Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently retaking year 12 to get better grades and I am curious as to howthis is going to work come December. Previously you needed to put in your ASresults and predicted A-Level grades from what I can remember however the new syllabusthat I am on for all my subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Psychology) has no ASexams at all and goes straight to A-Level after 2 years. How do you thinkapplying for UNI will work? Will we just go by our predicted grades until weget our final A-Level results and if so what will be done to counter schoolssetting ridiculous target grades for students so they have a better chance?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MangaCleaver)
    Currently retaking year 12 to get better grades and I am curious as to howthis is going to work come December. Previously you needed to put in your ASresults and predicted A-Level grades from what I can remember however the new syllabusthat I am on for all my subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Psychology) has no ASexams at all and goes straight to A-Level after 2 years. How do you thinkapplying for UNI will work? Will we just go by our predicted grades until weget our final A-Level results and if so what will be done to counter schoolssetting ridiculous target grades for students so they have a better chance?
    This has nothing to do with ucas.

Every university will continue to use the information available to make decisions. Most universities give some form of guidance on their websites about A level reform so check the websites of the universities you are considering.

Most ask referees to explain school policy.

Universities already deal with applicants with A levels, Cambridge pre-U, BTECs, IB, SQA highers/AH, irish leaving certificates, french bacc, greek and cypriot apolytariat etc etc etc. A change to A levels brings less reliability to predictions but they're already unreliable anyway.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Shouldn't affect UCAS - unless you mean the points, which in that case are becoming lower in points but of same value and some people do have AS exams like me but they do not really mean a thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.