong, don't worry.

And yes, saying America has a 'foreign policy' (emphasis because you still haven't realised the previous ones) to bomb those it disagrees with makes more sense than saying Islam is not the religion of peace everyone makes it to be.

You need to understand that if a religion is not peaceful, it does not mean all its adherents aren't either. Got it, finally?
    Rather than criticise it I chose to point out Western hypocrisy.

My point is that a long paragraph would have robbed it of it's rhetoric effect.

What the other poster said doesn't make your statement any more spurious.

That doesn't make any sense at all. *sigh* If you had been trolling me then it wouldn't have been sarcasm. Because I would have been being serious.

And if there was some misunderstanding then it was because you expressed yourself ineloquently. I personally have no idea what you think I missed. Some argumentative gem perhaps?

But it's the adherents (e.g. ISIS) that aren't peaceful, not the mainstream religion. And harkening back to the poster you replied to - if ordinary Muslims retaliated to being oppressed due to the actions of terrorists then the subsequent violence would not be the result of Islam not being a peaceful religion but rather the natural human response to being discriminated against and oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than criticise it I chose to point out Western hypocrisy.

My point is that I long paragraph would have robbed it of it's rhetoric effect.

What the other poster said doesn't make your statement any more spurious.
    So, even if what you say is entirely true, that makes what he said or what ISIS does okay?

What a freakin' psycho.

That doesn't make any sense at all. *sigh* If you had been trolling me then it wouldn't have been sarcasm. Because I would have been being serious.
    Sarcasm cannot be used against something that the other person did not say or imply - it's about manipulating words to make it seem as if you're mocking the other person precisely for what he or she said.. Considering I did not in fact troll you, or tried to for that matter, your self-proclaimed "sarcasm" bares no use, at all.

And if there was some misunderstanding then it was because you expressed yourself ineloquently. I personally have no idea what you think I missed. Some argumentative gem perhaps?

But it's the adherents (e.g. ISIS) that aren't peaceful, not the mainstream religion. And harkening back to the poster you replied to - if ordinary Muslims retaliated to being oppressed due to the actions of terrorists then the subsequent violence would not be the result of Islam not being a peaceful religion but rather the natural human response to being discriminated against and oppressed.
    Firstly, as I said before, an ideology cannot, by definition, cause harm itself - I though that much was a given. That doesn't mean it does not lead to such harm. The Quran says that non-believers are worth nothing, and are as good as dead. That, in my opinion, qualifies it for the "non-peaceful" ideologies.

Whether adherents will do what is says is a different matter - that's why I mocked the other person's post.

Excuse me, what? When immigrant Muslims have raped girls and boys alike in Sweden, Germany and whatnot, you can't expect people to say "oh, it's fine - they are just individuals. Other immigrant Muslims will not do that - it's not like they are culturally different to us".

And let's be honest here - most Muslims discriminate DAILY. Homophobia, sexism, racism and whatnot. Don't play the innocence card.

ReputationRep:
    So, even if what you say is entirely true, that makes what he said or what ISIS does okay?

What a freakin' psycho.

Sarcasm cannot be used against something that the other person did not say or imply - it's about manipulating words to make it seem as if you're mocking the other person precisely for what he or she said.. Considering I did not in fact troll you, or tried to for that matter, your self-proclaimed "sarcasm" bares no use, at all.

Firstly, as I said before, an ideology cannot, by definition, cause harm itself - I though that much was a given. That doesn't mean it does not lead to such harm. The Quran says that non-believers are worth nothing, and are as good as dead. That, in my opinion, qualifies it for the "non-peaceful" ideologies.

Whether adherents will do what is says is a different matter - that's why I mocked the other person's post.

Excuse me, what? When immigrant Muslims have raped girls and boys alike in Sweden, Germany and whatnot, you can't expect people to say "oh, it's fine - they are just individuals. Other immigrant Muslims will not do that - it's not like they are culturally different to us".

And let's be honest here - most Muslims discriminate DAILY. Homophobia, sexism, racism and whatnot. Don't play the innocence card.
    You really need to stop, you are embarrassing yourself, and the person you arguing against has been more calm, rational, logical and correct than you consistently.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is a religion that has been around for centuries. There are currently over 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide (approximately). If Islam was a threat to society then everyone would be dead by now, bluntly speaking. Islam itself translates into "peace". The thing people don't understand is that true Muslims believe that "Islam is perfect. Muslims are not". People think that when Muslims make a mistake, it's because Islam told them to. This is wrong. Just like any other religion, there will be people who misinterpret the religion for their own nefarious gain. All of these terrorist groups such as Daesh that claim to be "fighting for Islam" have killed more Muslims than they have non-Muslims. This is statistically proven. Therefore, the greatest threat to society and humanity as a whole is Islamophobia, which threatens to exclude and istigate hatred towards the very true Muslims who condemn the violence of these groups. Instead of being Islamophobic, people should work with these good, honest Muslims who form the majority of the world's Muslim population, and help defeat this evil. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie S)
    You really need to stop, you are embarrassing yourself, and the person you arguing against has been more calm, rational, logical and correct than you consistently.
    If you want to criticise, feel free to elaborate. Otherwise, don't bother.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.