Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've failed a couple of exams at the first level - does it really get much, much harder (because that's what I've heard) and I'm wondering if it's worth continuing with the qualification. I do have a lot of anxiety around exams which I believe affect my performance rather than it being solely an ability thing, but just thought I'd ask.

Background - I'm on a training contract with a Big 4 firm, and had a job before this and basically haven't done exams in years due to doing an arts degree... probably part of the problem. My fails were close hence why I've been allowed to re-sit. But then if I fail again, I'm out - and that's probably what's adding to the anxiety. Obviously I'm grateful for having been given another chance but thought I'd at least ask opinions of people who are in the process of completing or who have completed the qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Edited as previous post was too long - bump
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Afraid I can't really understand what you are asking here - can confirm that yes exams do get harder as you would expect. Whether you carry on is a deeply personal decision that only you or those close to you can help make so not really appropriate to advise on an anonymous forum.

ReputationRep:
    Exams do get harder at the professional level and the volume of content increases too. However, if you've never studied accountancy or finance before, the certificate level is going to be hard for anybody. I know a few people at my firm who failed a couple certificate level papers but then when on to pass the professional stage and advanced stage without failing any other exams. It's a bit of a "hump" to get over if you're not familiar with accountancy.

My advice would be to persevere and get the certificate level done at least. That's a qualification in its own right, and then you can give the professional level a go. The transition from computer based exams to written papers is so so welcome. Well for me at least!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the responses. I agree it's a very personal decision - I guess I'm looking more for personal experiences from people who have been in a similar boat to myself, or if people can share stories from their peers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.