Turn on thread page Beta

Paris, Turkey, Belgium, now Iraq - 29+ Muslims killed in ISIS stadium bombing watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35901358

Just like what they wanted to do in Paris, and just as many killed as in Belgium. But they were Muslim and in an Asian country.

So let's see how the news and social media covers it and arranges tributes.

Didn't see a thread (no surprise).

ReputationRep:
    Baghdad has been trending on Twitter for the past few hours and several news sites have covered today's attack.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you cannot tell why a terrorist attack in Brussels gets more coverage than one in Iraq then the issue is with you, not the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If you cannot tell why a terrorist attack in Brussels gets more coverage than one in Iraq then the issue is with you, not the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Understanding and agreeing are two different things, you internet hardman you.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    How many times does this need to be explained? Brussels receives more coverage from British and Western media because of close ties and proximity, and because it is an extremely rare event for this to happen in Brussels.
    Why does that need explaining? We all know this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Understanding and agreeing are two different things, you internet hardman you.
    we can also agree that both are problems with islamic terrorism and islamic terrorism is more expected in islamic countries like iraq, especially when islamic countries like saudi and various islamic charities are funding islamic groups in iraq .

if you disagree with islamic terrorism perhaps you shoudl adjust your sights beyond the media

and fyi the islamic state of saudi has killed many thousand more muslims in their islamic war against shias in yemen this year alone - must have missed you thread on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know why, That doesn't make it ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    we can also agree that both are problems with islamic terrorism and islamic terrorism is more expected in islamic countries like iraq, especially when islamic countries like saudi and various islamic charities are funding islamic groups in iraq .

if you disagree with islamic terrorism perhaps you shoudl adjust your sights beyond the media

and fyi the islamic state of saudi has killed many thousand more muslims in their islamic war against shias in yemen this year alone - must have missed you thread on that
    I think you should use the word 'Islamic' some more.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should use the word 'Islamic' some more.
    that was for your benefit. it seems you managed to ignore that point in your initial diatribe

ReputationRep:
    A house in my street got burgled last month and naturally myself and neighbours were interested in this. Many houses miles from me get burgled everyday and we dont lose an ounce of sleep over it.

I wonder why that is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    that was for your benefit. it seems you managed to ignore that point in your initial diatribe
    I... made a diatribe?...

(Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Then why did you make the thread if you know what I was saying?
    Because it is news and a current affair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    A house in my street got burgled last month and naturally myself and neighbours were interested in this. Many houses miles from me get burgled everyday and we dont lose an ounce of sleep over it.

I wonder why that is?
    Because you're a bit of a *******? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere out there, in the vastness of space, an entire advanced civilisation has probably just been wiped out. At this moment, myriad versions of earth in other universes in the multiverse have just been wiped out by a passing neutron star.

I don't care though, because of how little it relates to my surroundings, and because I can't relate to it. Just like how I'm sad if a friend dies, but not someone I've never heard of. That's how caring works. You care about things which relate to your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Somewhere out there, in the vastness of space, an entire advanced civilisation has probably just been wiped out. At this moment, myriad versions of earth in other universes in the multiverse have just been wiped out by a passing neutron star.

I don't care though, because of how little it relates to my surroundings, and because I can't relate to it. Just like how I'm sad if a friend dies, but not someone I've never heard of. That's how caring works. You care about things which relate to your life.
    It's not like friends though, because most people weren't friends with anyone who died in Brussels or Paris.

How does Brussels relate to you? How many have ever even been there? Know what it looks like? Ever even met a Belgian?

I don't see the difference between a country and culture miles away and another country and culture miles away. I don't much care about any attacks so far in the sense I wouldn't have noticed had Facebook not told me or caught a newspaper headline in my eye, as it's irrelevant to my life as you suggest, though I still appreciate the loss of life is tragic and wrong, and certainly not to different degrees just because one country is a bit further away than the other.

ReputationRep:
    Saw this in the news before seeing this thread...
    Every time there's a terrorist attack on western soil I see a thread like this. I'm wondering what news everybody watches/reads? Because either side of the Brussels attack I saw a reasonable amount of news coverage on both the Ankara attack and this one.

Still, it amazes me that people wouldn't understand why an attack on western soil receives more news coverage in the West, compared to an attack in the middle of a war zone. An attack on Brussels or Paris, coupled with threats directed at other European countries, is far more relevant to us here in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Saw this in the news before seeing this thread...
    Every time there's a terrorist attack on western soil I see a thread like this. I'm wondering what news everybody watches/reads? Because either side of the Brussels attack I saw a reasonable amount of news coverage on both the Ankara attack and this one.

Still, it amazes me that people wouldn't understand why an attack on western soil receives more news coverage in the West, compared to an attack in the middle of a war zone. An attack on Brussels or Paris, coupled with threats directed at other European countries, is far more relevant to us here in the UK.
    What is 'a thread like this'? A news thread in a news forum reporting recent news? I'm sure you saw it on the news, there's even a link to one in the opening post. What relevance is this?

Yes I would also be amazed if people didn't understand why an attack received more coverage.

How many times does a European country have to be bombed to be considered a warzone, or before people just get bored?

I'm sorry to worry you, but militant groups and terrorists have been threatening the UK for some time, this is nothing new.

ReputationRep:
    What is 'a thread like this'? A news thread in a news forum reporting recent news? I'm sure you saw it on the news, there's even a link to one in the opening post. What relevance is this?

Yes I would also be amazed if people didn't understand why an attack received more coverage.

How many times does a European country have to be bombed to be considered a warzone, or before people just get bored?

I'm sorry to worry you, but militant groups and terrorists have been threatening the UK for some time, this is nothing new.

A "let's see how the news/social media/world reacts to this in comparison to the recent attack closer to home", "Nobody cares when Muslims die" thread.

You clearly didn't start this thread simply to tell us the news, based on your comments in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    A "let's see how the news/social media/world reacts to this in comparison to the recent attack closer to home", "Nobody cares when Muslims die" thread.

You clearly didn't start this thread simply to tell us the news, based on your comments in the OP.
    You're incorrectly using quotation marks. If you're going to lie, don't bother. A more accurate quote, as in the actual quote, would be:

"So let's see how the news and social media covers it and arranges tributes."

Evidently I'm seeing there is some slant on this forum, where people are jumping to their own defence from a "diatribe" (actual quote) that never existed based on either past threads that did this (judging from other posts) or their own guilt. Don't waste my time projecting that on me, I won't feed it your own issues, move it along.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.