Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is a greater threat to society, Islam or Islamophobia? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which is a greater threat?
    Islam
    57.94%
    Islamophobia
    30.84%
    Both
    11.21%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It is irony. God, you're not asking me to explain the irony are you?

Valid point? How many times do I need to scream one-liner at you? It was, to quote that other guy a tongue-in-cheek post that was basically correct. You however have been trying to drag me into a protracted debate to defend an ugly post you made.

Well I did try to fob you off as my post was self-explanatory but noooooo.
    So, what you're trying to tell me is that all those posts you made were jokes and you were playing me.

:rofl: Whatever...

[Please do learn what a 'policy' is though... and irony.]
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    So, what you're trying to tell me is that all those posts you made were jokes and you were playing me.

:rofl: Whatever...

[Please do learn what a 'policy' is though... and irony.]
    No... the first post was. One-liners tend to have one line and not be dragged over several posts. The rest of them was me explaining it to you as you tried to throw more and more extraneous nonsense at me.

I obviously know what 'foreign policy', 'irony' and 'tongue-in-cheek' mean, hence my using the terms consistently correctly.

ReputationRep:
    No... the first post was. One-liners tend to have one line and not be dragged over several posts. The rest of them was me explaining it to you as you tried to throw more and more extraneous nonsense at me.

I obviously know what 'foreign policy', 'irony' and 'tongue-in-cheek' mean, hence my using the terms consistently correctly.
    Can you stop with this 'one-liner' joke already - I know it was a smarta*s comment to draw thumbs. This doesn't mean it was not crap as hell (as most things liked on TSR, that is).

You actually made a full argument out of it - stop pretending it was me dragging you and whatnot. You simply realised how idiotic it was, and are now trying to backtrack - it's simple, just accept it.

Policy: a course of action adopted and pursued by a government, ruler, political party. Unless you can show me legislation or data which implies that "bombing those who disagree with what we say" is a thing in the US, I'll take it that you don't know the meaning.

Irony, Merriam Webster: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny (unless you want to tell me that you actually meant the opposite of what you said in the first post).

So point sustained, learn the meanings.
    Cheerio.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Can you stop with this 'one-liner' joke already - I know it was a smarta*s comment to draw thumbs. This doesn't mean it was not crap as hell (as most things liked on TSR, that is).

You actually made a full argument out of it - stop pretending it was me dragging you and whatnot. You simply realised how idiotic it was, and are now trying to backtrack - it's simple, just accept it.

Policy: a course of action adopted and pursued by a government, ruler, political party. Unless you can show me legislation or data which implies that "bombing those who disagree with what we say" is a thing in the US, I'll take it that you don't know the meaning.

Irony, Merriam Webster: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny (unless you want to tell me that you actually meant the opposite of what you said in the first post).

So point sustained, learn the meanings.
    Cheerio.
    'Smartarse comment' being a synonym for one-liner I guess. :rolleyes: Which I'd take over smug and offensive anyday.

The 'full argument' was defending the correctness of the statement. You dragged me into a much more serious discussion than that reflected by my original post. I'm not backtracking from anything.

Foreign Policy: How a government deals with other nations (e.g. by bombing them)
    Your definition of policy doesn't mention legislation btw, it would be idiotic to argue that bombing wasn't a 'course of action' pursued by the US.

Christ are you being deliberately obtuse? My post pointed out that it was ironic that your words could be used to describe the US.

ReputationRep:
    'Smartarse comment' being a synonym for one-liner I guess. :rolleyes: Which I'd take over smug and offensive anyday.
    I'm so sorry that what I said, directly to the other poster's idiotic comment, was so offensive. I truly apologise. :rolleyes:

The 'full argument' was defending the correctness of the statement. You dragged me into a much more serious discussion than that reflected by my original post. I'm not backtracking from anything.
    Then your first point, despite being an one-liner, reflected your own, irrelevant, opinion. Coming exactly to my words.

