Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How I turned ACDD at AS level to a medical school place Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I thought I'd share with you my story as I know it would have given me a lot more confidence when I was struggling.

In my GCSEs I got 6A*s, 4As and a B with minimal effort, and I became very arrogant. I also started going out more and spent my weekends either partying or working.

It all caught up with me in the end and in my AS levels I got ACDD. (History, Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively)

I still believed in myself, however, and took the UKCAT and scored 710. I applied for medicine and got an offer. I resat almost every exam, dropped Maths, and still only got ABB. I had eased off the partying a bit and cut my hours at work, but I still fundamentally lacked discpline.

At this point I changed my attitude entirely. Twice I had messed up severely and it was apparent I needed to change my attitude to life.

I took the UKCAT again and got 715. I worked as a HCA in hospital for the year, and my attitude completely changed. The jobs awful and really made me think about how I got into that position and where I wanted to be.

I resat again in my gap year, whilst working, and achieved A*A* in the two A levels I resat. I resat my D in my AS level and got an A. I got above 95% in every exam, and did it all from home, on my own. I did this by doing every question in the textbook and every past paper multiple times until I didn't get anything wrong.

It still wasn't enough, however, as no medical schools were willing to interview a resitter.

So this year I applied again, for the third and last time. I once more took the UKCAT and got 772.5, after thorough preparation. I had cleared into uni for a different course so I had a fallback plan if I failed this time. I recently received an offer for a medical place in September, and have left my current course.

With hard work, discpline and perseverance I feel anyone can achieve their dream if they are willing to make sacrifices, and often the hardest route can be the most rewarding.

A book I'd recommend is 7 habits of highly successful people. I set a number of goals for the last two years beside medicine and achieved them all. I feel the importance of setting realistic goals cannot be underestimated.

I hope this is some use to someone.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for sharing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user 12345)
    I took the UKCAT again and got 715. I worked as a HCA in hospital for the year, and my attitude completely changed. The jobs awful and really made me think about how I got into that position and where I wanted to be.
    Are you saying you thought working as a Healthcare assistant was awful?

I'm thinking of working as a HCA during my gap year to get some experience in the medical field in case I decide to apply for graduate entry medicine, since I have an offer for biomedical science and I've begun to consider medicine as a career. Would you say it's worth it? What made the job awful in your opinion? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biffalo_)

I'm thinking of working as a HCA during my gap year to get some experience in the medical field in case I decide to apply for graduate entry medicine, since I have an offer for biomedical science and I've begun to consider medicine as a career. Would you say it's worth it? What made the job awful in your opinion? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, yes I would say its worth it as it gives an amazing insight into working in a hospital. Most of my interviews were spent telling stories from working there.

It is, however, a very dirty job and to be frank cleaning up bodily fluids is how you'll spend a lot of your time. It's also a rotating shift pattern that will see you work every hour of the clock unless you take a bank position (which requires experience.)

That being said I still work on the nurse bank now, allowing me to choose what shifts I work and when. Its good money for someone with no experience in any field ( you can earn between 120 and 170 a night depending on the trust and whether you work weekend/weekday) so it does have its pros and cons.

I'd go for it if your line manager is happy to give you shifts which don't conflict with your university schedule!

I'd recommend actively trying to think of ways to talk about whats happened on your shifts to impress interviewers, maybe even write down your experiences and how they made you feel/ reflect on them.

ReputationRep:
    What resources did you use for the ukcat and how much prep etc? Need as much info for the ukcat as possible. Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    What resources did you use for the ukcat and how much prep etc? Need as much info for the ukcat as possible. Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey I got the UKCAT 800 question book, (cant remember the number of questions) each time, the last time when I got the really hugh score I did every question and also there are a few free online resources.

I'd also like to point out it isn't an intelligence test, over the 3 times I've taken it I got 880+ in every subesction bar abstract(not all at once, over the 3 times), in fact the reason I did so well this year was because I practised abstract so much! I feel that shows that these scores are easy to improve on with practice, as my QR varied from 550-900 depending on the work I'd put in.

ReputationRep:
    What med school did you get into?

Congratulations and best of luck for the future!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got the UKCAT 800 question book, (cant remember the number of questions) each time, the last time when I got the really hugh score I did every question and also there are a few free online resources.

I'd also like to point out it isn't an intelligence test, over the 3 times I've taken it I got 880+ in every subesction bar abstract(not all at once, over the 3 times), in fact the reason I did so well this year was because I practised abstract so much! I feel that shows that these scores are easy to improve on with practice, as my QR varied from 550-900 depending on the work I'd put in.
    I got that 600q book but struggling to use a book when the test is in a computer format? I need to do my ukcat this year and struggling on where to start D: would going over gcse maths help at all? I really enjoy the SJT section lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I thought I'd share with you my story as I know it would have given me a lot more confidence when I was struggling.

In my GCSEs I got 6A*s, 4As and a B with minimal effort, and I became very arrogant. I also started going out more and spent my weekends either partying or working.

It all caught up with me in the end and in my AS levels I got ACDD. (History, Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively)

I still believed in myself, however, and took the UKCAT and scored 710. I applied for medicine and got an offer. I resat almost every exam, dropped Maths, and still only got ABB. I had eased off the partying a bit and cut my hours at work, but I still fundamentally lacked discpline.

