Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are London unis worth it watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    As an undergraduate I would go for Durham, personally. You'll have ample opportunity to experience London when you start work, if you intend to work there, and you'll be better able to do so because you'll be better funded (if your financial circumstances are similar to those of most students). Do your undergraduate degree somewhere pleasant and quiet and save the bustle and expense of London for later. The reputation differences between the universities you mention won't make a material difference to your ability to find the employment you want.
    Exactly my reasoning!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackbluegreen)
    For someone with no previous connections to the law, my first interactions with lawyers and judges was intimidating. Now I feel perfectly comfortable in chambers, in courts, working with solicitors, doing research work for practitioners etc. I feel comfortable with both the environment and the people.
    You say all this as though you can't just jump on a train from any provincial university to do vac schemes, mini-pupillages, marshalling, open days, or anything else you like, even setting aside the fact that law fairs and other law-related events go on at good universities all around the country.

This may add to your costs, but it will still be cheaper than paying to live in London through the year.

(Original post by JohnGreek)
    Reputation - the trio of LSE/UCL/King's may edge out Durham, Nottingham etc. ever so slightly in terms of internationl name recognition - which is important to me, as I'm considering moving to the US or Greece at some point in the future
    The point about international rep is a fair one, and if you think you may want to work outside the UK is something to consider.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    Exactly my reasoning!
    :five:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Depends which uni you go to. If you study it at Universiy of Sunderland then I agree, anywhere like Durham/Bristol/UCL then you're clearly mistaken

Posted from TSR Mobile
    STEM courses at London met > law at UCL

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.