Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well this is one of my more entertaining threads...

Thanks for the replies guys, I will take the advice on board

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Well this is one of my more entertaining threads...

Thanks for the replies guys, I will take the advice on board

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great job pal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    For god's sake, I said if financial considerations were a deal breaker, the OP wouldn't be in a worse off situation. Then, I went and said that I rejected UCL. Which implies it was for the reason discussed prior to me stating that fact.

The fact that you came up saying I didn't reject it for Law just shows that a) you wanted to be confrontational for no reason whatsoever, b) misread my entire post and c) wanted to act like some sort of big-shot because you chose a preftigious non-numerical degree.

The only one trying to downplay anyone and brag here is you, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Princepieman hits back on the attack! How will @LLB with a big D ever reply to this? Find out on the next episode of dragon ball z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLB with a big D)
    You've been using that phallus line a lot, mate. It doesn't make you look clever. It rather makes you sound insipid. You wanted me to explain why the course you rejected is irrelevant; you invited me to discuss it. If anyone is making this thread go off topic, it's you who's being unnecessarily emotional. My initial reply to you was simple, magnanimous and you contested it to save face.

And how considerable is the phallus of the man who doesn't have the cajones to quote me? Yeah, that's right.
    dude you need to hurry up and lose your V and realise there is more important things than creating petty arguments over one person rejecting your dream uni, UCL.

Its a uni not your child, chill out, he rejected ucl so what - sit down and let people offer their advice without intervening

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    dude you need to hurry up and lose your V and realise there is more important things than creating petty arguments over one person rejecting your dream uni, UCL.

Its a uni not your child, chill out, he rejected ucl so what - sit down and let people offer their advice without intervening
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    For god's sake, I said if financial considerations were a deal breaker, the OP wouldn't be in a worse off situation. Then, I went and said that I rejected UCL. Which implies it was for the reason discussed prior to me stating that fact.

The fact that you came up saying I didn't reject it for Law just shows that a) you wanted to be confrontational for no reason whatsoever, b) misread my entire post and c) wanted to act like some sort of big-shot because you chose a preftigious non-numerical degree.

The only one trying to downplay anyone and brag here is you, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you not think I might have drawn a distinction between the LLB course and the CompSci course because there is an actual difference between the two? Why is it more sensible in your mind that I simply drew a distinction in order to inflate my own ego for I study law? The way you're speaking suggests to me you're somehow self-conscious about your non-law choice and are consequently taking it out on law-studying members of the TSR community. I think this is an outrage, especially for someone with your standing in the community.

If my uncle had a fanny, he'd be my auntie. We can play at conjecture all day long. What your post implied was that you were bragging, but I didn't mention that. I simply drew a distinction between law and CS. You then took affront and then rejected my post out of hand, being evidently emotional. I then explained the distinction, to which you again emotionally replied that I was in no special position and you in fact were in a special position, and argued vehemently that you in fact were not bragging. Emotion, confused messages, mention of small penises. These all suggest a man covering up his mistakes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by blackbluegreen)
    I am a final year LLB student at KCL and have offers for LLM at UCL and LSE.
    Fair game, you should have stated that in your post!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would go to London because of the cultural attractions.

WTF is going on here *popcorn*

ReputationRep:

You have misread the entire argument. It is not about UCL; it's about bragging. I have been quite happy to leave this thread, but the other poster has consistently replied emotionally and dragged me back in.

"There is more important things." Like what? Grammatical agreement?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do you not think I might have drawn a distinction between the LLB course and the CompSci course because there is an actual difference between the two? Why is it more sensible in your mind that I simply drew a distinction in order to inflate my own ego for I study law? The way you're speaking suggests to me you're somehow self-conscious about your non-law choice and are consequently taking it out on law-studying members of the TSR community. I think this is an outrage, especially for someone with your standing in the community.

If my uncle had a fanny, he'd be my auntie. We can play at conjecture all day long. What your post implied was that you were bragging, but I didn't mention that. I simply drew a distinction between law and CS. You then took affront and then rejected my post out of hand, being evidently emotional. I then explained the distinction, to which you again emotionally replied that I was in no special position and you in fact were in a special position, and argued vehemently that you in fact were not bragging. Emotion, confused messages, mention of small penises. These all suggest a man covering up his mistakes.
    Look man, just let the discussion be. I never take things out on others unless they begin with that angle because it would be a dickish thing to do, I don't operate that way. Maybe next time, don't call someone else's course a 'beta' course? I'm not quite sure how you've managed to victimise yourself in this situation - when really, you attacked my course and not the other way round - but for a second consider that the confrontation was on your agenda.

Conversely, if you never confronted me and even further, began to mock my course, this whole conversation wouldn't have happened. As I said before, you gave your input and I gave mine that was all the OP was asking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally, OP, I would not take advice from someone who has not yet started university and won't be studying law.

