Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel when somebody asks if they can stroke your dog? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I adore Westies (West Highland Terriers) and Yorkies (Yorkshire Terriers) and find that if I am near them or am about to pass them, I ask their owner if I can stroke them, I just can't resist and it's the closest I'll get to having one unfortunately. I do feel bad for asking though, but I think people find it flattering. One lady thanked me for asking first as some people don't and I guess it must be frightening for the dog unexpectedly having random people stroke them. I do always gage the situation first though. Do you find it annoying if people do this when you're out with your dog? Does it happen much? x

ReputationRep:
    Do people really go round stroking other peoples dogs? I hate dogs alot would never touch one, should be a banned pet tbh too dangerous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is how I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person/how they ask vs. temperament of the dog. Had to resist the temptation to stop & stroke a cute girl's dog today :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind at all, I can't blame them my dog is a tiny Maltese terrier whose tongue sticks out lol, I think it's a bit annoying when people just come up and part my dog and ignore me but as long as you acknowledge me I'm fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I don't mind at all, I can't blame them my dog is a tiny Maltese terrier whose tongue sticks out lol, I think it's a bit annoying when people just come up and part my dog and ignore me but as long as you acknowledge me I'm fine
    I'd stroke your dog first and then stroke you so you wouldn't feel left out :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel weirded out because I don't have any pets. I would hope they didn't mean my ****.

ReputationRep:
    Thus far hasn't happened, I guess it does help that both my personal dogs are Rottweilers and most people are afraid of them.

I doubt I'd allow others to stroke them as the liability due to the damage and injuries they could do isn't something I'm willing to risk.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that they ask. It's just good sense to ask before you stroke someone else's dog, you don't know their temperament and it's a risk you shouldn't take. And it's definitely something parents should teach their kids, it's just dangerous otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly dont mind, and both of my dogs love it too. It's nice to be asked before someone just grabs them, though.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Dunno if its common, but you use good manners by asking, so I cnat see why they would mind, even if they decide to refuse. It should make the owner proud their pet has got someones attention, although theres a time and place. IP if you cnat have a pet , then why not bolunteer as a wlaker at your local RSOCA or refuge?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the dog. One will be happy, the other might try to eat you so I wouldn't let people pat her.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't happen much as he's a big slobbery boxer who's often covered in mud.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of weirded out because I don't have a dog...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.