Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear friends,

I came to the UK to do PhD, however I had academic circumstances ended up in changing my course to mPhil, in other words, my PhD course has been downgraded to mPhil.

I will be submitting my mPhil thesis soon, however, I want to apply to another university to study PhD, my question is: would this be fine? and will I be granted a visa to do PhD?

A friend of mine, said to me, as long as your PhD was downgrades to mPhil, now you will not be granted a visa to do PhD!!

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    So, it's not entirely clear from the official guidance on this - particularly, whether the 3rd point applies (as you will not technically be completing the course) or the 4th one - as it will be a higher level, but that wasn't the intention when you got your original CAS. 5th point may apply. I suggest you speak to the international student office at your uni as they should know or be able to find out for you. Don't rely on hearsay from friends about visa matters!

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/eligibility

Further study in the UK
    You can only get a CAS for a new course if you’ve studied in the UK before and you’re:

- re-sitting exams or repeating modules
    - applying for the first time to a new institution to complete a course you started at an institution that’s lost its Tier 4 sponsorship
    - applying to complete a PhD or other doctorate that you started studying under your last Tier 4 (General) student visa
    - studying for a new qualification at a higher academic level
    - studying for a new qualification at a Higher Education Institution (HEI) that’s at the same level of study and related to your previous course, or career aspirations

ReputationRep:
    As long as I know the university has updated the home office that I am doing mPhil now, so when I will be applying to visa for my PhD offer technically there should be no issue as long as I am progressing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    So, it's not entirely clear from the official guidance on this - particularly, whether the 3rd point applies (as you will not technically be completing the course) or the 4th one - as it will be a higher level, but that wasn't the intention when you got your original CAS. 5th point may apply. I suggest you speak to the international student office at your uni as they should know or be able to find out for you. Don't rely on hearsay from friends about visa matters!

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/eligibility

Further study in the UK
    You can only get a CAS for a new course if you’ve studied in the UK before and you’re:

- re-sitting exams or repeating modules
    - applying for the first time to a new institution to complete a course you started at an institution that’s lost its Tier 4 sponsorship
    - applying to complete a PhD or other doctorate that you started studying under your last Tier 4 (General) student visa
    - studying for a new qualification at a higher academic level
    - studying for a new qualification at a Higher Education Institution (HEI) that’s at the same level of study and related to your previous course, or career aspirations
    Thank you so much for your reply, I think I will be sending an email today to the home office explaining to them my situation and see what they say,

ReputationRep:
    As above, if you are finishing one course and starting another course at another University you will need a new CASS and a new Visa. Check with your International Office for advice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.