Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you survive on a student loan without parent's help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been living off £15 a week until recently, it's doable but remember to throw your dignity out the window when you stock up on irradiated Pot Noodles, GM Pasta and Radroach meat :yep:

ReputationRep:
    doesn't anyone here have a student overdraft??? It helps out alot, coz think about money can cause unnecessary stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackThunder10)
    doesn't anyone here have a student overdraft??? It helps out alot, coz think about money can cause unnecessary stress
    An overdraft should really only be there to cover short term cash glow problems, like a late student loan payment, rather than being used as free cash. Living to the means of a known income is a pretty important life skill

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about money then the single biggest saving you can make is on rent. A lot of the time University halls are expensive compared to private accommodation, so if you don't mind missing out on the halls experience you could find some other students to get a house share with, and you can usually find people for that sort of thing on forums / groups about your Uni accommodation.

If you'd prefer to not cut on costs too much, then it's usually pretty easy to find a part-time job while at Uni. Even doing 5 hours a week should give you £30+ a week, which dramatically increases what you can spend.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackThunder10)
    It's not worth the hassle if it's used irresponsibly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same boat as me, and i manage fine, i recommend buying certain food in bulk, seems expensive at the time but works out much cheaper, stuff like pasta, tea, rice etc that you can keep.
    Just budget, the freezer is your friend, waste nothing. I've never gone without i just keep track of what i've got and use common sense.
    If you really struggle consider supplementing your income with a saturday job or holiday work
    you can totally do this!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.