Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, we were doing some work in the lab on sheep RBCs and I have a few questions regarding my lab report. For one of the sections we have to draw a graph in Excel for NaCl concentration and absorbance. The results are as follows:
    NaCl conc Absorbance
    0 M 0.85
    0.05 M 0.94
    0.10 M 0.25
    0.15 M 0.06
    0.20 M 0
    Iso-osmotic NaCl 0.03

I have already made the graph (although I omitted the last result because I wasn't sure what iso-osm NaCl conc is). Now I am asked to mark the regions on the graphs where the solution is iso-osmotic, hypo-osmotic and hyper-osmotic to sheep RBC. Anyone has any suggestions how to do that? I have attached the table with the water and 1M NaCl added to each tube in case this data is needed.
    Name:  RBC q.PNG
Views: 45
Size:  2.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by answersseeker)
    Hi, we were doing some work in the lab on sheep RBCs and I have a few questions regarding my lab report. For one of the sections we have to draw a graph in Excel for NaCl concentration and absorbance. The results are as follows:
    NaCl conc Absorbance
    0 M 0.85
    0.05 M 0.94
    0.10 M 0.25
    0.15 M 0.06
    0.20 M 0
    Iso-osmotic NaCl 0.03

I have already made the graph (although I omitted the last result because I wasn't sure what iso-osm NaCl conc is). Now I am asked to mark the regions on the graphs where the solution is iso-osmotic, hypo-osmotic and hyper-osmotic to sheep RBC. Anyone has any suggestions how to do that? I have attached the table with the water and 1M NaCl added to each tube in case this data is needed.
    Name:  RBC q.PNG
Views: 45
Size:  2.6 KB
    I'm not really sure I understand your lab but I might be able to help:
    I think you need to get the normal osmotic potential of sheep RBC (or the range that is usually considered to be physiologically normal) and mark this on your graph, it is likely to be somewhere in the middle (plasma and 0.9% saline are considered isotonic).
    Once you have this range, all concentrations above this will be hyper-osmotic and anything below will be hypo-osmotic
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenrec)
    I'm not really sure I understand your lab but I might be able to help:
    I think you need to get the normal osmotic potential of sheep RBC (or the range that is usually considered to be physiologically normal) and mark this on your graph, it is likely to be somewhere in the middle (plasma and 0.9% saline are considered isotonic).
    Once you have this range, all concentrations above this will be hyper-osmotic and anything below will be hypo-osmotic
    Hope that helps
    Yes thank you that helps a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.