Turn on thread page Beta

Should we be allowed to chose the gender of our babies watch

ReputationRep:
    Via fertility treatment?
    Its illegal to do so in the uk but its legal to travel abroad to get it done.
    This is usually done by celebs because they have the money to do it as it is expensive.
    Is it time to make it legal.

ReputationRep:
    people should just let nature take its course and do it the natural way. you can now do things such as choose eye colour and stuff. we're closer and close to creating test tube babies.

No

ReputationRep:
    why?
    be thankful what you are getting
    don't be thankless
    babies are after all babies
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No although I have some symnpathy for families that have say 5 girls and would like a boy. Dont know the current rules, but obviously people who wnat to aboid a serious genetic disorder that runs in a particular sex, then i think its fine. We say no to designer convenience babies though.

Off point

This story was interesting about the woman who tracked down her sperm donor and married him.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35890805

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    you can now do things such as choose eye colour and stuff. we're closer and close to creating test tube babies.
    I hear this argument all the time about why its wrong.
    "next step designer babies" etc but is this really a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, think of those families in China who want sons to help look after the fields and work for the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muslimstanisyed)
    I hear this argument all the time about why its wrong.
    "next step designer babies" etc but is this really a bad thing?
    bc if you believe in god then your going against his will if ygm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    Yeah but surely if you believe that it would be against gods will you just wouldn't participate? Shouldn't it be down to the individuals decision

ReputationRep:
    It defies nature/God which is a no no
    but on a different note, I mean if they want a boy, they want a boy
    if they want a girl, they want a girl, **** it
    I've thought about doing it
    I mean I really just want a boy and a girl, that's it.
    Why play Russian Roulette with the woman, sleeping with her all the time gambling till she pops out the gender I want
    All those kids meantime I lowkey resent because I didn't turn up lucky with the sex I wanted them to be :curious:
    avoid all of that
    that shouldn't mean not having anymore kids after you select
    Also not sure how healthy it is but if it's perfectly risk free why nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    The only thing you've ever said on here that makes some kind of sense

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    The idea of anyone choosing their baby's gender is hideous to me. I have a son and I don't particularly desire daughters but I'd never dream of choosing the gender of a baby even if the option was open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muslimstanisyed)
    Via fertility treatment?
    Its illegal to do so in the uk but its legal to travel abroad to get it done.
    This is usually done by celebs because they have the money to do it as it is expensive.
    Is it time to make it legal.
    If they can afford it then I don't see why not

ReputationRep:
    I see no problem with it. People should be able to design their babies, like they design the way they are brought up.

Slightly related, but do those that are full pro choice, do you belive it is acceptable to choose the sex of your baby, or abort based on their gender?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Only on the basis that having a baby of a certain gender is likely to have certain genetic diseases. otherwise, no.

People really should be grateful they can have babies in the first place. Some of us can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Only on the basis that having a baby of a certain gender is likely to have certain genetic diseases. otherwise, no.

People really should be grateful they can have babies in the first place. Some of us can't.
    aww im sorry about that

ReputationRep:
    I heard John Legend's wife, Chrissy Teigan, did that with her eggs. It sparked had mixed reactions. Some people thought she was sick, and some were like "meh". Don't most parents have a preferred gender?

The only difference is taking action and increasing the odds. Its nothing like selectively isolating genes to design the most perfect kid or anything on a computer.

Well in a society where men and women are regarded as equal, there really shouldn't be a problem (preferences in specific genders should even out to be 50:50)

But in other societies, it's the worst thing you can allow to happen... Then again, if a society doesn't want one particular gender because of backward ideas, maybe they do deserve to die out

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in imposing ethics. If someone wants to pay for it, let them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.