Foreign Policy: How a government deals with other nations (e.g. by bombing them)
    Your definition of policy doesn't mention legislation btw, it would be idiotic to argue that bombing wasn't a 'course of action' pursued by the US.
    I find it hilarious that you pretend to know stuff about the Commons. You do realise Government policies require legislation and approval right? Oh my goodness...

Christ are you being deliberately obtuse? My post pointed out that it was ironic that your words could be used to describe the US.
    So, to summarise, you need to learn the meaning of irony. End of.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm so sorry that what I said, directly to the other poster's idiotic comment, was so offensive. I truly apologise. :rolleyes:

Then your first point, despite being an one-liner, reflected your own, irrelevant, opinion. Coming exactly to my words.

I find it hilarious that you pretend to know stuff about the Commons. You do realise Government policies require legislation and approval right? Oh my goodness...

So, to summarise, you need to learn the meaning of irony. End of.
    You know it was. Perhaps not to me personally but you know it was.

It reflected my valid opinion yes.

But they don't? Foreign policy is not conducted by passing laws. Neither is bombing.

You keep saying things like 'end of' because you're wrong. The post pointed out something ironic and that was the basis of the smartassery.

ReputationRep:
    You know it was. Perhaps not to me personally but you know it was.

It reflected my valid opinion yes.
    And what makes you think I give a crap?

It's also a bit hypocritical considering you called the American state bomb-loving and whatnot.

But they don't? Foreign policy is not conducted by passing laws. Neither is bombing.
    Are you actually being serious? You think participation to what many would call war-crimes is a thing governments can do without any legislative authority or approval?

You keep saying things like 'end of' because you're wrong. The post pointed out something ironic and that was the basis of the smartassery.
    It was not ironic - that's the end of. You can't twist something to make it fit your own definition. Seriously, just accept it and be done with it.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i think Islamaphobia is a threat. It's causing hate crimes, hate speech, and discrimination.. something the Western World always preaches about opposing. I don't believe 1 whole religion is to blame from the stupid misguided, deluded *******s that are terrorists. Islam and Christianity are pretty similar no matter how much we deny it. Things taken from the Quran are also written in the Bible but we don't scrutinise them! Most Muslims i've talked to are against and hate ISIS/AlQaeda and all terrorism. I mean Hitler, the KKK, people who do mass shootings (Scotland, Charleston), McVeigh.
    Even Guy Fawkes, who plotted to blowup HOP in London (which may not have been a bad thing) is celebrated every Nov. He was a terrorist. We pick and choose who to hate with the help of the media, because as a race we are stupid.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    And what makes you think I give a crap?

It's also a bit hypocritical considering you called the American state bomb-loving and whatnot.

Are you actually being serious? You think participation to what many would call war-crimes is a thing governments can do without any legislative authority or approval?

It was not ironic - that's the end of. You can't twist something to make it fit your own definition. Seriously, just accept it and be done with it.
    Lol at you not giving a crap. Ooooh.

I've constantly been saying that you made a glib comment and so I threw one back at you.

*sigh* Assuming that we're still talking about the US - Kosovo and Libya come to mind. And even if you were right (your wrong) that every foreign policy action of the US government was somehow 'legislative' (a ludicrous assertion) or 'approved' (that's rather broad so I'll assume you mean by Congress) that doesn't make any difference to anything I said before you started accusing me of not knowing what the phrase 'foreign policy' meant.

Yeah... but it was. Irony is about when something that is contrary to expectations is humorously. I find it ironic that we are are here criticising extremism when our great allies have a similar, attitude towards people they 'disagree' with (and I find it ridiculous that you think the degree of irony is important).

ReputationRep:
    Lol at you not giving a crap. Ooooh.

I've constantly been saying that you made a glib comment and so I threw one back at you.
    Well, I'm just being honest... ain't that good?