At this point I changed my attitude entirely. Twice I had messed up severely and it was apparent I needed to change my attitude to life.

I resat again in my gap year, whilst working, and achieved A*A* in the two A levels I resat. I resat my D in my AS level and got an A. I got above 95% in every exam, and did it all from home, on my own. I did this by doing every question in the textbook and every past paper multiple times until I didn't get anything wrong.

It still wasn't enough, however, as no medical schools were willing to interview a resitter.

So this year I applied again, for the third and last time. I once more took the UKCAT and got 772.5, after thorough preparation. I had cleared into uni for a different course so I had a fallback plan if I failed this time. I recently received an offer for a medical place in September, and have left my current course.

With hard work, discpline and perseverance I feel anyone can achieve their dream if they are willing to make sacrifices, and often the hardest route can be the most rewarding.

A book I'd recommend is 7 habits of highly successful people. I set a number of goals for the last two years beside medicine and achieved them all. I feel the importance of setting realistic goals cannot be underestimated.

Hi, thanks for sharing this
    I was just wondering, did you make the third application whilst you were in uni? and then now that you have an offer you have dropped out? i would really like to know as this is my second application (I am in a gap year) and am currently holding no holders (apart from being on a waiting list). I do however have an offer for biomed. do you recommend me taking another gap year or going to uni and applying in first year?

I would be really grateful for your help. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wishingwillow)
    Hi, thanks for sharing this
    I was just wondering, did you make the third application whilst you were in uni? and then now that you have an offer you have dropped out? i would really like to know as this is my second application (I am in a gap year) and am currently holding no holders (apart from being on a waiting list). I do however have an offer for biomed. do you recommend me taking another gap year or going to uni and applying in first year?

I would be really grateful for your help. thanks
    Hi,

I applied whilst at uni and dropped out yes, you may as well go biomed and reapply from uni as it doesn't harm your chances of entry to graduate medicine and gives you a chance of gaining a place the year after!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    I got that 600q book but struggling to use a book when the test is in a computer format? I need to do my ukcat this year and struggling on where to start D: would going over gcse maths help at all? I really enjoy the SJT section lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No its not really like that, i think youre best off doing the practice tests online and the 600q book, the maths is actually easier than that in the actual test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biffalo_)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It really depends where you work. I've been lucky enough to work in a Paediatric A&E for coming up to two years now and I love it. A&E jobs are generally pretty interesting. It's definitely been worth it for me! I start Medicine in September

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I applied whilst at uni and dropped out yes, you may as well go biomed and reapply from uni as it doesn't harm your chances of entry to graduate medicine and gives you a chance of gaining a place the year after!
    Thanks for replying, I will defo consider this. Out of curiosity,which course are you going to drop out of? are you dropping out of it right now or are you going to drop out once the academic year is over?

I would also be grateful if you could let me know which unis accept applications whilst in first year as I know there are some that do not? also, when writing your ps did you mention that you were at uni?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just so lost atm! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wishingwillow)
    Thanks for replying, I will defo consider this. Out of curiosity,which course are you going to drop out of? are you dropping out of it right now or are you going to drop out once the academic year is over?

I would also be grateful if you could let me know which unis accept applications whilst in first year as I know there are some that do not? also, when writing your ps did you mention that you were at uni?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just so lost atm! thanks
    Ive already dropped out and its history! Regarding applying I know BSMS, Exeter and Plymouth dont mind you transferring courses after resitting, regarding simply transferring im sure there are more, you can either email all the med schools or check TSR list of them which i'm sure exists... Good luck!

P.S. Regarding telling them I'm at uni, i didn't out it in my PS but my teacher did in references

ReputationRep:
    i feel sorry for doctors. all of this hard work, 5 years in university then they end up having to be around diseased old people for the rest of their lives or find themselves surgically removing hemorrhoids from a guys anus.

simply not worth it - how much are surgeons earning straight out of university? in a live or die situation i would not trust a doctor who resat his a-levels 2-3 times. you can't resit someone's life.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, congratulations on getting your uni offer! Thats amazing! I'm kinda like you. I had ABCD in AS (dropped the B) and wanted to get 3A's to apply for medicine at A2. Instead I got ABCa. I decided to a gap yeat this year (worked as a domicillary care assistant) and to resit my exams, whilst applying for medicine. I now have two offers but the final step is to actually get the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAnon)
    Hey, congratulations on getting your uni offer! Thats amazing! I'm kinda like you. I had ABCD in AS (dropped the B) and wanted to get 3A's to apply for medicine at A2. Instead I got ABCa. I decided to a gap yeat this year (worked as a domicillary care assistant) and to resit my exams, whilst applying for medicine. I now have two offers but the final step is to actually get the grades.
    Good luck mate!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

Interesting story! My GCSE's are this May and June and I want to achieve grades like you did but I'm struggling with Maths as like you I can't get an A/A*

My sister was arrogant and I feel like she still is.

After getting her GCSE results she was really slacking off, although, I do admit that it was not entirely her fault but you can't scapegoat other people for your failure.

Although, I am not planning to study medicine, this was inspirational.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

Could you please tell me separately what you got in your GCSE's?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.