Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'd be really grateful for any help regarding applying for a marketing Master's. I'm in my third year at Durham studying English and I got 68% and 67% average for my first and second years. I did a sales and marketing internship over the summer. I've also had a job whilst at uni as well as doing promotional stuff for companies like Target Jobs and been involved in societies, especially with promotion. I'm pretty happy with my CV at the moment, but I've been very depressed this year and as a result I'm worried that not only my grade will drop (I'm still fairly sure I'll get at 2:1) but that I'll get so-so references because I've not really been attending my academic commitments.

I'd like to apply to Sussex, Leeds, Newcastle and Lancaster and I was just wondering what people thought my chances would be like considering that my third year average might be a bit lower and that my references won't be staggeringly amazing! Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about possibly studying Public Relations or Advertising at the London College of Communication.

Royal Holloway have a great media and communications department.

They would put your english degree to more use.

Marketing is a great subject though for employability.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The only way to find out is to apply. If you meet the entry requirements and have relevant work experience then there's no reason why you shouldn't be competitive. You need a good personal statement and refs. Re, refs unless you've done something wrong or got into trouble for some reason there's no reason why they shouldn't be ok. They may not be stellar though. Don't you do a dissertation in your final year? What about your personal tutor?

ReputationRep:
    It does get tough sometimes but I'm sure if you continue to keep your eyes on the goal, you will finish great.
    Cranfield University has an eligibility tool for its Masters in Marketing that you could check out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.