*sigh* Assuming that we're still talking about the US - Kosovo and Libya come to mind. And even if you were right (your wrong) that every foreign policy action of the US government was somehow 'legislative' (a ludicrous assertion) or 'approved' (that's rather broad so I'll assume you mean by Congress) that doesn't make any difference to anything I said before you started accusing me of not knowing what the phrase 'foreign policy' meant.
    Of course it does - you make it seem like it's policy to bomb countries which do not comply. Show me official data to back it up. That's all I'm asking.

And to think that it being legislative is a ludicrous assertions simply and plainly shows your ignorance. Legislation doesn't mean get the legislature's seal alone - lol.

Yeah... but it was. Irony is about when something that is contrary to expectations is humorously.
    Excuse me, what? I seriously didn't manage to go through this grammatically slaughtered sentence (without intending to be condescending).

I find it ironic that we are are here criticising extremism when our great allies have a similar, attitude towards people they 'disagree' with (and I find it ridiculous that you think the degree of irony is important).
    So you did indeed make that comparison in the end. Nice of you to finally state it clearly.

The word you're looking for is, anyhow, hypocritical - ironic is out of topic in that sentence.

Irony would be: "I just love eating greens" - "Yes, greens are seriously awesome", when in reality they hate it (and as such mean the opposite). Hope that made it clearer.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty explanatory... someone needs to learn.what an.explanation is.

The fact that you even think they're comparable to ISIS is astounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you serious? ISIS probably killed 20-30k (I still think they're *******s btw)

USA's Nagasaki and Hiroshima killed 200k+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Are you serious? ISIS probably killed 20-30k (I still think they're *******s btw)

USA's Nagasaki and Hiroshima killed 200k+.
    Comparing modern to historic events, which had completely different purposes... seriously people.

And that aside, this is still completely irrelevant to the thread, which is the point of the whole argument.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, I'm just being honest... ain't that good?

Of course it does - you make it seem like it's policy to bomb countries which do not comply. Show me official data to back it up. That's all I'm asking.

And to think that it being legislative is a ludicrous assertions simply and plainly shows your ignorance. Legislation doesn't mean get the legislature's seal alone - lol.

Excuse me, what? I seriously didn't manage to go through this grammatically slaughtered sentence (without intending to be condescending).

So you did indeed make that comparison in the end. Nice of you to finally state it clearly.

The word you're looking for is, anyhow, hypocritical - ironic is out of topic in that sentence.

Irony would be: "I just love eating greens" - "Yes, greens are seriously awesome", when in reality they hate it (and as such mean the opposite). Hope that made it clearer.
    It's obviously not 'official policy' in the sense that Mr Obama gets up on the podium and says 'Good Evening Americans, today we're not going to bomb people we don't agree with and God bless America.' But the USA have a history of military intervention for ideological motivations. Hence the tongue-in-cheek part.

Go google legislation.

I must be getting tired. Add a verb like 'used' before 'humorously'.

No it's not 'hypocritical' because it's not the US posting about how unpeaceful Islam is, it's you.

That is a godawful example. And whilst that would use irony (for sarcasm) that doesn't mean every example of irony follows that format. My statement was demonstrating that something was ironic. To do so one does not need to say things and mean the opposite, they can also point out a conflicting state of affairs as I did. e.g. Don't you think it's ironic that...

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously not 'official policy' in the sense that Mr Obama gets up on the podium and says 'Good Evening Americans, today we're not going to bomb people we don't agree with and God bless America.' But the USA have a history of military intervention for ideological motivations. Hence the tongue-in-cheek part.

Go google legislation.
    Hahahahahaha... I can't believe I'm reading this. I simply cannot believe it.

(I'm studying law, so I do know a few things myself).

I must be getting tired. Add a verb like 'used' before 'humorously'.

No it's not 'hypocritical' because it's not the US posting about how unpeaceful Islam is, it's you.
    So, is it hypocritical (
    I did not speak of the Western world but of Western hypocrisy.
    ) or is it not? Make up your mind.[/QUOTE]

And yes, when I asked you how America is relevant to the EU, you made them one by using "Western".

