Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to Oxford Computer Science with A*AAB Predicted? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if I could possibly get an interview or even an offer at Oxford with A*AAB predicted grades? I presume they'd ask for A*AAA at the end of A Level but would I even be considered?

I did okay at GCSE with 3 A*'s 5A's a B and a C but I achieved 2 of my A*'s in Maths and Physics and the B and C were in Music and French which I presume isn't actually relevant to Computer Science!

I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics and hope to attain A*AAA - A*AAB predicted A2 Grades.

Did any of you apply with similar results and do I stand a chance of getting in?

Many Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MichelePascale)
    Hi, I was just wondering if I could possibly get an interview or even an offer at Oxford with A*AAB predicted grades? I presume they'd ask for A*AAA at the end of A Level but would I even be considered?

I did okay at GCSE with 3 A*'s 5A's a B and a C but I achieved 2 of my A*'s in Maths and Physics and the B and C were in Music and French which I presume isn't actually relevant to Computer Science!

I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics and hope to attain A*AAA - A*AAB predicted A2 Grades.

Did any of you apply with similar results and do I stand a chance of getting in?

Many Thanks!
    Your chances would ultimately lie in how well you can perform on Oxford's pre-interview admissions test - the MAT. It's a formidable test for those who haven't been exposed to a higher level of problem solving than A-level and requires quite a bit of preparation if you want to maximise for a high score. An above 50-60 score on it would net you a place at interview where you'll have to show both your suitability for the course and your enthusiasm for it.

Check out Oxford's Maths Institute website for prior papers of the MAT to get a feel for it.

Their standard offer is A*AA for CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.