I had to make the same decision you have to make and finances were an issue for me too. I decided the extra cost was worth it (not just in terms of future career, but also social life and general exposure in London).

Bristol/Durham are solid unis for law, but LSE/UCL will likely provide greater exposure. If you are pro-active, you can go to so many events at law firms, legal organisations, Inns of Court etc. You don't have to wait for them to come to you, you can go to them. Whether this will make a big difference career-wise is hard to say, but I think being an LLB student in London provides greater exposure to the law and legal profession which can provide soft skills necessary to do well in your degree and secure TC/pupilllage.

For other degree courses and careers, I don't think location has a big impact. But for law, there is no doubt that it is incredibly London-centric. London is the legal capital of the world.
    You have experience in London, naturally. But you don't have experience of being at Bristol or Durham, or other universities outside of London, trying to gain access to London firms. For example, do you realise that the number of MC career events at Durham and KCL is the same? Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    You have misread the entire argument. It is not about UCL; it's about bragging. I have been quite happy to leave this thread, but the other poster has consistently replied emotionally and dragged me back in.

"There is more important things." Like what? Grammatical agreement?
    na i didnt need to read the entire argument to know he wasnt bragging and in fact offering advice to someone from his experience with offers from a shared uni, and that u got offended about him rejecting ucl and then decided to offend him back by saying his course is inferior to law.. when in fact course choice is irrelevant for law

yeah i already spotted that but does anyone actually proof read on here

ReputationRep:
    Look man, just let the discussion be. I never take things out on others unless they begin with that angle because it would be a dickish thing to do, I don't operate that way. Maybe next time, don't call someone else's course a 'beta' course? I'm not quite sure how you've managed to victimise yourself in this situation - when really, you attacked my course and not the other way round - but for a second consider that the confrontation was on your agenda.

Conversely, if you never confronted me and even further, began to mock my course, this whole conversation wouldn't have happened. As I said before, you gave your input and I gave mine that was all the OP was asking for.
    I was invited to explain my point, when you had full knowledge what my point would be. I might have not expressed it in the sweetest way, but it was not the manner I expressed it which offended you; it was the argument I presented. An argument you responded to by saying my course wasn't special and claiming that I have a tiny wang. Reflect on your own actions here.

ReputationRep:
    na i didnt need to read the entire argument to know he wasnt bragging and in fact offering advice to someone from his experience with offers from a shared uni, and that u got offended about him rejecting ucl and then decided to offend him back by saying his course is inferior to law.. when in fact course choice is irrelevant for law

yeah i already spotted that but does anyone actually proof read on here
    Because of your personal fondness of the person, you know the character of their posts without actually reading said posts? Well, it's great that you have such confidence in your instincts, but I have no patience to talk to a person who admittedly doesn't have a clue what the argument is about.

ReputationRep:
    GO forrr It! go on my son hit him with a left jab right upper hook nice one.

Princepieman a BETA course?

ReputationRep:
    Because of your personal fondness of the person, you know the character of their posts without actually reading said posts? Well, it's great that you have such confidence in your instincts, but I have no patience to talk to a person who admittedly doesn't have a clue what the argument is about.
    nude 4 nude?

ReputationRep:
    Please re-read my original post. That was precisely my point. The number of MC career events are the same (you can check on MC career websites - they tell you which unis they visit with dates). The difference of being in London is that for a proactive person they can go out and find more events going on in London. I attended a lot of public events, lectures, seminars, visits to Court of Appeal and Supreme Court etc. This can be done if you are in Bristol or Durham but a lot more difficult. For example, I sometimes pop into the Court of Appeal and sit in the public gallery to watch hearings. Now this doesn't have any direct bearing on career prospects, but it gives you great exposure. If you are like me and before university you have absolutely zero exposure to the law, being in London gives you the exposure and confidence needed.

Again, Durham and Bristol are fantastic unis for law. City law firms and chambers won't prefer a student from London over one from outside London for that reason alone.

I have not attended Durham or Bristol. I visited them at open days and I have friends there. So I can really only comment on my experience in London and common sense. Finances were also a concern for me when choosing a uni to attend - I asked myself the same question OP has, and I decided London was worth the extra cost.
    The wording of your original post was unclear. Apologies.

CofA and SC is a vaild point, but as you note it's not hugely significant. Whilst people might actively say that they're at the footsteps of the courts while studying in London, and it makes for a nice little catchphrase for your cover letters, few people are really going to go into the Royal Courts of Justice whenever they aren't in the library studying. Maybe they'll go once or twice, but then again I have been once or twice and I live 3 hours away. Am I less exposed to the legal world?

You speak with some persuasive authority. I worry that people might walk away with the impression "yes, London has greater exposure" per se, without understanding the minute difference in exposure offered by going to Durham rather than KCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinann)
    What a sh*t thread
    Aren't you a little *****.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you a little *****.

Trust me mate.

You do NOT want a verbal tirade with me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.