Turn on thread page Beta

Stomach problems from anxiety watch

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for a few months now and a few weeks ago I started suffering some stomach problems which I'm 99% sure are down to the anxiety.

It seems like indigestion to me, for a little while it only happened when I was anxious about going out somewhere shortly after eating or if I was eating out but now it happens all the time. It gets worse throughout the day, I can manage breakfast and lunch fairly well and I still get hungry when I usually do, but when dinner comes round I can only manage a few bites and then I feel really full. If I try to force myself to eat as much as I do normally I just end up feeling sick, so I barely eat anything now. After dinner I feel very full and uncomfortable for the rest of the night.

I've been to the doctors about it this week along with asking about going on anti-depressants because my anxiety symptoms are getting worse, we're delaying that to see if taking my beta-blockers more often than I do now does the trick (pretty sure it won't but we'll see). When I asked what I should do about the stomach issues he just said basically that it should sort itself out when the anxiety is dealt with.

It'll be a fair while before I start therapy and at least a few weeks before I go on anti-depressants if that's what I need, so in the meantime, is there anything I can do to make myself feel better? I'm already using Tums antacids but they only work for a very short period of time. I'm also a bit concerned that I've developed a stomach ulcer since apparently stress and anxiety can cause these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for a few months now and a few weeks ago I started suffering some stomach problems which I'm 99% sure are down to the anxiety.

It seems like indigestion to me, for a little while it only happened when I was anxious about going out somewhere shortly after eating or if I was eating out but now it happens all the time. It gets worse throughout the day, I can manage breakfast and lunch fairly well and I still get hungry when I usually do, but when dinner comes round I can only manage a few bites and then I feel really full. If I try to force myself to eat as much as I do normally I just end up feeling sick, so I barely eat anything now. After dinner I feel very full and uncomfortable for the rest of the night.

I've been to the doctors about it this week along with asking about going on anti-depressants because my anxiety symptoms are getting worse, we're delaying that to see if taking my beta-blockers more often than I do now does the trick (pretty sure it won't but we'll see). When I asked what I should do about the stomach issues he just said basically that it should sort itself out when the anxiety is dealt with.

It'll be a fair while before I start therapy and at least a few weeks before I go on anti-depressants if that's what I need, so in the meantime, is there anything I can do to make myself feel better? I'm already using Tums antacids but they only work for a very short period of time. I'm also a bit concerned that I've developed a stomach ulcer since apparently stress and anxiety can cause these.
    Did you search this up or were yo told this by a doctor? Never search it up - google can really scare the hell out of you.
    However OP, I do have stomach ulcers (I have UC), so if you wanna ask anything about the symptoms I recieved then I don't mind you PMing me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Magnesium and probiotics may help with the digestive issues. Your GP is right in saying that it should go away once the anxiety is dealt with, though I wouldn't hold out hope for the beta blockers being effective as they're pretty crap for chronic anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    I had stress induced indigestion which came everyday no matter if I'd eaten or not. Tried Gaviscon but it didn't work. Went to the Doctor, they gave me acid-reduction pills. But ultimately, the only thing that worked in the end was becoming less stressed after all my work deadlines had passed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.