That is a godawful example. And whilst that would use irony (for sarcasm) that doesn't mean every example of irony follows that format. My statement was demonstrating that something was ironic. To do so one does not need to say things and mean the opposite, they can also point out a conflicting state of affairs as I did. e.g. Don't you think it's ironic that...
    Seriously, can you just accept you're wrong and be done with it? Seriously - you're dragging this out of proportion.

The only definition of irony is using words to convey the opposite meaning. I don't know what your school, uni or whoever told you to the contrary, but they're wrong. I am not gonna say anything else on this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hahahahahaha... I can't believe I'm reading this. I simply cannot believe it.

(I'm studying law, so I do know a few things myself).

So, is it hypocritical () or is it not? Make up your mind.

And yes, when I asked you how America is relevant to the EU, you made them one by using "Western".

Seriously, can you just accept you're wrong and be done with it? Seriously - you're dragging this out of proportion.

The only definition of irony is using words to convey the opposite meaning. I don't know what your school, uni or whoever told you to the contrary, but they're wrong. I am not gonna say anything else on this.
    That explains why you're preoccupied with minutiae and keep trying an failing to trip me up.

Depends what you mean by 'it'. The fact that the US have such an aggressive foreign policy is ironic given we condemn that mindset in our enemies. The fact that we do the condemning however is hypocritical.

I was pointing out irony. I don't see how you can't comprehend that. Situations can be ironic you know.

ReputationRep:
    That explains why you're preoccupied with minutiae and keep trying an failing to trip me up.

Depends what you mean by 'it'. The fact that the US have such an aggressive foreign policy is ironic given we condemn that mindset in our enemies. The fact that we do the condemning however is hypocritical.

I was pointing out irony. I don't see how you can't comprehend that. Situations can be ironic you know.
    I'm not trying nor failing for that matter - you're doing a great job yourself

I'm done explaining what irony is to you - wanna use it correctly, do so. Don't wanna use it correctly, I don't give a crap. Jeez some people are stubborn just for the sake of it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not trying nor failing for that matter - you're doing a great job yourself

I'm done explaining what irony is to you - wanna use it correctly, do so. Don't wanna use it correctly, I don't give a crap. Jeez some people are stubborn just for the sake of it.
    See I have two smiley faces, so my opinion is doubly valid.

And with that shocking realisation that situations can be ironic - thus, concludes our debate on irony. Twas an amusing diversion.

ReputationRep:
    See I have two smiley faces, so my opinion is doubly valid.

And with that shocking realisation that situations can be ironic - thus, concludes our debate on irony. Twas an amusing diversion.
    Take that

[Of course situations can be ironic, did I say the opposite? -Your use is still incorrect ]

Let it thus conclude. it was not amusing at all by the way.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Take that

[Of course situations can be ironic, did I say the opposite? -Your use is still incorrect ]

Let it thus conclude. it was not amusing at all by the way.
    Obviously I could post a heck of a lot more, but I can't be arsed.

It wasn't because said situation (our allies behave like our enemies) was ironic and I was pointing out the irony.

You realise we've managed to taper off into a series of posts that don't contain the words 'Islam', 'Muslim', 'ISIS', 'bombing', 'society' etc. over the course of a argument that's lasted for the better part of a day? That's what I like about TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I could post a heck of a lot more, but I can't be arsed.

It wasn't because said situation (our allies behave like our enemies) was ironic and I was pointing out the irony.

You realise we've managed to taper off into a series of posts that don't contain the words 'Islam', 'Muslim', 'ISIS', 'bombing', 'society' etc. over the course of a argument that's lasted for the better part of a day? That's what I like about TSR.
    I do realise, and it messed up the work that I had to do for my coursework. That's why I hate TSR, in its entirety.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.