Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Algerian architect graduated after 5 years studying in an Algerian high school of architecture in 2009, then I worked in an Algerian firm of architecture for 2 years to get the qualification to register with Algerian registration bored to get a licence to practice the profession of an architect in the liberal roll in 2012.In treams of the qualification I hold at the current time is there any possibility or suggestion what I could do concerning employment and apprenticeship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algerino)
    I'm an Algerian architect graduated after 5 years studying in an Algerian high school of architecture in 2009, then I worked in an Algerian firm of architecture for 2 years to get the qualification to register with Algerian registration bored to get a licence to practice the profession of an architect in the liberal roll in 2012.In treams of the qualification I hold at the current time is there any possibility or suggestion what I could do concerning employment and apprenticeship
    Why don't you call the RIBA? I'm sure they'll be better placed to advise you than a group of architecture undergraduates on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why don't you call the RIBA? I'm sure they'll be better placed to advise you than a group of architecture undergraduates on TSR.
    I spoke to them, they told me that I've to pass a test to be named as an architect here but I don't want to waste time and money I'm just asking maybe someone got the same position as mine

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to them, they told me that I've to pass a test to be named as an architect here but I don't want to waste time and money I'm just asking maybe someone got the same position as mine
    Well, if you don't want to waste your time and money to satisfy RIBA that you are competent then I guess you won't be practicing as an architect in the UK.

What further advice do you need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, if you don't want to waste your time and money to satisfy RIBA that you are competent then I guess you won't be practicing as an architect in the UK.

What further advice do you need?
    It's not about competent lol I just had enough from studying and having tests and stuff, I want to know what can I do with the qualification I hold at the moment that's all
    • Very Important Poster

It's not about competent lol I just had enough from studying and having tests and stuff, I want to know what can I do with the qualification I hold at the moment that's all
    No idea, but do you have the right to work in the UK?

What Howard said looks spot on. You need to talk to ARB and if your qualifications are not recognised directly then you have to take their prescribed examination. You cnat work as an architect without them letting you register and they wont let you register without the exam. If its not recognised it doesnt allow you to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people who are qualified as architects abroad and who haven't bothered to do the Part III exams, practice here in the UK working for various firms, however in my experience they hit a glass ceiling in terms of responsibility, promotion opportunities and are paid less than there UK counterparts or non-UK architects who've done the Part III. Effectively they take on the role of a kind of senior Part II architectural assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No idea, but do you have the right to work in the UK?

What Howard said looks spot on. You need to talk to ARB and if your qualifications are not recognised directly then you have to take their prescribed examination. You cnat work as an architect without them letting you register and they wont let you register without the exam. If its not recognised it doesnt allow you to do anything.
    Yes I've got te right to work in the uk ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Plenty of people who are qualified as architects abroad and who haven't bothered to do the Part III exams, practice here in the UK working for various firms, however in my experience they hit a glass ceiling in terms of responsibility, promotion opportunities and are paid less than there UK counterparts or non-UK architects who've done the Part III. Effectively they take on the role of a kind of senior Part II architectural assistant.
    Honestly I'm so confused

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'm so confused
    Basically my advice would be, if you're coming to the UK just for a year or two, for a different experience, it probably isn't worth becoming qualified in the UK. If you're planning on settling here, and want to practice as an architect for the foreseeable future then it is worth doing the Part III exams as soon as possible and get them out the way.

ReputationRep:
    Basically my advice would be, if you're coming to the UK just for a year or two, for a different experience, it probably isn't worth becoming qualified in the UK. If you're planning on settling here, and want to practice as an architect for the foreseeable future then it is worth doing the Part III exams as soon as possible and get them out the way.
    I'm not staying here forever just couple years then I'll go back, but I don't wanna lose my profession so there no point to pass the test for that I'm looking for a short course or something like that to practice that's all
    • Very Important Poster

Think thats what he is after. You would know.
    How would he go about convincing someone in an architects firm to employ him if his qualifications arent recognised by ARB? he doesnt ahve to sit any exams at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Think thats what he is after. You would know.
    How would he go about convincing someone in an architects firm to employ him if his qualifications arent recognised by ARB? he doesnt ahve to sit any exams at all?
    An architect's practice can employ who they want, they will assess him on the basis of his experience and portfolio for the most part. And they obviously wouldn't be considering him for a position they needed a UK qualified architect for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.