Intelligence. Watch

SageJiraiya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Alright! I've decided to do this thread on how intelligence works and how you can become smarter. To be honest, if this works it WILL change your perspective of many things for the better or maybe for the worse. I'll start of with a short story.

For 15 years of my life I considered myself as a 'slow learner'. I became quite intelligent when I was in year 7 or so but that was mainly due to my determination, I still had a closed mindset.

However, about 6 months ago my maths teacher showed us this video on this thing called a 'growth mindset'. After the video finished, I felt as if my mind had changed, I instantly became smarter due to my new understanding of the human brain works.

Remember this, NO ONE IS NATURALLY GOOD AT SOMETHING! They had to work hard at it, or they had the right mindset when learning it. Anyways, just remember that intelligence usnt something you inherit, its something you gqin as time goes on. Feel free to ask any questions!
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SageJiraiya)
Alright! I've decided to do this thread on how intelligence works and how you can become smarter. To be honest, if this works it WILL change your perspective of many things for the better or maybe for the worse. I'll start of with a short story.

For 15 years of my life I considered myself as a 'slow learner'. I became quite intelligent when I was in year 7 or so but that was mainly due to my determination, I still had a closed mindset.

However, about 6 months ago my maths teacher showed us this video on this thing called a 'growth mindset'. After the video finished, I felt as if my mind had changed, I instantly became smarter due to my new understanding of the human brain works.

Remember this, NO ONE IS NATURALLY GOOD AT SOMETHING! They had to work hard at it, or they had the right mindset when learning it. Anyways, just remember that intelligence usnt something you inherit, its something you gqin as time goes on. Feel free to ask any questions!
Was it this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVUqv0v1EE

I agree with the idea, but it really depends on how you define intelligence. Some people certainly have a greater willingness to become "smarter".

Working hard will get you better grades, but does knowing more facts and understanding more concepts make you more intelligent, or does possessing the ability to easily and quickly understand new concepts make you intelligent? This ability can be developed, but some people will naturally find this easier. Maybe intelligence is the ability to develop the ability to easily learn things? No; this is getting out of hand.
StarsDestination
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ombtom)
Was it this video?

I agree with the idea, but it really depends on how you define intelligence. Some people certainly have a greater willingness to become "smarter".

Working hard will get you better grades, but does knowing more facts and understanding more concepts make you more intelligent, or does possessing the ability to easily and quickly understand new concepts make you intelligent? This ability can be developed, but some people will naturally find this easier. Maybe intelligence is the ability to develop the ability to easily learn things? No; this is getting out of hand.
But people can see the grades and the results of the hard work. A bin man might have the fastest brain in the world but nobody would ever see so why would it matter?
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StarsDestination)
But people can see the grades and the results of the hard work. A bin man might have the fastest brain in the world but nobody would ever see so why would it matter?
"That's the problem with modern society."
StarsDestination
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"That's the problem with modern society."
I agree.
SageJiraiya
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Was it this video?

It wasn't that video unfortunately. I think intelligence is a mixture of the two things you've stated above.
jawsontheflooor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what's the link to the vid?
Bernie2016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do agree with this however certain people do have a certain aptitude for a topic, this is not saying that a person without that aptitude couldn't get to the same level without hard work though!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
You shouldnt limit it to just academic intelligence.
satanslilsis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Other than IQ intelligence discussed, I believe emotional intelligence is also really important.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads