Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to learn a new language (Spanish, French, Arabic) to almost fluent? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always loved languages, and got full UMS in both my French and Spanish GCSE exams. However since my GCSEs I've forgotten everything - I chose science A-Levels and I am currently in medical school.
    I've always dreamed of learning Spanish, French and Arabic well enough to be able to say I speak multiple languages.

I've been looking into different types of language courses, and I've found:
    • Intensive study abroad (eg 4 weeks of lessons in the country of your choice)
    • Group and 1-to-1 tuition in the city where I live
    • Rosetta stone.
    Obviously studying abroad is the most expensive and time consuming, but may give the best results.

Realistically, the latter two are more feasible for me as they are both cheaper and more easily accessed.

How would I go about learning these new languages from scratch? Has anyone here achieved it? I mean those who haven't studied languages at A-Level and University level - how do you go about teaching yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Snape actually made a potion specifically for language learning, I'd say the quickest way would be to contact him tbh

ReputationRep:
    I found this great app called MEMRISE, though there is an online version of it too if you don't want the app. I wouldn't say it's the best way of learning a new language, as it was more developed to test how the human brain gains memory. However, it is a good starting point for learning a language or remembering what you learnt at GCSE.

You can choose from hundreds of languages and in each of those are various courses such as "beginner"/"basic"/"verbs"/etc. It has someone reading out the words/phrases to you (though not every course has this for every single word) and tests your memory of it by reviewing words, making you spell out the words, set out the phrases correctly, choose an audio clip of the correct word shown, etc.

My suggestion is to try it out and if it isn't for you, then at least you gave it a go.

Oh and it's free too. There is a pro version which costs, but I don't think it's worth paying for the pro version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    Snape actually made a potion specifically for language learning, I'd say the quickest way would be to contact him tbh
    I am he and I don't know of any such potion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    I am he and I don't know of any such potion.
    Well then snape perhaps you should not be such a sh*t potions master? And make a potion.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use Rosetta Stone it is grossly overpriced for what it is and language learning need not be expensive (practically free unless you want guided tutors/certification etc.) in the 21st Century.

I do AS Level German (I have just started self-teaching French), but I've managed to advance my progress quite a lot by doing a few things - so tips I could give you would be:

- Listen to music in said language (and read along to lyrics) - will help pronunciation and listening skills soooo much and it can be a source of enjoyment in said language.
    - With regards to learning words; focus on specific topic areas that you'd like to know more about e..g if your hobby is football or something then learn football terms - this'll give you something to speak about with natives.
    - Grammar; various internet sites really - take a look around and find some sites which you find easily explain the grammar for you, or better so videos on YouTube can help a lot.
    - Type or speak to natives if you can, or people more advanced in the language. They can give you a lot of tips and it's great practice.
    - Try a site like duolingo/memrise/mondo or mondli I forget it's name/lingvist for french etc. they tend to help with vocabulary a lot.
    - Maybe start a blog where you aim to write in your target language every day or so, to improve writing skills.

And so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    Well then snape perhaps you should not be such a sh*t potions master? And make a potion.
    *Professor Snape. And I think that cheeky response warrants -50 points from your house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runescapian)
    I found this great app called MEMRISE, though there is an online version of it too if you don't want the app. I wouldn't say it's the best way of learning a new language, as it was more developed to test how the human brain gains memory. However, it is a good starting point for learning a language or remembering what you learnt at GCSE.You can choose from hundreds of languages and in each of those are various courses such as "beginner"/"basic"/"verbs"/etc. It has someone reading out the words/phrases to you (though not every course has this for every single word) and tests your memory of it by reviewing words, making you spell out the words, set out the phrases correctly, choose an audio clip of the correct word shown, etc.My suggestion is to try it out and if it isn't for you, then at least you gave it a go.Oh and it's free too. There is a pro version which costs, but I don't think it's worth paying for the pro version.

(Original post by Inexorably)
    Don't use Rosetta Stone it is grossly overpriced for what it is and language learning need not be expensive (practically free unless you want guided tutors/certification etc.) in the 21st Century.

I do AS Level German (I have just started self-teaching French), but I've managed to advance my progress quite a lot by doing a few things - so tips I could give you would be:

- Listen to music in said language (and read along to lyrics) - will help pronunciation and listening skills soooo much and it can be a source of enjoyment in said language.
    - With regards to learning words; focus on specific topic areas that you'd like to know more about e..g if your hobby is football or something then learn football terms - this'll give you something to speak about with natives.
    - Grammar; various internet sites really - take a look around and find some sites which you find easily explain the grammar for you, or better so videos on YouTube can help a lot.
    - Type or speak to natives if you can, or people more advanced in the language. They can give you a lot of tips and it's great practice.
    - Try a site like duolingo/memrise/mondo or mondli I forget it's name/lingvist for french etc. they tend to help with vocabulary a lot.
    - Maybe start a blog where you aim to write in your target language every day or so, to improve writing skills.

And so on.
    Just joined memrise, it's fantastic for the basics! I'll check out the other sites too. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    The most effective way to get to fluency level in any language is, of course, to work with a private tutor. There are a few good tutors out there, and some excellent ones. So look carefully. For German, the best agencies and companies offering German lessons are the Goethe Institut, tutorfair (though the quality of their tutors vary quite a lot) and Olesen Tuition.

ReputationRep:
    I am fairly near to being fluent in Spanish and I can say that speaking it LOADS is the way to go. I am living in Ecuador and all my friends are Ecuadorians, we speak in Spanish every day and they will correct me if I mess up. Immersion is definitely the way to go. Before moving I knew a fair bit of grammar, but one year in a spanish speaking country helps so much. Being surrounded by it is invaluable in my opinion.

But to learn it well you need to study grammar as well (if you are older than 12). Duolingo and a book called Madrigal's Guide to Spanish helped me so much. Reading things in Spanish helps too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am actually keeping a blog on TSR about my "Fluent in Four Months" mission. It gets rough at times, but I'm making progress. If you want to learn from my successes and failures, check it out.

I highly recommend Assimil German with Ease, Merise, Anki, and Spanish Pod101 for starters.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 30, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.